View Full Version : FCO or CIA?

tbonetone
2nd Feb 2011, 12:54
Hope this is the correct forum and I won't get moved on/slated...

Looking to fly to Rome this year. Interested in anyone who has flown there as SLF or Profs. Which is best in terms of the distance from Rome itself and the terminal etc?

Cheers. Love PPRuNe, especially all the superb pro posts on various subjects as an interested bystander. :ok:

chevvron
2nd Feb 2011, 16:01
Went to Rome twice in the '90s, both times were Inclusive Tours and we were flown to Ciampino (not sure but it could be that ITs go there and scheduled traffic uses Fiumicino)
I remember the coach transfer into the city was slow as the road was very congested.
I believe you can get a train from Fiumicino to Roma Termini Station; no such luxury with Ciampino.
We nearly got marooned on return the second time as Ciampino closed at midnight and our incoming aircraft was delayed; we got airborne about 1159!

Hartington
2nd Feb 2011, 21:44
Generally speaking Ciampino is used by charters and low cost carriers. Fiumicino by Alitalia, British Airways and their ilk. Ciampino is smaller and is nearer to the city. On the other hand there is a motorway and a train from Fiumicino.

I used to have the number of a private taxi firm in Rome which I used on several occasions. Can't find it, sorry. But the point is that they were reliable and much the same price as a taxi. Do a Google for "Fiumicino Transfer"; you'll find they probably serve Ciampino as well. Alternatively, ask your hotel (or friends if that's where you're staying).

For what it's worth I've stayed at Hotel Santa Maria - Rome (Albergo in Roma, Italia) (http://www.htlsantamaria.com/english/index.htm) on several occasions. It was originally reccommended to me by an ex colleague who had moved to Rome and used it when her family were visiting. Trastevere is a bit of a maze of narrow streets but it's close to the city centre and there are a good number of reasonable restaurants around.

Italy is an interesting mix. You need to be prepared to go with the flow wherever you go.

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd Feb 2011, 21:53
FCO for me.

Have been through both, albeit CIA was a long time ago.

Spent 9 hours delayed at CIA, there's very little in the way of facilities if this sort of thing happens, whereas FCO has lots of places to eat and shop to while away the time.

CIA is almost only served by Ryanair, so there's another reason to use FCO.

Transport to Rome is far easier and quicker from FCO despite it being further out from the city, trains are easy, quick, regular and relatively inexpensive. It's the road from CIA, either on a bus, or in a taxi, the bus is cheap enough, but he roads are congested and the journey takes a long time, thus taxis are a dear do.

Only drawback with FCO is it's size, which makes it fairly complicated to make your way through, but apart from that it's a much better airport for access to Rome itself.

doro
6th Feb 2011, 00:40
for me the best thing is taking a flight to rome fco,as in terms of facilities you will be helped..

as they told you there is a train which connects directly fco with rome termini station (this should cost 12 euros more or less), you also have taxi but it is not worth it because they are really expensive..

Ciampino is served by buses and the streets around are always congested..

tbonetone
7th Feb 2011, 12:47
Thanks all. The advice is much apreciated. Fiumicino it is.

Although I understand the Ryanair issues, would not choose RA simply from a SLF perspective i.e. you get what you pay for. I prefer a bit more from a flight, as I'm a nervous flyer, so I'll pay for the extras to help take my mind off the flight. Absolutely no criticsim of the crews of RA etc who are consummate profs.

Thanks again, and for the hotel/transport recommendations. Off to look at availablility. :ok: