PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Airlines and Hanoi..

tigersandsnowmen
7th Feb 2011, 11:12
Hi All,

After reading everything I can on Vietnam airlines. It seems there hasn't been too much said recently, and nothing on the Hanoi base for the A320 guys.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on life for a A320 driver based in Hanoi? What are the pros and cons or living in Hanoi vs Ho chi minh? Housing? transport? overnights?

I'm guessing by the lack of recent PPruning from Vietnam Airlines crews everyone is pretty happy with the job and lifestyle?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

L&T

Adrian Cronauer
7th Feb 2011, 14:34
Mate. Most of us are working too much and have no free time for Prune. Hanoi is quiet. There was an expat 320 skipper living there for a few years before he moved to A330. He seemed happy there on the A320 and didn't complain much. The local Hanoi A320 pilots are a likable bunch and easy to get along with.

PM me your email and I'll pass it on to that fellow. He'll likely be more than happy to answer your queries.

mach 84
8th Feb 2011, 04:08
have a look into this website, contains a lot of useful information,

Hanoi's Community Produced Local Expat Guide | The New Hanoian (http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/)

Adrian Cronauer
15th Feb 2011, 00:02
no matey. that chap is one of this mobs best captains! the rumour that he was fired is just rubish. nasty rumour perpetuated by a mob of jeolous wannabees.

PappyJ
29th Dec 2011, 16:54
Hanoi is the quieter of the places to live. Most of the complaints refer to the time spent driving to the airport, however to put it into perspective, if you lived in HCMC's district 7, you'd spend close to three times longer in traffic each way.

Most Hanoi based expat pilots live around West Lake, thus they can walk to the pick up point at the Sheraton Hotel where VNA provides transportation to the airport.

Socially, there is less to do in Hanoi than in HCMC, but the quality of what you do have is much better. If you enjoy outdoor activities, Hanoi and the north have far more to offer.

Costs of housing, etc are pretty much the same, but there are by far fewer. Landlord "games" in Hanoi than in HCMC.

Finally, the police will leave you alone in Hanoi, where you will be a constant source of income for the HCMC cops.

You can expect a number of days each month where you will operate from HCMC. VNA will supply a hotel which is comfortable, safe and conveniently located to HCMC's nightlife.

safelife
29th Dec 2011, 22:24
Are all new crew based in Hanoi?
Would a new joining A330 FO be based Hanoi?