PDA

View Full Version : Over 40 'Club'?

11th Apr 2001, 18:34
Are we a special type of wannabe?
Should us oldies be supporting each other?
Any value in us networking?

Comments?

------------------
London Tower this is Skyflash...

ariel
11th Apr 2001, 20:36
Cron - excellent idea. I've still got a few years to go until the big 4 0 but would be interested to see how your thread developes

ariel

Puffin Killer
11th Apr 2001, 20:49
Sounds like a good idea.

I'm just over the big 40 and would like to know what would be open to me as most airlines retire pilots at 56 ish, so if anyone has any positives they can give us Wrinkly Wannabes please let us know. :)

Whirlybird
12th Apr 2001, 00:16
I'm not sure I want to admit to being old enough to join :)

Cron, should we have a sub-group for elderly rotary wannabes? :) :) :)

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

aztec25
12th Apr 2001, 00:20
As a 48 year old wannabee I think I qualify.
Great idea!
Let the youngsters do a proper job first!
Only joking :-)

eject
12th Apr 2001, 02:18
don't qualify for over 40s club but it's by a whisker. Wannabegonnabe

Captain Mainwaring
12th Apr 2001, 15:08
I am over 40 (just) and fly for Emerald.
I would interested in an 'old farts' network
and happy to answer any questions etc

Flysundone
13th Apr 2001, 00:24
I'm just 46, Frozen ATPL, Perf. A, MCC and 950 hours. Been trying to get that first airline job for twelve months. Not even an interview yet. Still, instructing part-time keeps me sane. Airlines say I'm not too old (then they would say that wouldn't they) and every professional pilot I meet tell's me I will get a job.

Turbo-prop hauling freight at night, where do I sign.

Flypuppy
13th Apr 2001, 00:49
I guess us youngsters in our early 30's can't join this elite club?

RichT
13th Apr 2001, 13:05
By way of inspiration I got my first airline job at 41 (737-200) and I wasn't the oldest on the course. I'm still in training so a bit early to start counting chickens.

Keep plugging away. Best of luck to you all.

Clouded Yellow
14th Apr 2001, 02:02
I am 47, about to do the full monty for 30K plus at SFT.

catswhisker
17th Apr 2001, 04:22
Yes! All power to your elbow, or whichever joints still work.

How many flight decks could do with exactly the kind of world-weary cynicism that we oldies would bring? All, I suspect.

I'm 39 and have the X-country qualifier and the Skills Test to go, for my PPL. After that, the Grand Plan is to head for Jerez for the integrated course.. purely to save time. But I do have the advantage of having had the prudence never to marry or breed...

(CUE ROTATING SMILEY.. BUT THEY NEVER WORK FOR ME. WHICH WILL ALSO BE MY EXCUSE FOR THE A/P)

RichT: Thanks!
CloudedYellow: Good Luck!

Let's think of a brick wall and stop the Midwych Cuckoos ---- NOW!!

- catswhisker

SKYYACHT
17th Apr 2001, 21:18
I'm up for it.....I see that some airlines are now asking cadets to be able to develop acne as a requirement for interview..! Just kidding....Us older chaps have skills to offer....its just finding someone to pluck us from obscurity and our oncoming senility and dotage....

Zimmer frame down and locked, I have control!

Tailwinds

JimNich
18th Apr 2001, 00:45
Not yet forty but approaching fast. Count me in 'cos I reckon old age and cunning will overcome youth and exuberance anyday.

It ticks me off to think the older guy/girl is overlooked because of some industry hokum that says they're "over-the-hill". I'd really like to get hold of the Human Performance geek that put the theory out that older people assimilate information slower and..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

catswhisker
18th Apr 2001, 02:19
I might have missed something here (distracted by the "Muffin the Mule" re-runs.. But isn't that an illegal activity now?) and someone may already have aired this. But: Might it be worth putting the case for part of the PpruNe Wannabe fund to be set aside for us Undead? After all, the Acne Mob are provided for elsewhere, and then some.
Just a thought.

18th Apr 2001, 18:02
Seems we have a quorom (I think that's how it's spelt).
Rotory definitely included!
What to do next?
Let me have a think. I'll grab your email addresses - where appropriate and available (in case of developments). Email me to make this easier if you wish.
Anyone any ideas?

aged
21st Apr 2001, 16:49
I'm 42 (and can still read, just) and recently phoned several companies to ask their view on age. The reply from 90% was that it was hours they wanted, age was of no concern - and being over 40 could be an advantage at times because for the turbo prop companies we're less likely to bugger off at the first airline opportunity.
I reckon go for it.
Anyway, who would you rather employ - an over 40 or a spotty youth with attitude?

juswonnafly
21st Apr 2001, 17:03
Been reading this with interest.

We're not a special case.....just too bl**dy old!

I'm up for it anyway!

JWF :) :) :)

fly4fud
22nd Apr 2001, 11:49
Hi guys!
I will be 44 (gosh!!) in fall. Been lucky enough to get a driver's seat (for the biggest regional in EU) on the ARJ at age 42. Ok, I already had been working 20+ years as grease monkey on the big ones. And had 800+ hours, mostly singles.

In conclusion:
Airlines are looking for pilots!!
Now is the time!!
Get qualified!!
Get practice (buy yourselve an Elite or similar flight sim)!!
Get your CVs going!!
Don't forget business aviation!!

And all the best ;)

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

Letdown
22nd Apr 2001, 16:06

Count me in, I'm 41 and just about to complete the CAA ATPL's, with just Navagigation to pass (hopefully !) a week on Wednesday. I have PPL/IMC/Night/Multi and will take the FIC course in June/July, to then hour-build towards the 700 hrs for CPL issue.

Like "AGED" I think the best opportunities for us "oldies" lies with the Regionals for all the reasons stated. I know a couple of guys in their late 30's/early 40'S who have started with UK Regional's with 800 hrs and frozen ATPL, so there's hope for us all !!!!!!!

RICH T - thanks for the inspiration, it's good to know it's possible, good luck on the 737

Finally, I think it's a great idea CRON to start a network for the "fortysomethings" we need just as much mutual encouragement as the younger guys, maybe more. As I said at the start of this post "count me in"

[This message has been edited by Letdown (edited 22 April 2001).]

DOC.400
22nd Apr 2001, 22:32
I'm in!!

RoyalRock
23rd Apr 2001, 04:04
35 at the moment and only got 4.5 yrs till i'm booted out of Her Majesty's Finest Flying Club (as non-aircrew). TODAY I started to research the whys, wherefores, and hows, about this industry. Therefore absolutely ANY info/advice would be welcomed.

40's and up-I'm in too!

Kookus
23rd Apr 2001, 10:18
You have inspired me guys. I was starting to feel over the hill at 34. Still flying bug smashers and loading my own cargo.

scroggs
23rd Apr 2001, 13:45
45 and been flying professionally for 25 years, but you get my vote. Go for it, peeps!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

juswonnafly
23rd Apr 2001, 14:39
Scroggs,

This sounds a good idea to me. Are you going to provide us with a new forum?

JWF :)

23rd Apr 2001, 16:15
Sounds good to me .. whacha think Scroggs?

scroggs
24th Apr 2001, 03:12
Above my level within the Pprune hierarchy I'm afraid, chaps, so I can't make any promises in that direction. I do know that, prior to the change of server, there was no chance of increasing the number of forae. I'm not sure what the word is on that now, but I'm not optimistic. In any case, most of the issues of interest to you are equally of interest to our younger members. The fact that you are further down the road to decrepitude may give you shared experience, but does not imply any special requirements - there's no bus-pass equivalent on Pprune!
Anyway, i'll look into it, but don't hold your breath.

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

AV8 consultants
25th Apr 2001, 04:15
I too am approaching the 40 barrier. With one year to go I am starting to wonder if I will get there. I have 700 hours, a degree in aviation and nearly finished my I/R. I also currently teach at a local flying school.The problem is in Oz they say age can't be discreminated against but the airlines always manage to find some reason to say sorry. So what do you do ? The regionals like the old boys because they know that they will not move into the majors. The problem here is that the regionals have a greater hour requirement than the majors. Ridiculous I know, so by the time you get the hours you are close to your mid forties. Around and around you go a never ending rabbit race.
I hate to be blunt but over 35 unless you have 2000 hrs plus and a load of twin time you are cactus and can only devote yourself to a career in charter or instructing. Not bad but the $$$ suck big time..
Goodluck in the queens country!

InFinRetirement
25th Apr 2001, 12:30
How about another thread for those of us who go back the Wright brothers - where they nicked my belt and braces - to lengthen the bungee. :)

Hence the flying term "belt and braces". I started it you see! Pity the cameraman had to obey the laws of decency - otherwise I would have been famous! :)

Pilot Paul
25th Apr 2001, 13:57
Sounds good to me...count me in

38 going on 39, PPL/IMC/Night/Multi (almost) + all ATPL's passed....should get CPL in June, IR by year end and then as Tommy Pickles would say, "The world is my lobster"!

Nice to know there's hope for us yet - however slim!

Pilot Paul

Joaquín
25th Apr 2001, 14:20
Captain Scroggs,

Mind your Latin. I think you should say either "forums" (correct English, I beleive) or "fora" (the correct Latin plural for 4th declination, masculine nouns), but please, never "forae" (that's for femennine nouns). Do you think knowing a bit of Latin will help me to get a job up there??

Fly safely

[This message has been edited by Joaqu'n (edited 25 April 2001).]

Captain Mainwaring
26th Apr 2001, 15:23
Smarty Pants!
I believe that believe is spelt 'believe'

Raw Data
26th Apr 2001, 17:29
... and "femennine" is actually spelt "feminine"! Sorry Joaquin, we don't do conversion courses in Latin...

Pot calling the kettle black, methinks. :)

Anyway, just a small point for you to ponder. JimNich has little time for those who think over-40s have problems assimilating. Unfortunately, this is proven fact, both in Psychology and in the aviation industry. Most airlines have, percentage-wise, a much higher failure rate amongst the oldies (mainly in the sim).

However, there is hope. One thing that will help your application if your are approaching senility is CURRENCY, preferably in something hard to fly. Also, any jet experience at all (ie sim) is like gold.

To that end, I would be prepared to organise another of the famous Wannabe Sim Days for oldies only (Trident sim, near Biggin; I'm sure all oldies will remember Tridents).

Any interest out there?

BTW, my lot takes on a fair few oldies, there is definitely hope!

jigsawblue
27th Apr 2001, 03:48
As a member of this elite club, 41, I've come to the conclusion that if I was going to make it after 20 years of trying. I would have done so by now.

Therefore, reluctantly I have decided to let go of the dream.

It's not that I failed all the exams or anything. I've got the CPL/IR ATPL writtens etc. I just can't seem to progress from that. My medical has expired and I have made no attempt to renew it. I don't believe you can just give up flying, cold turkey. You just sort of drift away kidding yourself that you'll go back soon. All you need is more money or a good opportunity or whatever.
I still love to fly, one of my last flights was in a Pitts Special, a dream come true, but none of this hides the essential fact that I'm never going to work as a pilot in this lifetime. I don't believe that I can fly privately instead, frankly I never liked it. You really have to do some kind of job when you fly. There is no sense of achievment in buzzing the local area just one more time, practicing for what?

So it's time to draw a line and try not to think of the money spent, but not the time wasted, It WAS fun. It was also the one thing I can point to and say 'I did it all by myself'. It was the one near success in a life of appalling mediocrity. But I used it to hide some truths which I didn't want to acknowledge. I always thought, 'As soon as I get the job, I'll be happy and everything else will fall into place'. Not so, that's just the worst form of denial.
I've done nothing else with my life, I never married, who can compete with flying, I've had precious few girlfriends anyway. I own next to nothing, my net worth is about £300, not including the car which of course the bank actually owns. If I'd put the effort in with some other career I would be rich and successful by now, unhappy but comfortable. At the moment I'm unhappy and uncomfortable, not a good combination.
Call it a mid life crisis or whatever, maybe it's just a reality setting in. My Mother accidentally hit the nail on the head some time ago. I just laughed at the time but now I wonder. I was telling her of a woman I met. 'I hope you haven't told her you're a pilot' says she.

'Why not? I am a pilot' I said.

'Not a REAL pilot' she replied.

So, there it is, my epitaph 'not a real pilot' just a Walter Mitty character who never grew up. What will I replace flying with? Nothing I can think of. There is nothing outside of flying for me, that's become all too evident. Nothing worthwhile anyway, you can only bounce back a few times before gravity and reality take over. I blew it and can only take the consequences. However I would encourage all you others to continue, I've watched all my friends, ex friends really, they lose touch quickly when the move on. It is worth it in the end, if you make it, I suppose.

Better than my future, anyway.

I've sat here and tried to think of something profound to finish with, but I cannot. Just that you who have made it and daily leave the Earth trailing in your thunder, to remember how lucky you are, how very lucky and privileged you are.

HollyDog
27th Apr 2001, 11:04
Hi JigSawBlue

I reckon you've done incredibly well mate. You've got your CPL/IR & ATPL's - bloody hell,that's an achievement! All of us Ppruners are in debt to the banks, in one form or the other - I'm sure there's a lot of people on this site who haven't thought at one time or another to go - 'What the f***' & jack it all in. It sounds like your very down right now, so I reckon that you ride the storm my friend and realise how much you have accomplished and stick with the dream. If you do decide you don't want to follow this path anymore, fair enough. But, you're not 'a Walter Mitty' - you're an aviator and should be very proud of that.
All the best

HollyDog
[This message has been edited by HollyDog (edited 27 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by HollyDog (edited 27 April 2001).]

schuler_tuned
27th Apr 2001, 11:44
jigsawblue- far too blue! sorry to be blunt, but you've done all the hard work, and well done to that. please don't give up, anyone that gains a flying licence is a pilot by definition, and there's people in this forum older than you, who haven't even started yet!
if you don't like private flying, then teach other people who do, it's flying with a purpose, it builds hours, it increases your prospects , and it might be fun!
i obviously don't know your financial situation, but you've raised enough once, why not again?
we can all be our own worst enemy at times, i know because i nearly did exactly the same(didn't fly for 3 years), but i'm back, and more determined the ever, encouraged by other people, and by the fact that if you don't do it in this lifetime, then when?
oh, and with flying, as you probably know only too well, resistance is futile, so start flaring way too high, and bounce back , as hard as you can!!!!!
i hope this helps?

Polar_stereographic
27th Apr 2001, 11:44
Jigsawblue,

I'm in a similar position to you except I'm in the process of thinking about revalidating my licences.

I'm also 40, held a CPL for many years, not realy been looking for work, but may start to do so in a year or so's time. My hunch from talking to guys working the airlines is that there will be a big demand for pilots in a couple of years time. My real problem is trying to not lose the writtens with all the change in regs etc. Some half decent lawyer should have a field day with the CAA and all their antics.

One other difference, I realy enjoy GA. 1300 hours are a testemony to that, and I have not acumuated the hours by instructing. My advice to you is go and get comfortable with GA and enjoy it.

HollyDog
27th Apr 2001, 12:32
jsb

'All good things comes to those who wait !'

HD

Whirlybird
28th Apr 2001, 01:25
jigsawblue,

Snap out of it. You're talking as though you're 81, not 41. And I'm older than you, so I have a right to say that. Too many people are obsessed with age - oh my god, I'm 25 and I haven't done anything sort of thing. Whether you want to keep on trying in aviation or try something else is up to you, but whichever it is, you have half a lifetime ahead of you in which to do it. Who says you haven't done anything? Sounds to me like you've done a hell of a lot. More importantly, you've tried to do what you really wanted - better to have tried, even if you haven't made it (so far, only so far!) than never to have tried at all. Don't listen to your mother! Of course you're a real pilot. Why do you have to be paid to fly to prove it? A job is only a way of earning a living, nothing else. If I win the lottery tomorrow I'll pack in the CPL exams, but I'll still fly; I'll still be a pilot.

Give up the dream if you want to, no matter what anyone else says. But ONLY if you want to. And judge success or failure by your own standards, not the world's.

------------------
Whirly

juswonnafly
28th Apr 2001, 08:07
Wise words WB.... wise words

JWF (43 1/2)

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Flight Stimulator
28th Apr 2001, 12:54
Ohh yes this is the group for me 37 and dipping the big toe for the first time. Planning a huge expense and to start with PPL in the states. Then onwards and upwards. I have a few friends who say that FO is available to me on passenger jets at 40+ and they are there to prove it. 7 years start to finish I recon whilst fighting to keep my house and marriage together. Simple isn't it!!!!! Good luck all and lets stay in touch.
:) :)

Tigger2
28th Apr 2001, 14:44
Reading this thread has been like a nice fresh breeze blowing across my face. Great to see so much justified optimism.

I took the plunge at age 30 (I'm now 31-- I know, I know - a relative spring chicken!!) to chase my dream. A lot of my work buddies have told me I'm mad; members of my family now say they have the proof that I'm mad, but my wife is 100% certain I will get that airline job.

The thing is, times have changed in the workforce and the simple fact is this - get the required qualifications, throw your hat in the ring and in many ways your application at an older age is more attractive than the younger person's. You have (hopefully) gained some skills during your life that many younger applicants won't have developed yet, and airlines will be aware of this, and more than willing to benefit from them. Getting through your licensing requirements at an older age is a hell of a lot harder than doing it as a teenager supported by wealthy parents. Who wouldn't find the application of someone who has managed to qualify as a pilot at 30 or 40 attractive?? - the added pressures of holding down a job, marriage etc etc during your training immediately presents a person with excellent management skills. Tick number 1 in the box by my reckoning!!

Age is not an issue. Just your attitude. Be positive, always believe in yourself, and you WILL get there.

Proof of what I'm saying? I know of a 2nd Officer flying for an International Airline who was employed at age 52.

Never give up that dream!

Regards
T.

jigsawblue
28th Apr 2001, 17:38
Thanks for all the comments on my post, even the smack on the wrist. As I said it's almost impossible to give up flying, it somehow has to give you up.
I have a lot of thinking to do now, if I was to continue it would mean borrowing again. I need to be very realistic from now on. Perhaps I'll renew the medical. What I do know is that I need a job back in aviation one way or the other.
I know it's worth the effort. I am inspired by the idea of in their forties getting the first flying job. To be honest though, the age thing was not my real concern, it's other people who judge you by your age and yes we are all guilty of it even me. It shouldn't matter just the ability to do the job, young or old.
I still don't know one way or the other for myself. I am a damm good pilot though, that's something.

Over The Numbers
28th Apr 2001, 20:16
Fellow oldies.. It is a pleasure to join your esteemed company. I am a Brit living in USA for the past 11 years,green card etc, and I will turn 42 in June. I quit my "real" job in February, and embarked on my dream to fly for a living. So far I have 235 hours TT and an Instrument rating. I plan on taking Commercial, Instructor and Multi checkrides within the next 2 months. I have not regretted the decision for one moment, especially when I look at the poor commuters stuck in traffic down below.

There are times when you look at the various threads on this site and get a little nervous seeing folks with 000s of hours of seemingly good experience, yet without jobs. While I am certain that many or most of them have just been plain unlucky, I am also sure that we all need to be realistic in realizing that building the required hours is but one piece of the puzzle, and that prospective employers are looking for additional "life" qualities, e.g. demonstrated teamwork, persistence, attention to detail, personability and even a sense of humour!! I think we'd all be well advised to to get so obsessed with time building that we forget to balance our lives a little. Anyway, enough waffling. We can ALL be successful at this given the required application of effort and a little dose of good fortune.

This is a great support network, and I will be happy to help anyone with questions relating to flying in the US.... or anything else for that matter.

Never give up, never surrender!!!! Keep the blue side up.

catswhisker
29th Apr 2001, 02:21
Jigsawblue: Looks like we are in very similar boats. If you're interested in a very small (for now!) mutual support group, then e-mail me at [email protected].

I won't insult you by taking either the "Carry On Regardless" OR the "If that's how you feel, just quit" line... But I do know what it's like.
Please get in touch!

P. Jacobsen
29th Apr 2001, 11:05
For whatever it's worth; I've been working with a lot of "over 40" pilots who started their flying career "late". As member of an interview board, I have also hired some. Being "old" is not necessarily negativ as long as the rest of your CV make you qualified for the job. By the way, you are all invited to visit www.cockpitforum.com (http://www.cockpitforum.com)

[This message has been edited by P. Jacobsen (edited 29 April 2001).]

scroggs
29th Apr 2001, 13:48
(Gets out megaphone, and stands where you can all see me)

OK Peeps, I said I'd ask about getting you your own forum (and I don't care what the correct plural is - OK?). As I said in my last post on page 2, I wasn't optimistic, and I was right to be so. Capt Pprune has decided that the current total of 64 forumunums (see?!) is quite enough for him to deal with, so there won't be anymore anytime soon. Sorry, and all that!
As an aside, there does seem to be an expanding number of 30-somethings who have decided that they qualify for membership of the Over-40 club. What's wrong with you people? Life not short enough for you, that you have to wish it away? You've only just got into the swing of adulthood; go away and come back when you've got some wrinkles and grey hairs, and your kids buy you walking sticks, wheelchairs and hearing aids for Christmas!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by scroggs (edited 29 April 2001).]

Whirlybird
29th Apr 2001, 18:26
Scroggs,

It's just that there are an increasing number of 30 somethings who know where it's all happening :)

------------------
Whirly

The Elder
30th Apr 2001, 12:48
So, how about this then?

http://communities.msn.com/40andstillflying

The Elder http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

fly4fud
30th Apr 2001, 13:52
well spoken Scroggs!!

And you all, life greenhorns, get the hell outta here and quick!
This thread is reserved for mature and experienced people, e.g. >40 and that's it :)

As for all the guys who think they cannot make it, they're too old or whatever f....... reason, hold on tight and believe.
I still remember too well all those years I thought I could never make it, lack of self confidence I suppose ... but ... I would not die without a try would I? ... Will you?
I can promise you only one thing: ALL SACRIFICES WILL BE WORTH IT!

Still remember the greatest pleasure of my life:
- 1st women (well no details on this site...)
- 1st drive with my car (hey I'm free)
- 1st flight on my fresh PPL (hey I'm free as a bird!)
Now the real big ones (smile all around the head for each one :) )
- News from airline that I was hired (best day of my life, all my efforts and years of dreaming rewarded)
- 1st time seated in the sim for the type rating
- 1st time seated on the right seat in the real aircraft, starting engines for the flight towards the flight training airport
- 1st flight with "real pax" o/b

And now, almost 2 years later, the pleasure is even bigger. Beginner's stress has given way to some routine in the checklists handling and turnarounds, but I'm still elated by the sheer pleasure of flying, the challenges of managing a good day's flying (aiming for THE (elusive) PERFECT FLIGHT).
To sum it up, F A N T A S T I C !!!

------------------

Polar_stereographic
30th Apr 2001, 14:00
f4f,

Where you over 40 when you landed your first job? Who was it with out of interest?

Keep enjoying

PS

fly4fud
30th Apr 2001, 20:07
Polar S, yes, was 41 1/2! Had about 800+ single engine stuff.
The airline is LX. Ok, low wages, but the flying is great!!

For conditions, check www.crossair.ch (http://www.crossair.ch)

------------------

PaulDeGearup
30th Apr 2001, 20:55
OI Scroggs !

You can't be telling me that he of the John Travolta white sox, woman charmer extraordinaire, and giggler of the first order is turning up for his bus pass ?

Can't be the same bloke.

And what's this about flying professionaly ?
Have they been paying you ?

[This message has been edited by PaulDeGearup (edited 30 April 2001).]

Amazon man
1st May 2001, 13:15
What a pleasure to find a site where there are people still interested in flying, instead of the usual how much can I earn,whats the roster like, he's earning more than me etc etc.

To all you guys nearly forty and over I would say don't give up, if I was in the hiring department I know who I would hire.

Besides sitting next to one of you guys or girls in the cockpit I might have something to talk about.

walkingthewalk
1st May 2001, 16:57
I have been following this with some sincere amusement.

I wonder how many others in this discussion
are over 40 (under 50 !), who have a wife, kids and mortgage.

Personally, with just over 700 hrs and CPL,
wife, child and mortgage, I have stopped "yearning" and I have resolved to part-time
instructing until instructor pay becomes
decent enough to leave my day job (still holding breath.....)

Happy days to all of you.

northern boy
1st May 2001, 23:19
Don't give up!

I started out at 36 doing the upgrade at Prestwick.Despite being told I was too old to fly jets,6 yrs later I'm with Virgin.(I joined just after my 40th birthday.)
There were several oldies on my course and I dont know of any who didnt make it into the big time.Theres one FO at VS that I know who started out in his mid 40s. It all depends on the market for pilots and what experience level is floating around. Providing you have the ability there is no reason why anyone shouldnt do it.

Good luck

scroggs
2nd May 2001, 00:40
PaulDeGearup,
20 years to go to the bus pass yet! As for the white suit etc, that was consigned to the great Oxfam shop in the sky many years ago. OK, last Thursday.
'Women charmer extraordinaire'. That's a new one on me - and most of the women I talk to! Too busy flying. And was someone supposed to pay me for it? I thought profeshnial meant that I got to pay the women, or something.
Will be at the June 9 Gatbash for further details!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

ariel
2nd May 2001, 00:47
Great topic, plenty of interesting replies.. could go on for ever. Seriously, it's good to see that in such a competitive profession, the 40 plus person is not always at a disadvantage; indeed in some cases, they have the upper hand.

DEFINATELY merits its own forum !!

ariel

Burger Thing
2nd May 2001, 19:24
You have my vote. And by the way, where is the Cargo-Forum ? Maybe we can combine that, to save space on the hard-disc ? The "40+ Club" would be a good name... appropriate for most of the cargoplanes as well... :) Uaah HELP ! The airplane I am flying is older than me and I am 29 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

http://www.geocities.com/oli_156/page_header.gif

Simon W
2nd May 2001, 20:09
If you want an "oldie" forum then sign up for the below. Pretty good.

http://www.boardhost.com/

Simon W

3rd May 2001, 15:01
How's that work then Simon? I couldn't see what I have to do (definitely over 40!)

Jimmy Mack
3rd May 2001, 19:30
What an interesting thread! I'm just 38 and thought I was doing pretty well...knocking on the door of 700 hours, ATPL exams all passed, just the IR to do.

So I went for my medical renewal...and failed it...seems I'm diabetic. No symptoms, no warning signs, just happened!

What it did for me was to make me wake up (even more than I think I am already). I still have a chance of getting the medical back...diet, exercise regime, change way of life etc etc.

If you HAVE a choice about continuing, I would say keep going. Cos one day fate might just stop you anyway.

For those that already have achieved the dream...don't become complacent about it...it might just get taken away again!

...if Steve Redgrave can do it, so can I!!

"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got"