PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XH477.

south pacific
2nd Feb 2011, 05:27
XH477 crashed on the Hill of St Colm near Aberdeen on 12th June 1963 with the loss of all crew . My best friends father was amongst those killed and i never saw him again after that date . Is there an RAF assoc. Connected with this tragedy ?

Old-Duffer
2nd Feb 2011, 06:13
I don't think there is an 'association connected with this accident' per se.

The aircraft was from 44 Sqn, thn based at Waddington and the crew were:
Flt Lts David Allan BLACKMORE 27, Arthur David ROPER 32, Jarrold Bartley ROSS 35, John Rodney CHAPMAN 27 and Fg Off Derek George FAULKE 27.

The 44 Sqn Association is the place to start and you might ask the Community Relations Officer at RAF Waddington, if the station scrap books/press cuttings have any information.

The aircraft crashed at St Colme Aboyne in Aberdeenshire and it is possible that the local historical society or aviation enthusiasts group would have put a memorial cairn or the like there.

There are several websites which deal with aircraft accidents in Scotland and I suggest a Google search will throw something up.

Hope this starts you off!

Old Duffer

south pacific
2nd Feb 2011, 12:06
Thanks for the reply OD. ill pursue that line of enquiry.

Softie
2nd Feb 2011, 13:24
See Vulcan XH477 (http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/vulcan_h-st-colm.htm)

Pontius Navigator
2nd Feb 2011, 15:55
I remember the incident report. The col of the hill was still covered in early morning ground mist. It was stated that rather than clearing the 'cloud' the aircraft just touched the ground mist and of course crashed.

davejb
2nd Feb 2011, 16:21
Edited - for some reason a post replying to a different thread ended up in this one...my apologies for the unintentional interruption.

Dave

Old-Duffer
3rd Feb 2011, 05:57
............ PN, have a care. You're getting dangerously close to a certain 'sticky' Thread at the top of this section!!

O-D

Pontius Navigator
3rd Feb 2011, 07:15
OD, IK. At that time it was very early days for low level flight and the war plans were not changed to low level until the July following. Also reports were written differently 48 years ago.

chantal chapman
23rd Jul 2015, 18:28
I would love a copy of the incident report as my dad was on this plane, JR Chapman. For the first time ever I am going to visit the site this weekend.
any ideas? anywhere I could get a piece of wreckage?
heres waiting hopefully!
c chapman