PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Landing at PTRO, KOROR Palau

eloigorri
1st Feb 2011, 04:43
I am planning to land at Palau PTRO, KOROR airport later this month and would appreciate any local knowledge tips for operating out of this airport.

I will be landing in my Piper Malibu Jetprop. I have the Jeppesen charts, which show a CTAF frequency. Is this airport not tower controlled?

Many thanks in advance.

Eduardo

PappyJ
1st Feb 2011, 05:32
There's only one runway which is oriented East to West. No tower, just a CTAF and the procedures are the same as any other FAA CTAF equipped airport. The airport is not controlled, but also not busy.

The airport is pretty much in the middle of the island. There is a parking/ramp area off the end of the 09 threshold, and a couple of hotels on the island.

Weather should not be an issue. Where are you flying from? There are issues with overflight permits, etc, etc in this part of the world. Also, depending on where you're flying from, you may have different equipment or regulatory requirements for single engine aircraft or revenue ops non-etops twins.

If you need further details or advice on the area, PM my your email address.

eloigorri
3rd Feb 2011, 01:28
Thanks for the reply.

I will be arriving from Cebu (RPVM) as part of a trip to the Philippines from my home base in Thailand.

Getting any response from the local authorites has been challenging to say the least!

PM waiting for you. ;-)

Cheers - E

slatch
3rd Feb 2011, 01:40
Another thing to consider is that it is non-radar, one in, one out, operation. To the extent possiable try to arrive at a time when no one is scheduled to depart or arrive. There are only a couple of scheduled operations a day. Be familar with FAA cruise clearances. You can expect to get one when arriving. If you need more information on how Oakland Center handles the Cruise clearances let me know.

eloigorri
3rd Feb 2011, 14:18
Thanks for the information.

I am not familiar with cruise clearances, and would appreciate knowing what to expect.

Thanks -E

slatch
3rd Feb 2011, 19:57
To keep it simple, Lets say your routed on airways to WEXGY or to a fix then direct WEXGY. I dont have my charts in front of me so I cant be more accurate. Lets say Manila hands you off to Oakland Center at 135 east at FL250. You contact Oakland, through Arinc and make a position report. You make your next positon report about halfway from 135 east to the airport. If there is no other traffic you can expect to get a response like "(aircraft) cruise FL250, report arrival" This allows you to decend any time you want and fly any approach you want including a visual. As long as you do not report leaving an altitude you can climb back to FL250 any time you want. Of course if there is other traffic it gets more complex.

CRUISE CLEARANCE
The term "cruise" may be used instead of "maintain" to
assign a block of airspace to an aircraft. The block
extends from the minimum IFR altitude up to and
including the altitude that is specified in the cruise
clearance. On a cruise clearance, you may level off at
any intermediate altitude within this block of airspace.
You are allowed to climb or descend within the block at
your own discretion. However, once you start descent
and verbally report leaving an altitude in the block to
ATC, you may not return to that altitude without an
additional ATC clearance. A cruise clearance also
authorizes you to execute an approach at the destination
airport. When operating in uncontrolled airspace on a
cruise clearance, you are responsible for determining
the minimum IFR altitude. In addition, your descent
and landing at an airport in uncontrolled airspace are
governed by the applicable visual flight rules (VFR)
and/or Operations Specifications (OpsSpecs), i.e., CFR,
91.126, 91.155, 91.175, 91.179, etc.

eloigorri
8th Feb 2011, 12:41
Many thanks,

That makes sense. I will know what to expect.

Cheers -E

gyro3
22nd Mar 2020, 13:57
Is non ETOPS flight for HKG-ROR. As you mention before, Cebu is (700nm) and Davao is (530nm) from Palau. One engine inoperative cruise for A320 is 390nm. So at your ETP which is your middle point, you are still within one hour. So in terms of planning you can have an airport that is 780nm away from Palau, and you are still within the one hour engine.

Noeyedear
22nd Mar 2020, 15:18
Hello, Everyone,
I will use this topic as I have some questions about Palau operations with commercial aircraft. Can you let me know if all of them are ETOPS approved. I saw Asiana airlines (A320) China airlines (737), Lanmey airlines (A320) operating there. As mainly is long distance flight ( around 4h flight) as far as I see, there is no Destination alternate aerodrome within 60 miniutes at One engine inoperative speed. RPVM Cebu (700 NM) and RPMD Davao (530 NM). Is it possible for NON ETOPS approved airline to operate there ?
I would like your opinion on this matter and how will you manage fuel policy ( for example from Hong Kong to Palau Koror) for Non-ETOPS approved airline

Thanks,

I flew into Palau a few years ago. We had a PTYA as a suitable destination alternate at that time.

gyro3
24th Mar 2020, 03:10
[QUOTE=latecoere240;10724471]I think you didn't understand my point. Indeed as an ENROUTE alternate still within the limit, but when you are over ROR these 2 are not suitable DESTINATION alternate aerodrome for NON ETOPS operation...

There's no requirement in planning/dispatch in our operations manual , with destination alternate within one hour of single engine fail and the engine fail over the destination. Most airline don't take this into consideration for dispatch, engine fail at destination airport and same time weather at destination below landing minima.

In terms of requirement, as long the route from our destination to alternate is within one hour of single engine cruise, it is sufficient to dispatch the flight. Between Davao and Koror (530nm), it still meet the requirement.

gyro3
25th Mar 2020, 02:30
[QUOTE=gyro3;10725956]

You should make some revision.... RPVM from PTRO is approx 01h40 min away and RPMD 01H20 away ( both engine).. So for you for a departure from PTRO to VHHH you will take RPVM or RPMD as take off alternate aerodrome as well if you are not able to come back to PTRO ?.

As Noeyedear said PTYA is suitable take off/destination alternate aerodrome in this case. RPVM and RPMD suitable for Enroute alternate...

As I see JAR-OPS/AIR-OPS ( EASA) is more clear on this matter ( CAT.OP.MPA.140) rather than ICAO. I checked on ICAO Annexe 6 and Doc9976 ( Flight planning and fuel management manual) with no really clear information....

For using Davao as destination alternate is not an issue. But take off alternate is a different scenario out of PTRO, if departing airport below landing minima without a takeoff alternate, a take off will not take place.