PDA

View Full Version : Qantas saves the day

ROH111
31st Jan 2011, 11:27
It seems an all too familiar headline, Qantas this, Qantas that. And you know what, I get it. Their run of late has been as good as Australia's effort v England in test cricket.

But tonight, not Etijihad, not Virgin, not Onestar, not GoCat no, its Qantas. Qantas employees, Australian's, are flying to Egypt to rescue stranded Australians. The same thing happened after the Bali bombings, the Mumbai attacks and the uprising is Bangkok.

But where is the positive media? Where is the support? Where is the good old Aussie Aussie Aussie call!?

Egypt protests: Qantas 747 charter flight to pluck Aussies from danger | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/world/egyptian-police-clash-with-opposition-protesters-in-cairo/story-e6frfkyi-1225997627558)

To all the Qantas crew involved, well done! :)

FOCX
31st Jan 2011, 11:56
What? They've been chartered by the gov. So what is it that they're doing again:ugh:

Captahab
31st Jan 2011, 11:57
It seems an all too familiar headline, Qantas this, Qantas that. And you know what, I get it. Their run of late has been as good as Australia's effort v England in test cricket.

But tonight, not Etijihad, not Virgin, not Onestar, not GoCat no, its Qantas. Qantas employees, Australian's, are flying to Egypt to rescue stranded Australians. The same thing happened after the Bali bombings, the Mumbai attacks and the uprising is Bangkok.

But where is the positive media? Where is the support? Where is the good old Aussie Aussie Aussie call!?
To all the Qantas crew involved, well done!

Yep, and they are all doing it in their own time and the white rat is supplying the aircraft and associated fuel and other items for free.

Your dreamin son, how much is this going to cost the taxpayer, having the least efficient arm of QF carrying out the exercise.

:rolleyes:

neville_nobody
31st Jan 2011, 11:57

Well it's a government charter they are the ones footing the bill here it's not like QF are doing for free, so I don't see why they should get any free press over it. If it was a volunteer, QF funded flight that would be a entirely different matter.

Ka.Boom
31st Jan 2011, 12:00
The Aircraft is a charter just like any other.They aint doin it for nuffin'.Its being done for profit not for God and Country

Wonderworld
31st Jan 2011, 12:30
So I guess all the ones that moan about QF will take a look at it and say "ohh yuck, Qantas I'm not getting on that". Yeah right :yuk:

dizzylizzy
31st Jan 2011, 12:35
So why didn't the Australian Govt choose V Australia?

Capt Fathom
31st Jan 2011, 12:39
Does V Australia have aircraft available in Europe?

ferris
31st Jan 2011, 15:23
So why didn't the Australian Govt choose V Australia? They didn't want to risk an aircraft with any value.

Artificial Horizon
31st Jan 2011, 18:07
Boy, tough crowd :}

ROH111
31st Jan 2011, 19:17
I stand corrected. This morning on Sunrise and the Today show, Qantas has received plenty of positive media coverage. It's good to have media support for our national carrier when they are out there rescuing stranded Australians once again.

I never said they were doing it for free. Contracted out or not, they are supplying equipment, logistics and crew to save many.

I think some of you here are, jealous...

forgetabowdit
31st Jan 2011, 19:29
Meh... I save many everyday... One take off and one landing at a time...

Saving lives I tells ya!

Hard to lease out a 777 to save the masses when ya only got 5...

Shouldn't forget the hundreds of bored Toorak Housewives and semi-retired Plastic Surgeon husbands that they save each year by accepting to take them on the Captains Choice Charters too.

Bravo to Qantas. We're all heroes. (cue choir...)

Skynews
31st Jan 2011, 20:22
The most expensive ar of QF, They didn't have much choice.
Jetstar? Better off staying in Cairo, at least you get water, probably be a few days late anyway. It will be all over by the time they got there.

Mr.Buzzy
31st Jan 2011, 21:05
Hard not to pick QF! I mean every time those pollies taxi around Mascot in the "Envoys" it's hard not to notice all those dinosaurs sitting idly around, just begging for a job!

Bbbbbbbzbzzrrrrrooooooaaaaarrrrrzzbzbzzzzzzzz

Sunfish
31st Jan 2011, 21:33
I can see the headline:

Engine Failure Strands Rescue Qantas 747 at Cairo Airport.

ROH111
31st Jan 2011, 21:37
Let's just hope QF send a -400 with GE's... :}

RampDog
31st Jan 2011, 22:08
Maybe we could send Capt JT and his 707, along with Saint Oprah. Now that would maximise the value of the charter and also encourage more tourism from that part of the world. Everyone always says that QF are not doing enough to promote new routes/business - give it a go :eek:

Seriously though, we have C17s that could be utilised for this type of mission, or are they too busy delivering camel feed in regions nearby?

"Don't knock cynicism, it keeps everything in perspective!"

balance
31st Jan 2011, 22:28
Boy, tough crowd

Very polite. I would have said a bunch of f-wits who will take any opportunity to critisize that which is not their own.

Qantas donated around $1M to the Queensland floods. How much did Etihad, Emirates, Virgin etc donate?

Qantas is always there when something goes wrong. Okay, this might be a paid charter, but more often than not they do it gratis.

Credit where it is due, people. Do you guys really expect Qantas to operate always for free?

hotnhigh
31st Jan 2011, 22:34
Balance, I believe Etihad did make a contribution.
Word from mascot, Jetstar to operate on the "leisure" route into Luxor so as to not cannibalise another mainline route.:}

puff
31st Jan 2011, 22:55
balance - checking Disaster recovery assistance for communities affected by flooding, severe storms and fires - Initiatives - The Premier of Queensland (http://www.thepremier.qld.gov.au/initiatives/disaster_recovery/donations.aspx) actually shows Etihad making greater contributions than Virgin and Qantas ! Even if it hasn't been updated, Etihad has made quite a large contribution !

slice
31st Jan 2011, 23:31
Qantas donated around $1M to the Queensland floods. How much did Etihad, Emirates, Virgin etc donate?

Virgin - almost as much.

Qantas is always there when something goes wrong - unfortunate choice of words there I think balance.:E

S70IP
1st Feb 2011, 00:30
Virgin with raising donations and own donation about $2 Mil

Old Fella
1st Feb 2011, 00:42
RampDog, I suspect 36 Squadron and their C17's are pretty well stretched with military requirements. If Qantas are able to provide an aircraft and crew to evacuate people from Egypt then that is a reasonable way to go. As for the knockers, what have any of them ever done for anyone? Probably bugger all.

unionist1974
1st Feb 2011, 00:45
Well done QF they always step up in times of need , well done the crew. Shame on the knockers and whingers , what have you done to assist ? Thats right sweet FA.

Sue Ridgepipe
1st Feb 2011, 00:46
I assume they will use an aircraft that would otherwise be sitting idle for a few hours in London or Frankfurt, so why not make a bit of extra cash when they can, but they're certainly not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

balance
1st Feb 2011, 00:54
Good grief. And the stupidity goes on.

Sue, your point is? Is there anyone out there who want to do this for free? Do YOU want them to?

For f*cks sake, stop knocking Qantas without some form of rational basis. You mob sound as ill informed, ignorant and frankly, stupid as most of the media.

Hmm, quite right, slice. Better rethink that one! :\

biton
1st Feb 2011, 00:57
I suggest they rename this website "Professional Princess' Rumour Network".

Seriously, some of you blokes need to harden up! Especially you ROH111. You sound like you're kept up at night by what some people say on here about where you work. GET OVER IT!

forgetabowdit
1st Feb 2011, 00:59
I don't think anybody is disputing the worthiness of the cause or the favorable outcome regarding the Qantas charter or the flood donations. But the facts are there to see... No ones knocking dude. Qantas was approached for a charter. If they couldn't do it, the Govt would have found some one else to satisfy their objective. We are in the business of moving people, if qf had a jet they could use to do a job, good for them. It ain't free though. Different story if it was a donation. The A330 that did that epic SAR of the WA coast was driven by goodwill, but still invoiced as a job. Again, great outcome, but still just another charter. It's what we do.

With regards to the 'we gave more than you' crap for the floods... Ah, makes me laugh how it is analyzed as an indicator of how much the companies care... Twats... How about this... Find the ratio of donation given, to profit of each airline. What about, label all companies as unaustralian should they not give money. Etihad is a foreign company that isn't even making operating profit. How about, attack individuals with questions like how much did you give...? $10 $500, 1% of yr pre tax income, an hour of your time to help clean up?

Rest easy boys, deep breaths... It's all part of the business...

Sue Ridgepipe
1st Feb 2011, 01:25
Sue, your point is? Is there anyone out there who want to do this for free? Do YOU want them to?
For f*cks sake, stop knocking Qantas without some form of rational basis.
Dude, lighten up. I'm not knocking Qantas, as I said, why not make a bit of extra cash when the opportunity arises.

My point is directed at the OP who seems to suggest that we should be congratulating Qantas for being heroes and coming to the rescue of the Aussie punters. Sure if they were doing it for free, then yes I would agree. But they're not (and I wouldn't expect them to) they're just doing another paid charter so why should they get any kudos for it.

FOCX
1st Feb 2011, 02:14
Balance, I think you're un-balanced:eek:.

Ken Borough
1st Feb 2011, 02:47
Some of what is here is correct. A lot of it is goold old Australian knocking. On balance, balance is right! As for the knockers, SHUT UP! :ok:

Mr.Buzzy
1st Feb 2011, 03:09
Maybe they should have sent the job to Jitconnict.

Wi'll do it chipper fir liss eye bro!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Keg
1st Feb 2011, 03:20
Drat. Read the entirety of this thread. That's 10 minutes of my life I'm never getting back! :{

4Greens
1st Feb 2011, 03:45
I'm appalled by the tone of this thread.

Apart from any commercial considerations there is a fair to middling risk to the crew and all involved with this flight to Cairo. Have done similar missions and its not all teacakes and roses.

Enough said.

Mr. Hat
1st Feb 2011, 04:08
I think some of you here are, jealous...

Who wouldn't be? Great conditions. Good on em.

How much did Etihad, Emirates, Virgin etc donate?

Virgin with raising donations and own donation about $2 Mil

hmm did someone mention fwits?

psycho joe
1st Feb 2011, 04:09
Apart from any commercial considerations there is a fair to middling risk to the crew and all involved with this flight to Cairo...

Turn it up.:rolleyes:

(enough said)

balance
1st Feb 2011, 04:18
Unbelievable. Time to lock it, mods....

Sunfish
1st Feb 2011, 04:21
Should have chartered Garuda, more reliable.

7378FE
1st Feb 2011, 05:43
Drat. Read the entirety of this thread. That's 10 minutes of my life I'm never getting back! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

It took you 10 mins to read this thread? 4 at the most.

Anyway, if VA were operating to Abu Dhabi, maybe the government would have chartered the 777 from there, maybe they would have got both QF & VA to do flights, It just came down to having available aircraft and crew for the job.

Qanchor
1st Feb 2011, 06:18
All you QF (read, QF Group) knockers better be careful, you're breaking rule no. 1 of D, G & P.
This thread wil be locked if you continue with this dissent, look at what happened to Sorry Jetstar but wont fly with you again (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/440983-sorry-jetstar-but-wont-fly-you-again.html) :=

qfcabin
1st Feb 2011, 06:21
Arggggh...kill me now! Where are the mods?

Keg
1st Feb 2011, 06:45
It took you 10 mins to read this thread? 4 at the most.

Extra time due to looking at the profiles of posters as I couldn't work out how so many nongs had congregated on the same thread. Thought they all must have had something daft in common. :E

I was right but not because of their profiles. :ok: :}

ROH111
1st Feb 2011, 07:12
I've also read today Qantas are providing extra capacity ex Cairns and Townsville due to the cyclone.

Always there when you need them!

biton
1st Feb 2011, 08:01
Oh ROH111, I get it. This is a send up. Now we know this perhaps the thread can be put where it belongs.

balance
1st Feb 2011, 08:07
Shut it down, Yes.

But for the right reasons. Those being the dimwitted "I'm going to knock Qantas even though I've no reason to other than they are an airline I dont work for and by the way I have an IQ in single figures" crowd.

ALAEA Fed Sec
1st Feb 2011, 08:21
As critical as I can be sometimes, today the ALAEA received a call from Qantas management advising us that Qantas LAMEs in Cairns have been given the week off work on full pay because of the cyclone. The could have enforced a clause in the EBA for no pay due to circumstances beyond their control.

In my view they do act responsibly and reasonably during times of crisis and their actions today have not gone unnoticed. :ok:

ROH111
1st Feb 2011, 08:27
What's wrong biton... Did I say anything that is not a rumour, something that isn't news? Oh I did only mention things that were a rumour and or news.

Why shut the thread down? Are you worried because other carriers are having a bad press day, read: VOZ, and Qantas are getting all the good press?

Relax, princess.

biton
1st Feb 2011, 09:06
The thing is that qantas are doing nothing more nor less than their competitors here. As stated, the Cairo flight is a government charter and they will not be doing it for charity. Re the cyclone situation, vb and jetstar also put on extra flights and for the record, would you care to see how much they are all charging. And you start this thread to claim Qantas are some sort of hero airline. Are you kidding? Yes, they have copped a lot of media attention of late but to run a thread like this just makes you look naive and desperate. You keep running with it though, I'm sure it will provide us all with much amusement. There are more relevant stories out there, as fed sec has alluded to, like how the various airlines treat their staff at times like these. There are many stories where an airline has gone over and above and these are much more relevant than the examples you're using.

airtags
1st Feb 2011, 09:52
shall we resolve the petty conflict by being factual:

1. It's a charter at a commercial rate - not subject to competitive tender but a quasi-given obligation under the national flag carrier status
2. The flight is crewed by those willing to do it - except in the case of CC wherein the company's position is that in the event of insufficient CC volunteers it will force the crew to operate (ie disregard the hostile/war like provision agreements)......which will probably see the non unionised LHR crew being thrown in. [opinion: well done to the UK unions who are too busy worry about their BA staff travel]
3. There is nothing noble, gracious or brave being done whatsoever - so pls don't nominate AJ for next year's Australian of the Year.......however....
4. those pax wanting to get out will be (and should be grateful to the taxpayer) ...(relatives pls note the nomination link on the qantas website)
5. the choir/travolta/selected sports celebs/& Olivia are not required for the arrival into YSSY
6. QF corporate wank dept - pls refer item 5 above
7. cue the mods to ditch the thread

AT :E

teresa green
1st Feb 2011, 10:55
Etihad donated 1 mill. I am more envious of the crew going into Cairo. Never did one of those runs.

nitpicker330
1st Feb 2011, 12:27
Yes and why are they only doing 1 flight to Europe?
Surely they could do a couple of shuttles to DXB and thus extract a few more stranded Aussies in the process. 400 pax wont be enough surely?

ROH111
1st Feb 2011, 21:45
There is now a second rescue flight.

Second Qantas jet set for Egypt evacuations | News | Business Spectator (http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Qantas-jet-set-to-evacuate-400-Aussies-DNQEP?OpenDocument&src=tnb)

teresa green
1st Feb 2011, 23:22
How much the airfare out of Cairo. Must say very disappointed in all airlines that chose to charge PAX 600 bucks to get out of CNS/BNE. Tough luck for mum and the kids if they did not have the money. Even tougher if they lose they lives, because underfunded. The QF DRW flight after Tracy cost not a cent, nor did it cost on TAA (I know because I took a F27 out of there full of ladies about to give birth) to the Alice. The F/O and I were petrified, we pulled the curtain in case we had to see something we did not want to see, (two were in labour) and yes we had two doctors and some nurses aboard, (thank God). Of course both airlines were owned by the Govt at the time, but that does not explain why a little common decency cannot be exercised today.

Ken Borough
2nd Feb 2011, 03:45
This should shut-up all the nay-sayers etc etc etc

From smh.com.au today 2Feb

Qantas offers free onward flights to Aussies fleeing Cairo

Andrew Heasley

February 2, 2011 - 2:37PM

Australians fleeing the unrest in Cairo who manage to get on the special evacuation government-chartered Qantas flights to Frankfurt are being offered free onward flights to Australia.

The free flights to Australia will leave from either Frankfurt or London on Qantas.

Staff from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will be on the relief flights to organise the details of people wishing to get home on the free flights.

While Qantas says they have sufficient seats available for passengers who arrive at Frankfurt for their sector to Australia, there may be additional capacity on flights leaving London.

Qantas spokesman Thomas Woodward said some passengers may chose to go to London for the flight home as there may be earlier flight availability, while there may be a wait for seats on flights out of Frankfurt.

If passengers chose to travel from Frankfurt to London, they must do so under their own arrangements, the airline said.

In order to qualify for the free flight home, Qantas says:
"■ Passengers must have travelled on the Australian Government's evacuation charter flights from Cairo to Frankfurt;

"■ All flights are subject to availability although at this stage there is sufficient capacity to take passengers from either Frankfurt or London; and

"■ Passengers travelling to Australia from London will be required to make their own arrangements for transfer from Frankfurt to London."

The first Qantas relief flight chartered by the Australian Government will be on QF6020 which is due to leave Cairo at 4pm today local Egyptian time (1am Thursday ADST).

The flight code and schedule for the second relief flight from Cairo has not yet been settled — negotiations with Egyptian air authorities are continuing — but is likely to be 24 hours after the first flight, Mr Woodward said.

The federal government has chartered a Qantas 412-seat Boeing 747 but there are at least 1200 Australians registered with Australian embassy in Cairo.

On second thoughts, Qantas' generous gesture (:D:D:D) won't silence the mob. Now we'll have snide comments about loads, impact on Staff Travel or even the fact that the Cairo refugees will have to find their own way to London. :ugh::ugh:

flyhigh744
2nd Feb 2011, 03:46
Just been announced by the PM that Qantas will be providing free flights for those affected by the unrest in Egypt.

I don't have a newspaper source, but she just mentioned this in her announcement on 7news.

So, all you QF-Bashers, what will you criticise about QF now?

Sure, it came a little late, but the service is there.

'holic
2nd Feb 2011, 03:47
PM just announced Qantas has offered free onward flights out of FRA or LHR for pax carried on the charter flights.

How are you going to negative spin that one fellas?

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 03:49
Just heard Julia Gillard announce that Qantas has offered free onwards travel for those evacuated from Cairo. Ms Gillard stated the Governments sincere appreciation for Qantas kind gesture.

Guess we will shortly hear a retraction and a humble apology from a few of those f-wits who have chosen this forum to denigrate our national carrier, who "is always there".

And in fairness for those who will knock the fares charged out of Cairns, remember, the flights were additional, and they came in empty. No one paid for the flights in, therefore, significant cost that would need to be recouped. I'm not justifying it, it just is. Anyway, I'm not at all sure I'd pay $6 for a Jetstar flight, let alone $600. I'd rather face the cyclone.

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 04:00
Easy, as from my former post, where are the free flights out of CNS and TSV? These people are in bigger danger, than tourists from the Nile, who might have a few hot and uncomfortable days in the airport. 600 bucks indeed. A disgrace. You cannot expect the Airforce to take the whole bloody lot, some people are not suitable to be strap hangers. There have been no talk of deaths amoungst Australians in Cairo, but there will be deaths tonight, right here at home, if this thing keeps on building. QF, JQ and the rest need a bollocking over this one. All in the name of the shareholder. A :mad: disgrace.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Feb 2011, 04:02
Sunny....wash your mouth....

With a good 'red' of course.....:ok:

I'm with you 'TG'.....:ok::ok:

OneDotLow
2nd Feb 2011, 04:03
Whilst John Borghetti is on the QF bandwagon, perhaps he should challenge Virgin to offer a few free flights too! :ok:

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 04:12
What the? I've just had a flash of the twilight zone where Teresa lives.

Since when is "QF, JQ and the rest" regarded as the Salvation Army?

A reminder, FNQ and the rest of Nth Aust for that matter, is cyclone prone. These people CHOOSE to live there. They CHOOSE to vacation there. Now, by your logic Teresa, QF, JQ "and the rest (whom I notice you fail to designate who the sh1t the rest actually are - dont they rate a mention?) are suddenly REQUIRED to be a charity organisation? UN-FRICKING-BELIEVABLE.

You seriously believe that everything should be given to you on a platter? No payment required?

You commie left wing hypocritical fool. Go vote for Julia and Bob Brown, you halfwit.

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 04:19
Oh, and from the Qantas website:

On Tuesday 1 February, Qantas provided six additional flights from Cairns to Brisbane to assist with evacuation efforts. Extra capacity was also provided out of Townsville.

Fare waiver options are available for Qantas customers holding bookings for flights to and from airports in the affected regions. These are listed on the Major Disruptions section of qantas.com and will be reviewed regularly.

Qantas is working closely with the Queensland Government and will provide as much as assistance as possible to affected communities over the coming days. During the recent flooding in Queensland,

Qantas increased capacity for regional areas and uplifted emergency services personnel and emergency freight, as well as offering considerable fundraising assistance.

Bite me, TG, you bigoted fool.

ampclamp
2nd Feb 2011, 04:29
Good on them.Good PR.
Better than another engine blowing!:}

C441
2nd Feb 2011, 04:29
...and here I am just quietly thinking "who's going to pay for the infrastructure rebuild in FNQ. That'd be me probably...and you...and you. Time to cast off some of that NBN spending Julia. We cant afford it."

Thread drift?...someone mentioned Julia a moment ago:rolleyes:
If she can afford 40+ bill for the NBN she can afford a few jumbos to Cairo and back from FRA.

Bugger. Just woke up and its not a dream....

Sunstar320
2nd Feb 2011, 04:46
"The Government" is paying for these Egypt flights, not Qantas!

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 04:50
Gillard isn't, the Government is. And if you bothered to read the post more carefully, you would see that Qantas is on carrying these passengers for free from LHR or FRA.

RTFP.

Edit: Sunstar original post alleged that Gillard was paying....

Minimbah
2nd Feb 2011, 05:56
I minds the time when there was a weekly Qantas charter from Sydney to Saigon. I can remember seeing that Read & White 707 on the tarmac at Ton Son Nhut after 12 months in SVN and being very happy they were there. Yes, it was a defence charter, but it was not unknown for Ton Son Nhut to be mortared or rocketed and the crews all new that.

If you are sitting at the airport in Cairo with a mad crowd behind you, the best thing you are ever going to see is a White Rat on the tail of the aircraft. It's not only about the money people, it's about Qantas being the national flag carrier and showing the flag. Old fashioned sentiments nowadays, I know, but that's my tuppence worth!

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 06:12
I am so glad that QF did not have your attitude Balance, after Cyclone Tracy. Australians are going to die tonight, you tosser. Some, if they had the money could now be in BNE. Alas 600 bucks could not be met. Give me a reason that the Australians in Cairo, are more important than the people of FNQ. Oh, by the way, the Gold Coast will not be affected.

C441
2nd Feb 2011, 06:38
Gillard is paying for these Egypt flights, not Qantas!

Sunstar. you miss my point.

How is it that we can 'spend' $40B+ on a network that will be superfluous before it's finished, introduce a tax to cover possible loss of face if the deficit blows out another year, and yet some here suggest that Qantas, a private company, should provide, at no cost to the Government, free flights in and out of Cairo and Cairns?

For what its worth TG, I understand all available aircraft were used (including the one available as a result of cancelling an A330 HKG service to provide additional CNS capacity) and they left CNS/TSV full. Even at no cost, no-one was left behind to die - as you suggest.

4Greens
2nd Feb 2011, 06:44
Minimbah,

Did some of those charters to Nam. They were certainly appreciated. We used to carry extra beer for the trip home. It soon ran out!

Cheers 4Greens

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 06:49
I am so glad that QF did not have your attitude Balance, after Cyclone Tracy.

NEWS FLASH: they were a Government owned entity in 1974. That effectively, is the same as the Government CHARTERING A 747 to fly to Cairo really, isn't it?

I'm glad they dont have your attitude NOW, because if they did, they would be broke, and there would be no QF. But maybe you'd like that? Maybe thats your aim, eh? Jeez, is that your hidden agenda? Do you just plain not like Qantas, and will you take any opportunity to knock em? Don't bother answering, I'll answer for you: YES.

Australians are going to die tonight, you tosser. Some, if they had the money could now be in BNE. Alas 600 bucks could not be met.

Maybe so, "you tosser". But I will guarantee you one thing, "you tosser". IT IS NOT QANTAS' FAULT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

How your distorted logic seems to blame Qantas for someone choosing not to go to a safe evacuation centre, and rather staying in their tin shanty instead, and grumbling about Qantas' high airfares, is just WAAAAAY beyond me.

It is a bizzare, stupid distortion of the truth to imply that Qantas, or any other airline for that matter, is somehow responsible for someone dying tonight in the face of this storm.

Your doing so, frankly disgusts me. It is tantamount to Bob Brown stating that the Brisbane floods were directly attributable to Australias coal miners. It is just stupid, ill-reasoned political posturing, in your case because you have a barrow to push against Qantas.

Give me a reason that the Australians in Cairo, are more important than the people of FNQ.

Riiiight. And who on earth said that they were? Oh yeah, that bitter twisted old fool that goes by the handle Teresa did. I certainly didn't. And reviewing this thread, no-one else did, either. So why the hell imply that they did?

Oh, by the way, the Gold Coast will not be affected.

Thanks for the news update.

Teresa, I'm wondering if it is age or alcohol that is affecting your judgement of this. If it is neither, then that is seriously concerning, because then you have only bitterness to blame.

Suggesting, as you have, that Qantas might be in some way responsible for the loss of lives tonight is an ignorant, baseless and disgusting allegation.

You are the one who should be ashamed. Not QF, JQ (I can't believe I just defended them!), VB or any other airline you might care to mention.

You seem to be one of those people who sit around, blaming others for your lot in life. When something bad happens, guess what? It is someone else's fault?

Take your bitter, twisted and bigoted claims and shove 'em fair where the sun don't shine.

adsyj
2nd Feb 2011, 07:06
That is an EPIC spray Balance.

Don't know if it is fully justified or necessary but crikey you gave it some.:eek:

TG seems to be pretty good bloke and useful contributor, but I guess it is a tough old school in here at times.

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 07:11
Sorry to make you read that adsyj... :)

I just get very, very bored with ignorance, and TG's attitude today was exactly that.

Again, apologies to all (except TG:suspect:)!

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 08:35
Sigh, I can only imagine you, Balance, are a ernest young S/O. Full of good deeds and love of QF. Let a old fella with slides of four stripes for 30 years, and 25 thousand hours let you in on a few secrets. QF does not give a sh%t about you. You are a ID nbr, thats all you will ever be. I have seen Skippers of 30 years finish their last flight and all they got was a letter asking for their ID. You could not possibly be a F/O or a Skipper they worked it out a long time ago what they were worth. No I am not bitter, (only about 89) I have learnt to accept what is handed out to you. You have not answered my question. Why is the flight free from Cairo, where no one has died, and is not free from CNS/TSV where the chances of people dying tonight is very real. And why is it ok with you.

DEFCON4
2nd Feb 2011, 08:54
Qantas mainline is on a downward spiral.Even evacuating Australians out of a country that is imploding cant do it for them.
The worlds best engineering shed shut down
An aging fleet which requires more maintenance
Poor fleet mix
Disengaged staff
An indifferent management who have their noses in the trough
To top it off a sharply falling share price
The emotional connection that Qantas once had with the travelling masses no longer exists.
19% of all Australian Aviation traffic and falling
So who is happy with Qantas ?
Bit like asking who is happy with the NSW state labor government
They have a lot of similarities

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 08:59
Oh dear, Balance I have just read your blog on another forum. I doubt if you are even a pilot. Are you Joyce's nephew, the one in charge of rubber bands? I thought so.

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 09:09
Sigh, I can only imagine you, Balance, are a ernest young S/O. Full of good deeds and love of QF.

You could not possibly be a F/O or a Skipper they worked it out a long time ago what they were worth.

Partially wrong. I am not an S/O. I'm not a Captain, either, but my flying hours and experience aren't far short of yours. I haven't been passed over for Captain either. I have made different choices. You are right, - I am earnest. I do appreciate my company. Mostly, they have looked after me admirably in my career. I appreciate the actions of my superiors in Flt Ops. Maybe not senior management, but hey, I still have a career which is enviable, and I'm happy with that.

I don't appreciate ignorant fools though, and when someone runs down the company I work for on the basis of bigotry and ignorance, well, lets just say you can expect a spray. If the critisism is valid, well, I'll hold my tongue.

QF does not give a sh%t about you. You are a ID nbr, thats all you will ever be.

Sometimes, yes, sometimes no. But that has absolutely NO relevance to this discussion.

No I am not bitter, (only about 89)

Well, thats in the eye of the beholder. In this thread thus far, IMHO, you have come across as very bitter.

Why is the flight free from Cairo, where no one has died, and is not free from CNS/TSV where the chances of people dying tonight is very real. And why is it ok with you.

The flight from Cairo isn't free. The Government has chartered the aircraft. And the Government didn't charter any aircraft to evacuate people from Cairns. Why? Don't know. Ask Anna and Julia. Presumably they will screw you around with a non response (aka Yes Minister).

Is it OK with me that the Government didn't charter aircraft for evacuations from Cairns and Townsville? Well, to a certain extent, yes it is. There is a chance of people dying in Cairo. That is just a nutty part of the world. There is a chance of people dying in NQ tonight. A shocking possibility. So what do we do, evacuate all of them? There is surely too many. Lots wont leave. Where do we find all the aircraft? Who pays? Who do we choose? How much time do we have? Where will the cyclone go? So many questions, most unanswerable.

The question you ask is impossible. In the end, I feel it likely that the Government has chosen the sensible option. These people have chosen to be in that part of the world, knowing that it is cyclone prone. They make their choices, and Qantas was not a consideration in that choice.

TG, the thing that has REALLY got my back up was the insinuation that Qantas has done something wrong here. That their actions may cost lives. WRONG! In almost every case where a national emergency exists, Qantas ARE there! Yes, Qantas do some stuff which is strange at the least, but this is one area that I will not accept critisism of this company, because it is simply wrong. I've seen it time and time again, first hand.

My question to you is this: Why do you expect that Qantas should be a charity organisation? Why do you single out Qantas? Why not Virgin? Why not Areoflot? What on earth is your problem with Qantas?

And I just read your last post, TG. I really dont care what you think I am. I know that you are behaving in a disgusting, putrid, ignorant manner in regard to this discussion. Your allegations are indefensible. Your last post really confirms it. Hang your head in shame you old fool.

It is a true mark of a man that he cant maintain an argument without resorting to personal attacks without rational basis. Doesnt say much about you, it really doesnt.

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 09:21
Get a life son. OUT of QF.

Plazbot
2nd Feb 2011, 09:28
You ****en people disgust me

balance
2nd Feb 2011, 09:37
The arrogance of that last post is sad. I truly feel sorry for you, old man.

And I note that you didnt answer my questions. Too hard to take a bit of a look at yourself after all these years of ignorance and bitterness, I guess.

clear to land
2nd Feb 2011, 15:31
Meanwhile those of us who work for other companies will continue to operate our rostered duties to Cairo-which is most definately one of the easiest airports in the Middle East to operate in/out even now. Positive thoughts and prayers for the people of NQ!!! :ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
3rd Feb 2011, 16:08
So back to the original thrust of the post. If Qantas saves the day because they are the ones flying into Cairo then by the same logic it is also Qantas' fault that the first flight left half full.....

mmciau
3rd Feb 2011, 19:10
Headlines 4 February 2011

Aussies stuck in Cairo as Qantas jet suffers mechanical problem (http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussies-stuck-in-cairo-as-qantas-jet-suffers-mechanical-problem-20110204-1afok.html?from=smh_sb)

Aussies stuck in Cairo as Qantas jet suffers mechanical problem

Mike

Skynews
3rd Feb 2011, 22:18
Now, even if they "Finally" make it ion Cairo, what's the chance they get stuck there with more mechanical issues.

Skynews
3rd Feb 2011, 22:33
Terresa,

For some one who claims to be old and experienced in aviation, your logic is at best doubtful.
You asked the question about free flights from Cairo and FNQ, now maybe you can respond to balances answer?
Why did you not question, Virgins or Jetstar or Tigers motives under the same situation? Do you think their fares were OK?
If evacuations were necessary, surely that would be a government decision, not a QF one?
Why didn't Queensland rail provide more trains, why didn't greyhound, or whoever is around these days driving buses ferry people out?

teresa green
4th Feb 2011, 04:57
Would you answer someone who behaves like that?

balance
4th Feb 2011, 05:31
Behaves like what exactly?

I hold you to account for your ridiculous accusation that Qantas are individually responsible for costing lives, and you have the hide to insinuate that I'm behaving in an unacceptable manner?

You just don't get it, do you?

Skynews, don't expect an answer from this fool. IMHO, he has shown his true colours. He is a troll with an irrational and unjustifiable bent against Qantas. He is stuck in 1989 and fouls himself daily with his own bitterness.

He won't answer rational questions. He deflects them with a petulant, childish "you are" attitude. Pathetic.

In fact, there are so many on this BB with an illogical bent against Qantas just like Teresa, that it is rather pointless expecting rationality from many at all.

Get a life, Teresa. Out of 1989.

cbradio
4th Feb 2011, 08:38
I know tw1tter is hardly an authoritative source but if you search "qantas" and "Egypt" it isn't pretty! Here's one example -

Qantas just sent a plane to rescue Assies from Egypt.. My immediate thinking is, Egypt could be the safer of the two

Plenty of others, too.

teresa green
4th Feb 2011, 11:20
Balance, You say you are from Flt Ops. That makes you either a Sim Instructor, EP Instructor, Engineer, (which I doubt) Flight Safety, clerk or cleaner, I have no idea which. If you are a pilot who for whatever reason is in the sim as a instructor you have to be the first I have ever met so entralled with QF, most don't give a sh%t. I note that another forum has been shut down regarding the flights from Cairo, and the cost of flights from CNS/TSV because of the aggressive blogs. The mods will do the same with this one if it continues in the same vein. Your reference to my age and mental state is poor form, and achieves nothing.

teresa green
4th Feb 2011, 11:34
Balance, I forgot to mention I flew for QF for 9 years. They treated me well. But like the rest of us I was only a ID nbr. I have two children flying for QF, they, like me are still only a ID nbr. The Airlines of yesterday including QF were family companies, that has all changed. They are now shareholder companies, with no loyality what so ever to any employee. Had I read your blog twenty years ago I would have understood you, but not now.

Capt Fathom
4th Feb 2011, 11:53
I flew for QF for 9 years
I have two children flying for QF

So what!

Based on what YOU have said here, you are still a goose!

Take a step back and re-read your posts!

balance
4th Feb 2011, 18:42
What they said...

I'm having a go at you personally because what you have stated was disgusting and offensive.

You are attacking me personally, because you have no comeback. You should be ashamed.

Your comments lead me to believe however that you know nothing about QF, because "Flt Ops" includes the line. What did they do, fire you? Is that your little beef?

teresa green
6th Feb 2011, 04:21
Oh Balance grow up. If you are so rapt in QF then you should be more concerned with the very real problems it has right now. As far as QF giving FREE flights out of Cairo, (when they can get the A/C to function), and being less than generous with the people of FNQ ($600 bucks full y class fare indeed) of course it gives me the sh%ts. No, I have never been fired and left aged 65. And as far as abuse is concerned check out the forum that was closed after your rant. Oh, and no I am not a Queenslander.

balance
6th Feb 2011, 04:47
F*ck me you are stupid.

Qantas DID NOT GIVE FREE FLIGHTS OUT OF CAIRO. Got it now? The government paid for the charters. Qantas offered free space available oncarriage.

The other thread that you desperately cling to was not closed due to my rant. Chances are it was due to yours. And you are doing it again in a vein attempt to get this one closed, because you can't compete.

You still havent answered the original questions posed to you. Have some guts at least and say "No I wont answer them". If you are going to argue, then do so, don't be a spineless ar$e and try personal attacks to get you out of the crap.

Finally, a large portion of the problem QF has now is because of slime like you - casting aspersions where they are not appropriate.

psycho joe
6th Feb 2011, 05:24
So my post gets moderated out, yet this guy gets to waste band width as a ranting loon???

ButFli
6th Feb 2011, 06:34
Why didn't Queensland rail provide more trains,

They did. Along with the usual Tilt Train and Sunlander services, QR diverted the Inlander to help get people out. Tickets were $20.

teresa green
6th Feb 2011, 06:35
:mad: me. QF offered the flights for FREE. TheAustralian Govt. DID NOT PAY FOR THEM! I did not spend my time meeting and greeting the people in the hallowed halls of FLIGHT OPS. I prefered St. George Rowing Club. As did most of us. There are company men, some cruel people call them "brown nosers" they are a popular as a King Brown in the dunny, some Pilots despise them, I always did. I spent my time in Flt Ops either in a sim or EP's or the riveting lectures on dangerous goods. Don't bother to answer I am off to LHR and my laptop has more important things to do. Get a life.

bankrunner
6th Feb 2011, 06:44
Teresa, which part of "charter" did you not understand?

The government paid for it. DFAT has a line in their budget to pay for flights like this, and some of that cash has gone to Qantas.

teresa green
6th Feb 2011, 07:00
Please, oh please read The Australian. If you wanted to return to OZ it was free. If you wanted to return to Europe it was not. FINISH. End of story, kaput, all over. If you really care for QF then be concerned for where it is now, UP THE CREEK. That is far more important. Save me.

Old Fella
6th Feb 2011, 07:11
Come on Moderators. The garbage coming from those such as Balance and PyschoJoe must surely not be within the spiirit of this forum. The stream of abuse, especially from Balance toward Teresa Green, should be deleted. And just one other point, some here keep harping on who did or did not pay for the Cairo evacuation flights. Ultimately the taxpayers of Australia paid, not Julia, not the "Government", nobody but we taxpayers. :ugh::ugh:

rmcdonal
6th Feb 2011, 07:52
Just to clear this part up for those still following this thread:

Cairo to London/ Frankfurt = Paid for by Australian Government.
London/ Frankfurt to Australia = Free from Qantas, on load based on space available.

Cairns to anywhere = Buy a ticket, tickets bought on the day are always expensive.
Qantas offers free flights home for Cairo evacuees | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/qantas-offers-free-flights-home-for-cairo-evacuees/story-e6frg95x-1225999699177)

Hempy
6th Feb 2011, 08:31
If you are going to argue, then do so, don't be a spineless ar$e and try personal attacks to get you out of the crap.

I'm sorry, but I was choking on the irony..

Rambo, are you for real? If you are, then you are speaking through your @rse
I'm fairly certain that you have completely missed the point, prof. Which is not surprising, given your unpopularity on this forum.
What???? You sniveling idiot. I cannot believe it.
Try reading it again then LGR, you ignorant tosser.
Very polite. I would have said a bunch of f-wits who will take any opportunity to critisize that which is not their own.
Good grief. And the stupidity goes on.
What the? I've just had a flash of the twilight zone where Teresa lives.
Bite me, TG, you bigoted fool.
The arrogance of that last post is sad. I truly feel sorry for you, old man.
YOUR ignorance is profound, ferris.
The only weasel words I hear are yours

etc, etc. Get on well with your fellow man, do we?

balance
6th Feb 2011, 08:34
Old Fella, Thank you for your valuable input. I am fed up with Teresa's anti QF spin, and I am holding him to account for it.

AFAIK, Psycho Joe is a troll, who hangs about and throws in occasional garbage which is generally slanted against QF as well.

I have been trying to point out to Teresa exactly what the last few posters have stated, that is that the Government (read taxpayers), have paid for the charters out of Cairo to Frankfurt. QF have offered free standby oncarriage from there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Teresa sounds more and mnore hysterical in denying this. He also slammed QF individually, stating that their actions would cause deaths in NQ. I am holding him to account for this ridiculous and unfounded accusation, which is offensive to anyone who works as Qantas.

I also have a beef with ANYONE who makes unreasonable and unfounded accusations about the company that I proudly work for. I will not stand idly by and watch this crap.

The vitriol and personal attacks from Teresa are unacceptable, not mine. Argue the case, dont bother with the personal attacks. Teresa, quite a few here have stated categorically that you are wrong in your interpretation.

Teresa, apologise to those on this BB, apologise publicly to QF, and admit you are wrong. Then I'll cease pursuing you.

Hempy, your usual excellent contribution to this debate. Again, I will not stand by and listen to fools denigrate that which they do not know. I call it as I see it. And your contribution is crap.

psycho joe
6th Feb 2011, 10:02
I maintain my original point that balance’ motivation here is simply to elicit a certain response; In particular to influence the moderator into closing a thread. In doing so he feels a sense of power. Such short term gratification does not alter his sense of self loathing, which further manifests itself in the form of continued personal attacks in order to assert (the perception of) his dominance. :bored:

Old Fella
6th Feb 2011, 11:03
Balance, I don't really care what you think of my contribution. I do, however, care about your tirade of vitriolic condemnation of TG in particular. In my experience, which I suspect is far greater than yours, people who resort to continued personal attacks against others, such as yours have been, are generally insecure and their only recourse is to be offensive to others. BTW, I have never been employed by Qantas and have no opinion of the company, other than to say they are not the only great airline on the planet.

balance
6th Feb 2011, 18:36
Psycho Joe = just that... (oh and that last post of his was in itself a peurile rant. Ironic really...)

Old Fella, I really dont care what YOUR background is either. This ain't a p1ssing match. You sound a little like TG's alter ego though, because you too fail to acknowledge, or even mention the ridiculous, disgusting things TG has posted himself.

If you simply focus on me, not TG, then chances are you have something in your agenda.

Again. for those who might have missed it, Teresa Green said:

but there will be deaths tonight, right here at home, if this thing keeps on building. QF, JQ and the rest need a bollocking over this one. All in the name of the shareholder. A disgrace.

I am so glad that QF did not have your attitude Balance, after Cyclone Tracy. Australians are going to die tonight, you tosser. Some, if they had the money could now be in BNE. Alas 600 bucks could not be met. Give me a reason that the Australians in Cairo, are more important than the people of FNQ. Oh, by the way, the Gold Coast will not be affected.

Why is the flight free from Cairo, where no one has died, and is not free from CNS/TSV where the chances of people dying tonight is very real. And why is it ok with you.

As far as QF giving FREE flights out of Cairo, (when they can get the A/C to function), and being less than generous with the people of FNQ ($600 bucks full y class fare indeed) of course it gives me the sh%ts.

Please, oh please read The Australian. If you wanted to return to OZ it was free. If you wanted to return to Europe it was not. FINISH. End of story, kaput, all over. If you really care for QF then be concerned for where it is now, UP THE CREEK. That is far more important. Save me.

So one must question, why is it okay for Teresa to accuse "QF, JQ and the rest" of costing lives, when it just is not true. Thats a pretty serious accusation when you stop and think about it. It is his TOTAL lack of understandng that really annoys me. He pontificates, yet clearly understands little. I'm tired of people like him, saying whatever they want, making whatever accusations they want, with relative impunity. It needs to stop.

THAT, is poor form.

Ken Borough
6th Feb 2011, 22:32
am off to LHR and my laptop has more important things to do

I hope the break in LHR does something to restore TG's usually good humoured posts. He is way off the mark WRT the CAI charters and the QF response to FNQ. Perhpas the poor guy is either off his medication or suffering from it but he really should apologise for some of the rubbish he had written about QF and its employees, including some of the terrible stuff that has been deleted.

Come on TG, be fair and play as per the SOPs. :ok:

psycho joe
6th Feb 2011, 22:35
Balance, you're like an old drunk screaming at a lightpost. The drunk always wins his argument, but the public get an entertaining spectacle. :D

Old Fella
6th Feb 2011, 22:46
Balance I am no "Alter ego" of TG. I simply believe that by any comparison anyone, other than yourself, wishes to make between yours and TG's posts your posts and the language you use are totally unacceptable. As far as I can see TG simply questioned why evacuees from Cairo were offered free flights and those wishing to escape Cyclone Yasi were not. Given that the Premier of Queensland and the PM of Australia went to extraordinary lengths to emphasise the size and severity of Yasi it is reasonable to expect that those unable to afford, but wishing to, leave the area could be assisted. Maybe TG should not have criticised QF, JQ and others for not providing free passage. Yasi was predicted to be the biggest Cyclone ever to hit Australia, much bigger than Tracy. As one who flew numerous flights to and from Darwin in the aftermath of Tracy, in which over 70 people died, I believe evacuating FNQ by whatever means would have been justified.

Tankengine
7th Feb 2011, 00:17
Perhaps the fact that anyone could drive, take bus train etc out of the path of Yasi. In Egypt options were limited. Ask Julia and Anna, not Qantas and Virgin.:rolleyes:

Old Fella
7th Feb 2011, 02:52
Tankengine I totally agree that the Federal and State governments could/should have done more to get people out of Cairns, especially as for quite some time pre-Yasi making landfall Cairns was thought to be the city most at risk. The anger expressed by Balance at the suggestion by TG that lives would be lost, a suggestion which sadly proved correct, seems to me to be "over the top". The provision of cost free flights from Cairns could have been offered by governments. Of course, available resources could well have been a factor. The RAAF and Army aircraft/crews were already stretched. Irrespective, my problem is not with whom should have done what. I simply believe that Balance did not need to resort to character assination to make his point. If he really is wanting to defend Qantas I am sure there is a better way, and I'm also sure that Qantas would not want the kind of "support" offered by Balance.

Brewsters Millions
9th Feb 2011, 05:14
JQ (QF Group) paid Boston Bruce an aditional sum of just under $4 million last fiancial year, into a 'consultancy company' he owns, as part of his package, that sum excludes bonuses, salary and other perks. It has been structured in a way that doesnt alert staff and the average joe.
I hope you all consider this when you are negotiating your EBA`s folks. Imagine what the little Irish toad is pocketing in 'extra`s' ??

Execs save themselves from eternal debt...Grubs !

Mr. Hat
15th Feb 2011, 01:34

Cash figure $1.9 Million from VB. Other contributions in the form of airfares etc.

Hempy
15th Feb 2011, 02:38
Etihad $1 mill