PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help. Virus V Bacteria.

Loose rivets
5th Feb 2011, 06:11
I've had a sore chest for some days. Finally when a roving doctor said I could used some antibiotics that I had with me, I was pleased. Apart from the cost, I could get them going right away.

They are Ciprofloxacin 250s A tad out of date, but have got more on the way. She put me on 500 AM / same at night. The list of side - effects sounds insane.

The very sore patch on my lung seemed to be fading away and I started to feel well, but after 40 hours, throat turned to fire.

I just can't understand this.

Now it's unlikely I came into contact with a virus. Jut did not go out, the the Rivetess and I are very good at not catching thing from each other. Anyway, she had no symptoms.

What I'm worried about is that the throat is a virus, and the Antibiotics are damaging my immune system and making the virus flare up.

Equally, I'm concerned it's a crap AB, and it isn't containing the bacterium, and that's flared up. It's perilously close to the lung again now.

The roving doctor thought it might all have stemmed from my sinus. It was painful for a few days, and I did my salt trick with it. Seemed better, but it does make sense that's where the bug came from.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 'Strep' and a virus? So that I can take this or another antibiotic with confidence.

If it's a virus, I'll just put up with it, but should I stop the AB so my immune system can work properly?

NB I became very, very ill on an aircraft once, due to a crew mate coughing all day the day before. Flight had to be canceled etc. Horrible. Double pneumonia. From fine, to like death in 36 hours. So I'm a bit over sensitive about lungs.

SassyPilotsWife
5th Feb 2011, 06:41
Can you tell the difference between God and a Doc ? God knows he's not a Doc.

I am sure that same joke referenced a pilot too :) Basically, although we don't always want to succumb to paying someone to tell us we have a sinus infection " ummm yeah doc, i could have told you that and saved myself the 200usd bill" However.... being in the medical field I can tell you this:
"Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 'Strep' and a virus? So that I can take this or another antibiotic with confidence."

You need a strep test. They need to do a throat culture. Get it done. When it comes to any type of chest soreness, lung and throat, you need some labs done (blood drawn) and an Xray. In life, airway is number 1. If you have an infection, then fine, let it be treated. But it could be something else and unfortunately, it can't be diagnosed or treated in the cockpit :) My mother, a good friend and others I have seen come into the ER treated themselves at home for "chest cold" " "pneumonia" in which they self medicated with left over or otc antibiotics who actually had lung cancer. I hope you're better soon !!

gingernut
8th Feb 2011, 18:57
Bacteria vs Virus?

It's all a bit of a guess.

Empirical tests, (swabs, cultures etc) are generally not useful. (The labs tell us this.)

The clinical findings (listening with the stethoscope, looking at the tonsils etc) add something to the picture, but again, don't always give the answer-very rarely does a "barn door" case turn up.

Predictive tools (eg The Centor Criteria for sore throats) give us some guidance.

Factors also involved in whether or not a patient leaves the surgery with or without antibiotics include how late you're running, patient expectations and other medical conditions the patient may have.

My eldest has had two courses of antibiotics during her lifetime, the youngest (now a teenager) has had one.....not because I'm a bad dad, just because I believe that antibiotics would have made little difference to their recovery.

Of course, the caveat to this post, is, if you are worried about breathing, alertness, hydration, rashes or the duration of an illness, then seek medical advice.