PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Jetstar but wont fly with you again

ratso
28th Jan 2011, 03:30
When you work with a lot of ex airline pilots ( who still fly as a private pilot and travel a lot on different airlines} in a ground staff job and one does not fly very often it is wise to ask them which passenger jet airline is the best to fly with. The cry is always not with jetstar as they will never be on time and will cancel their flight at the drop of a hat.
My impression has always been to give em a go. A few former students of mine fly with jetstar so lets give em a go.

Well today 28JAN11 I did but never again.
FLT JQ492 COOLIE TO NEWCASTLE due to leave at 8am but no left at 9.05am.
One female flight steward smiled out of the whole lot...but that did not matter. With limited time on the ground at newcastle for a vehicle inspection and the return to coolie the tension mounted.
Got the inspection done just in time for the return flight.

Sorry but this little ducky will never fly jetstar again.

Ace Wasabe
28th Jan 2011, 03:46
Once !
After experiencing the Jetstar Experience you definitely do not want the experience repeated.
Not at any price!!

astroboy55
28th Jan 2011, 03:59
Even at $30 on staff travel I wont touch them again. Late, squashed in, rude cabin crew. Cant be bothered.

If QF dont fly there, I go VB. If VB dont go, I drive.

Pole Smoker
28th Jan 2011, 04:07
Thats why they only paint one star on the tail.

Crap!

Sonny Hammond
28th Jan 2011, 04:31
All fair enough but really, I think we all know by now that "you only get what you pay for....":D

Mr. Hat
28th Jan 2011, 04:36
Thats it Sonny, we all give it a try once.

I think the gentleman did well to get a smile out of the fa.

I flew once with them and again wouldn't do it again. Cramped, dim, stinking and sombre was my experience. Just cheap and nasty and user pays in your face everywhere.

Its not for me.

UnderneathTheRadar
28th Jan 2011, 04:43
Your flight was 1 hour late.
You're p*ssed that no-one smiled at you.
You left no margin for anything in your schedule.
You know (because, according to your post everyone has told you) that they will never be on time.
And you won't fly Jetstar again?

Crikey - with that logic, you've only got 3 more flights domestically in Australia before you have to start driving. Better use them for trips to Perth or Tassie.

MrWooby
28th Jan 2011, 04:47
Basically you get what you pay for. I have travelled Jetstar (QF staff travel) about 10 times over the last 6 months. I have never been a fan of Jetstar, but I am reasonably impressed with the service I have received. Staff travel check in has always been pleasant with helpful staff. Flights have always been roughly on time, with no cancellations. Yes, the seat spacing is very tight, but have sat in the exit rows quite a few times. In flt service, well I dont expect any so am not disappointed. Flt attendants have been cheerful and have done there job well.

On a recent flight, I was sitting in an isle seat in the emergency exit row, a passenger sat down in the window seat of the exit row, unfortunately he wasn't quite the full quid. The young flt attendant handled the situation very well, she sat beside the pax asked him if could operate the door, the very gently persuaded him that he woud be better in another seat. Very diplomatically and professionally handled.

TBM-Legend
28th Jan 2011, 04:47
Flew JQ BNE-NTL-BNE last Nov. On time both directions with nice chairs and good service. Some of the pax left a bit to be desired however!

limitedrisk
28th Jan 2011, 04:51
So they lose a few punters here and there. The bulk of their "clientel" come back cause when they reach for there wallet while booking on line they end up with the cheapest ticket - can't help themselves.....if this wasn't the case they would have exhausted their "clientel pool" by now.

Jack Ranga
28th Jan 2011, 04:58
One female flight steward smiled out of the whole lot

That's nothin' mate, I got a running commentary of the previous nights activities from two same sex F/A's sitting behind me when the 'service' had finished :yuk: normally up for a bit of commentary but not from a pair of blokes :ugh:

PPRuNeUser0198
28th Jan 2011, 07:04
The airline continues to grow 30% year-on-year with improvements in RPK and seat factor.

If the airline is so bad - the consumer still travels with them. Why? Because the demographic is driven by the dollar and that is the bottom line.

Otherwise you'd see declines across all metrics and this is not the case.

Capetonian
28th Jan 2011, 07:10
If the airline is so bad - the consumer still travels with them. Why? Because the demographic is driven by the dollar and that is the bottom line.

So Bruce Buchanan is Australia's answer to Michael O'Leary. The Ryanair/Jetstar approach obviously works for some people, in my view that's great, it keeps them off the other airlines and off the roads. I see that as a benefit, the only problem being that I sometimes have to share airports with them but more and more LCCs have their own cattle sheds at airports, allowing other pax to use the proper terminals.

The Tn Man
28th Jan 2011, 07:19
Asteriod Boy..You have got to be kidding ,wont travel even with them on staff travel..Taxi to airport is probably double to what you have paid,I bet the inflight service was great ,Smiles/Nice Clean interior /Well maintained Cab/Driver has a good understanding of road rules and uses his knowledge on the safest way to get you to your destination.Mate go and get a job somewhere else, pay full fare and then start complaining.

skybed
28th Jan 2011, 07:24
greyhound on steroids or as mentioned 1 star. you get what you pay for:ok:

PPRuNeUser0198
28th Jan 2011, 08:41
The Ryanair/Jetstar approach obviously works for some people

Ryanair - hated by so many people and always aggressively commented on, yet such a successful business that continues to grow and proposer - why - dollar!

Everyone is quick to deplore their practices, service, business etc - but on the next page they're flying them...There are many "hyprocrites" amongst us.

End of the day - travel is available to a greater proportion of "human beings" (subjective) and as such, people demand cost-down on fares - but want all the trimmings. I'm sorry but "that aint gonna happen". World-wide yields have seen a 3% decline in the last 10 years...LCC's operate on thin margins and survive on ancillary revenue - all the cost ++ factors.

From $1 in revenue I believe the current return is 7 cents after all costs.

And looking at Jetstar's books - they're getting around 6% return on investment...better off putting the money in the bank and closing the airline...Oh, but then there would be an outcry due to the lack of low fares...

Jabiman
28th Jan 2011, 08:51
better off putting the money in the bank and closing the airline
Have your forgotten the GFC already?
I think more financial institutions have gone broke than airlines recently.

PPRuNeUser0198
28th Jan 2011, 09:00
Jabiman - you're not seeing the point. Airline returns are poor. Yields continue to decline. Capacity is outstripping demand...

The consumer wants a lower price - it is a virtuous circle:

- low fares;
- stimulate demand;
- increases scale;
- reduces cost by leveraging on scale/economies;
- increases capacity and growth; and
- drives lower fares to stimulate demand...

And the cycle continues.

If the costs don't come down with the increase in growth, or they go up exponentially, the lower yield that "simulated the demand in the first place" does not cover costs and revenues turn into losses = unsustainable = collapse.

Massey058
28th Jan 2011, 09:06
I utterly despise JetStar on many levels. Would never in my lifetime actually pay to fly with them either in 0A or any of the other seats.

Problem is I am an informed consumer - there are others out there but even some informed consumers may disagree with my views on what an insidiously dangerous entity JetStar is. The simple fact is the general travelling public at large know little about the nuts and bolts of the industry -and maybe they shouldn't need too.

The only factors that the general travelling public are able to discriminate against are largely the price and customer service. Finding their tolerance level as a mix of the two.

If only Plane Talking had greater exposure amongst the swarming masses.

Black Maria
28th Jan 2011, 09:13
My base location does not equal my home location so I commute once/twice a month. Thus Interline Z'd fare is my lifeline.

Have to say that the Jetstar operation (at least the guys in CNS) are absolutely fantastic.

For those with problems, maybe it is a basing thing!

FFG 02
28th Jan 2011, 09:26
Why aren't the hosties smiling?

Probably because they are doing their 6th day in a row of 4 sector days, 12-15hr shifts, dealing with the &*^%$#@$^& that when you are in a hospitality industry, you unfortunately come across. That and the decent shifts are now being done by casuals (& foreigners) & it gets to the point where maybe they just don't care.

Should we?

Absolutely. If they don't care and aren't up to speed with Emergency Procedures, should they be operating. It doesn't matter because and accountant somewhere as decreed it's cheaper!!!!

Another re prices. How many of us have gone to the local hardware shop, bottle shop. Or have you just gone to Bunnings or Dan Murphys 'cause they are cheaper. Not saying it is right but the dollar rules more than you think!

1a sound asleep
28th Jan 2011, 09:53
You obviously have never flown Tiger Airways In Australia then.

If Qantas is 9/10
Virgin Blue is 7/10
Jetstar 4/10
Tiger is 1/10

ozaub
28th Jan 2011, 09:56
At least with Jetstar there's a likelyhood of near new airplane. Some QF 737s and 767s are almost 20 years old. That's about the age of Aloha's convertible 737 back in 1988 that triggered a raft of remedial action to counter complacency on aging aircraft. Are we getting complacent again?
I used to be agin LCCs but last year put together an interesting and inexpensive trip around the world on them - inc. Air Asia, Ryanair, Southwest and Jstar. 11 flights on 7 LCCs. All planes were reasonably new and on schedule!

astroboy55
28th Jan 2011, 10:35
ahhhh..i thought my post implied that I did pay full fare..on VB (unless of course I can go on QF staff travel..)

Inflight 'service'.... "eh mate, do ya want some biscuits or sumthin'?
Clean aircraft.....chewing gum stuck to both mine and my partners seats and arm rests

no thanks

Shark Patrol
28th Jan 2011, 10:51
At least with Jetstar there's a likelyhood of near new airplane.

Ozaub, is aircraft age your main priority when flying? Irregardless, you have hit on the main point that aggrieves QF mainline pilots so much. Management are so orange-focussed and orange-driven, that they are happy to keep pumping money into the purchase of new aircraft for the airline that has the slimmest margins.

In the meantime, the "premium" service is allowed to suffer with outdated and unrelaible equipment, thus really p*ssing off the passengers who pay the most to fly with us. But, hey, I'm only an airline pilot, what the hell do I know. Where's The Professor to explain the managment brilliance in this approach?

PS Staff travel or full-paid travel, NEVER EVER travelled with Jetstar, NEVER EVER EVER will!!

Avpro
28th Jan 2011, 11:12
Come on Massey058, 'insidiously dangerous entity'? Are you serious? You would never in your lifetime actually pay to fly with them and yet you fly for Suzi and must regularly travel on commercial carriers in Indonesia? Did you fly with Jetstar often before you formed your opinion?

Sandilands is media, and we know how the media works.

Cleared Visual
28th Jan 2011, 14:03
I'll admit, i am merely SLF, so therefore i must be oblivious to all aspects of aviation except the price of the ticket, but here goes:

My biggest complaint is not Jetstar itself, i know it is terrible for service and punctuality, cos when i fly it is down the back, and usually because i have to be somewhere at a certain time, and my schedule tight because my employer booked the ticket. In fact one company i worked for refused to book them altogether because there was not enough flexibility - fair enough, its a budget airline. Here's the issue. Try getting an international flight out of Darwin to anywhere! Until air asia showed up a few weeks ago, if you were heading out of the country, then you were on Jetstar, or paying a considerable sum to go via the East Coast.

Its easy for them to continually grow, if the group pull QF mainline out of markets and replace them with JQ. I am happy to pay a few $ extra for a bit of service and a flexible ticket. I am NOT happy to sacrifice them for a saving of $20 or even $100 over a four hour flight. I'm a tall person, and that extra seat pitch makes a massive difference to me! Denying customers choice, while telling them you are giving them more choice is just treating them with contempt, and sorry to say, but at least (IMHO) DJ for their failings, don't pretend to be anything they are not!

Massey058
28th Jan 2011, 19:34
Come on Massey058, 'insidiously dangerous entity'? Are you serious? You would never in your lifetime actually pay to fly with them and yet you fly for Suzi and must regularly travel on commercial carriers in Indonesia? Did you fly with Jetstar often before you formed your opinion?

Difference is when I'm up the front I make the decisions. On the company dollar I have flown JetStar it was crap and I've heard enough horror stories from colleagues and friends. As far as LCC's go I continue to be impressed by Air Asia. Hell even Garuda have come a long way and I would place them ahead of JetStar nowadays.

Mandala were good but they're have financial difficulties. Flew Lion Air once, never again in this lifetime that is for sure. Same goes for Merpati, although I've never flown them, I've been around long enough to be afraid, very afraid.

Keg
28th Jan 2011, 19:49
As far as LCC's go I continue to be impressed by Air Asia.

I wonder how impressed you would have been if you were on one of the TWO flights that went very close to smacking in on approach to Gold Coast?

AnQrKa
28th Jan 2011, 20:12
"I wonder how impressed you would have been if you were on one of the TWO flights that went very close to smacking in on approach to Gold Coast?"

Probably no less impressed than had the person been on a full service legacy carrier such as Qantas that has "come close" on various occasions in the last bunch of years.

Or are we not supposed to say that.

Keg
28th Jan 2011, 21:33
You're right. The demonstrated performance of QF crews over the last few years in some pretty unusual circumstances just doesn't stand up beside Air Asia's recent demonstrated performance. How silly of me to highlight it. :rolleyes:

ozaub
28th Jan 2011, 21:48
Kegs
Too soon to draw comparisons between QF and AirAsia but Southwest is statistically just as safe as Qantas. Southwest has flown for almost 40 years and like Qantas has never killed a pax on a jet. But Southwest operates four times as many A/C (550 vs 132) and seven times as many flights as Qantas. Admittedly in 2005 Southwest killed a single person in a car when flight 1248 overran on to a highway, but equally Qantas has had on ground fatalities including a pax fall in Feb 2009 and I recollect a galley accident c. 1992.

parabellum
28th Jan 2011, 22:40
In the meantime, the "premium" service is allowed to suffer with outdated and unrelaible equipment

That would be the A380 then?;)

(Love the airline, not the aircraft).

Brian Abraham
28th Jan 2011, 23:10
Rocked up at Tulla in coat and tie for flight to be greeted by surly check in gal. Boarded aircraft to be told we don't have a seat for you so you better take a seat a class lower than had been paid for (two people had been assigned the same seat), oh, and you're not on the manifest. While waiting for taxi a nancy boy steward thought it fun to use pax as a butt for risque jokes. After arriving Sydney everything sorted for onward travel.

Jetstar? VB? Tiger? Nope, good reliable QF. Flight to MEL-LAX was as a full fare first class pax. At the time I hoped everyone was just having a bad day. One saving grace was the CC lass who handed over two bottles of wine on disembarkation at LAX.

Point is, most can come up with a story about every airline.

AnQrKa
29th Jan 2011, 00:05
"The demonstrated performance of QF crews"

You are conveniently ignoring some examples of where QF came "close to smacking in", literally in the case of CBR (and others).

Should we extract some real data comparing Air Asia crew error rates with Qantas crew error rates or are you more comfortable willy waving based upon anecdotal bar talk?

Golf anyone?

The Tn Man
29th Jan 2011, 00:15
AB ..You were complaining about J* service not Virgin..Fare $30 Dlrs,I reckon you would still complain if it was for gratis!!,I would love to go back prior to LCC and everyone would be happy but this is not going to happen is it ? accept it and get on with life and stop complaining and appreciate what you have on offer,...$30 friken dollars ..give me a break..

You would rather support the opposition and pay full fare and bite the hand that feeds you..for what,a bit a chewing gum on the seat and the F/A didnt happen to smile at you!!

Oriana
29th Jan 2011, 00:21
Anqkra...that was meant as a joke, right?

Mr. Hat
29th Jan 2011, 00:47
Oh don't forget that Aviation is the only industry in the world where the more experience you gather the less safe the operation is.

AJ and BB contradicted each other beautifully in the period of QF 32! Who cares anyway. At the end of the day they'll just do what they want. You want the cheapest fare? Fine you take the risks.

There is no such thing as a "Cheap" fare. Everything has a price. You pay for risk of cancellation, disruption and whatever else. Thinner margins: its your call. Don't complain when it goes wrong or I'll tell you to shut up and p!ss off.:}

Tidbinbilla
29th Jan 2011, 00:57
Your purpose would be better served on Crikey.