PDA

View Full Version : Conditional job offers?

felixflyer
31st Jan 2011, 21:05
Hi

I keep seeing the advice on here that you should not pay for a SSTR without a job offer in place. This would assume that someone had been through the selection process for an airline that requires a TR with the assumption that they would pay for the SSTR should they be successful in the interview etc.

Is this common? Wouldn't your CV just be filtered out and thrown in the bin with the rest of the CV's that dont meet the requirements?

MIKECR
1st Feb 2011, 11:20
Am I missing something here? Smooth Operator - are you telling us that you've paid for a SSTR with no job offer, and now your not a happy chappy??

portsharbourflyer
1st Feb 2011, 21:13
Felixflyer,

Heres some advice, ignore most of what you read on these forums. Research by other means and then do what suits your circumstances best.

You can spend ages messing around in GA trying to network your way into a job, but you soon realise the pay cut you've taken over twelve months is more than the price of a rating.

The right speculative rating can be a way to employment, between 2005 and 2007 speculative ATR and 757 ratings were a very good way to get employed.

In the current climate jet rating alone is unlikey to get you employed, but a rating + line hours? The employment rates are better than some of these forums would suggest.

ExcelXLS Driver
2nd Feb 2011, 22:04
I agree with portsharbourflyer, before the recession just a type rating with base training would suffice. I funded my own rating it took me 5 months to get a job but all worked out well.

My second type rating did not go so well and I have been unable to find work on that type however it was still positive experience and I have my jet time, which improves my chances.

Others I know paid for their ratings and got jobs, so it is a viable option.

BigGrecian
7th Feb 2011, 22:00
we're forced to follow them because airline management together with their incestious relationships with TRTOs see us as easy targets.

Complete rubbish.

We the pilots did this to ourselves.

We made it possible for them to exploit us.

We as a pilot body could have, and can prevent this.

Individuals have little affect but as a whole we can demand better terms and conditions.