PDA

View Full Version : Which eyeshades?

hei yu
30th Jan 2011, 09:08
So which eyeshades do you use and recommend?

Using standard airline issue (thin) eyeshades, the area under my eyeshades starts to sweat up after about half an hour.

I currently use Samsonite heavily padded eyeshades (with the pocket in the front for earplugs etc) and find them very effective (no sweat), but, after 10 years, they are starting to fall apart and, unfortunately, Samsonite have stopped selling them.

The closest thing I've seen on the net are Bucky sleep mask eye shades...very similar to my trusty Samsonites.
Have a look at ...
Catalog - Travel Gear - Shades Sleep Mask (http://www.bucky.com/catalog/Travel_Accessories/Shades_Sleep_Mask.html)

Has anyone tried these?

Any other recommendations?

Rgds/HY

Donkey497
30th Jan 2011, 18:57
Mark one eyelids, original fit & still effective.:ok:

Anythiing else is just extra crap to carry, pack, organise & try not to lose. It also costs more to have this stuff as well.

PAXboy
30th Jan 2011, 23:48
If you find that your eyelids do not keep as much light out as you would prefer - then these are a great idea. My Samsonite ones are still going strong. Bucky looks like the kind of site I would buy from but the UK are hot on charging for every penny of imported goods.

Donkey497
31st Jan 2011, 17:12
If you find that your eyelids do not keep as much light out as you would prefer

Or alternately, just "borrow" some of your better half's darkest eye shadow..........:)

But, seriously, if you are looking for a cheap set, I'd recommend the Boots the chemist travel ones at GBP 4. They're mainly polyester, so are wipe clean but aren't too warm when worn & if you want cotton then a simple wrap in a clean hankerchief (or a permanent sewn lining) can be done at minimal cost. (One of my colleagues who suffers from migraines swears by these.)

Alternatively, if you're apssing through the US or anywhere else you might find a Brookstone store they do a nice couple of options. One at USD 20 has a pocket for a gel sachet that you can heat or cool (again good for anothe rmigraine sufferer) or there's a memory foam eye shade at USD 36.

You pays your money - you takes your chance, unless you've got someone on tap who's hand with a needle & thread, in which case you could alyas try sweet-talking them into making your own custom shades.

hei yu
3rd Feb 2011, 11:18
Thanks all for the suggestions. Donkey497…think my eyelids are almost time expired
I reckon a repair job on my sammys might be the way to go.
Rgds/HY

Goprdon
3rd Feb 2011, 17:43
Try googling Samsonite and the words eye and shades.