View Full Version : website builder advice

call100
2nd Feb 2011, 21:54
My brother in law has asked if I could help him set up a website where he could sell some photographs, sketches and paintings he does. I didn't like to tell him I don't really know the best place to start.:O So, any advice would be welcome.
Nothing too technical and would need to be WYSIWYG with plenty of help.
Something that would be an all in one package - hosting etc -

Thanks..:uhoh:

Spurlash2
2nd Feb 2011, 22:04
There is a programme called WYSIWYG. Have used it on a 30 day trial, and very impressive it is. Simply drag and drop, no coding required. There are numerous other ones out there, and Coffee Cup is one that is free.

Trial, recommendation and personal choice at the end of the whotsit.

LilSparrow
3rd Feb 2011, 02:01
There are myriad web hosting sites that offer WYSIWYG content management systems (CMS), which is the 'back end' bit where you input your page/s content. Many are free or very cheap and, with a little bit of fiddling around if you've never done this type of thing before, are fairly easy to set up and maintain. Most are set up to allow for photo galleries, shopping carts, etc., as well.

Try Googling "web hosting", optionally with "free" or "(whatever your location is)", e.g. "Tracey Island".

One American based host that comes to mind is www dot doteasy dot com, but DO check for others, as the choice is huge! ;)

If you need further help and/or advice, I'm happy to help. Just send me a PM pls.

mixture
3rd Feb 2011, 07:08
If you don't know where to start, then probably the best place would be to look around the internet for a template that you like the look of.

Trying to come up with something from scratch on your own (even with a "WYSIWYG" type editor) will not yield very pretty results.

call100
3rd Feb 2011, 09:04
Thanks for the advice guys.....The search starts today.....:ok:

srayne
3rd Feb 2011, 11:58
Google Sites (sites.google.com) is free and may well do the job you need.