PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel ... ok - eventually

BusinessMan
4th Feb 2011, 16:28
Interesting article that may be of interest on today's FlightGlobal.com telling us what we already know (that there has to be an upturn in recruitment) but also some good comment and Boeing's latest take on the numbers game.

I guess my thoughts are:

1 How soon will the effects actually start to be felt by all those guys & girls who graduated in the last 3 years and still don't have jobs? (yeah I know - that's been the million dollar question for a while now :ugh:)

2 Will the lack of finance available actually play into the hands of wannabe's because the airlines may find it necessary to start sponsoring again as a result ... and potentially quite soon? That's my personal view - that in the next 2-3 years we'll have a few UK-based operators funding pre-selected, sponsored cadets through training again.

Mods - apologies if you want to merge this with an appropriate other thread, I didn't look overly hard for one to add on to I admit :O

zondaracer
4th Feb 2011, 18:13
Let me help you out...
Cost blamed as training lags pilot demand (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/02/04/352730/cost-blamed-as-training-lags-pilot-demand.html)

Pilot demand may be forecast to surge over coming years, but flight academies are struggling to fill places - mainly because of a lack of funding for aspirants to a career as flightcrew members.
Working as a pilot has long been a dream job for many young people. The glamour and generous layover times at exotic locations associated with the airline industry's glory years, from the 1950s to the 1980s, have mostly gone, but a seat in an aircraft's "front office" still involves a wide range of demanding and satisfying disciplines...

Long article. I think there is some truth to the article, but it is cyclical. There is already a pickup in hiring in the USA as the effect of the age 65 rule comes into effect, and also in anticipation of the new 1500hr rule (some regionals are hiring with 800 hrs minimums).

I don´t think there will be a real shortage, but any kind of ¨shortage¨ will be good for Ts&Cs, bad for flight schools, possibly bad for FIs

You may also see military pilots leaving for the airlines too