PDA

View Full Version : US Based-Passport Renewal

I'mbatman
27th Jan 2011, 20:45
I need to get my passport renewed and they are telling me I need to mail it in for processing. Is there a better way? They said I can expedite it but I still don't trust them to get it back to me in the even I have a trip. Anyone know CX's stance on this?

Harbour Dweller
27th Jan 2011, 22:28
Send it sea mail & enjoy your time off.

Sue Ridgepipe
27th Jan 2011, 23:53
If you tell them you need to travel they should let you keep the old one while they process the new one.
They only reason I can think that they would need the old one is to make sure it is cancelled, which they can do when you get the new one.

ChuckECheeze
28th Jan 2011, 00:25
I had mine done same day in the US. Certain passport locations do this for a fee, and you need to make an appointment by phone (pretty easy, and you can pick the day you want without difficulty). You just show up in the morning with your old passport, 2 pics and some money - give it to them, and return after lunch to pick up the new one. Here's a link to find one near you....

Passport Agencies (http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html)

hobie5
28th Jan 2011, 01:45
There are 2 ways to get it quickly.

1. Either go to a passport agency in the US and request expedited service. They will take your old passport right then, punch a hole in it, and you can collect it either that day or the next(depends when it is completed). For that you have to pay passport fee and expedite fee.

2. I have not done this but it sounds great. Next trip to HK, go to the US Embassy an submit your passport renewal. They will not take your current passport since you need it for travel. Next time through HK stop by and get it. I have had pages added in HK and it went very smooth.

Hope this helps.

411A
28th Jan 2011, 02:03
Renewal is possible in two days by FedEx, for an extra hefty fee.
For pilots that are too cheap...wait longer.:}

NB.
One of our pilots renewed his passport in one day, by traveling directly to the local US State Department passport office....with photo in hand.
Cost was $289, as I recall, for super expedited service.
Local Passport Offices are listed on line, or...in the telephone directory (the latter if you are lucky).

VforVENDETTA
28th Jan 2011, 02:17
You can do it in person and it takes about half a day of waiting to get it done. You have to call and make an appointment at the local US passport office (if there's one near you) and go. Once you turn in your old passport, they'll still take some hours before the new one is ready. You need to get a letter from basings office saying that you're a pilot employed with xx airlines etc... they get this request often and have a pre-typed letter ready to send and will email it to you. The passport office will want this letter when you show up at your appointment. Take your printed schedule too.

Don't fall for the gov. authorized private passport shops that will FEDEX the passport overnight etc..., they will charge you two arms and and a leg. They try real hard to make their ads look like it's the US passport agency itself. Welcome to America where everything is for sale and there's no limits to outsourcing, even when it comes to issuing passports.

:ok:

404 Titan
28th Jan 2011, 04:50
Don't get me started on trying to renew my US crew visa. How the hell are you suppose to renew this visa when the US consulate in Sydney can't give me an interview date for over six months.:ugh::yuk:

It would appear they really don't want anyone going to the good ol US of A at all.:ugh:

Xcaliber
28th Jan 2011, 07:20
Do it in HK if you can. You can keep your passport while they issue you a new one.

Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong & Macau - Passports (http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_passports.html)

404 Titan
28th Jan 2011, 08:40
Xcaliber

Thanks for that. The fact they give you your PP back while it is being processed would make all the difference doing it in HK. The Sydney consulate needs four clear working days to process the visa and require your passport for those days and will only let you receive it by registered post. :ugh:

Runway101
28th Jan 2011, 18:56
Most European countries can issue a second passport on application for exactly this kind of reason (ie. passport renewal or if you need to apply for visas frequently where you need to hand in your passport, but you need to travel at the same time). I am told this second passport is also used by some that may have to visit Israel and then later Islamic states... (some won't let you in if you have been to Isreal before, even if you are just a tourist).

Why not the US?

joejet
28th Jan 2011, 23:31
Others are correct that the US consulate in Hong Kong does a GREAT job getting a passport reissued in short order. The problem is that when you get you new passport, you are required to give the company 72 hours notice of a change in your passport number. Effectively you need to have 3 days off in HKG for this to be processed. If you have less than this time between reporting your new number, and returning to the USA as an operating crew member, you are not legal to operated a flight back home. The issue is not CX, but the TSA. The TSA requires 48 hours notice of a change in crew passport numbers, if your passport does not match the gen dec you will be denied entry and/or fined. CX uses 72 hours to ensure there is adequate overlap. The only way to return to the USA is on a paper ticket, hence PXing back home. Not good!

Spend the money and do it at home then you will avoid missing a flight and PXing home.

babasinkeh
29th Jan 2011, 00:17
Had great difficulty in getting an interview with the US consulate for visa on new passport. I could fly using my new passport but continue using my existing valid crew visa on the old passport.

My question is; my family members have just renewed their passports. ...can they travel to the uS using their new passports but existing valid VISITORS visa on the old passports? Lady operator at US consulate gave confusing and conflicting reply to my question. Hope someone can help. Thanks

411A
29th Jan 2011, 05:13
Why not the US?

The USA does the same, and I have one.

GlueBall
1st Feb 2011, 10:09
You can use the visa in your old passport; ask the passport agency or embassy not to punch holes through the visa page of your expiring passport.

Oval3Holer
3rd Feb 2011, 04:58
Do it in HK. It's a piece of cake. I did it. Like buttah. Oh, and you can keep it while they do it. All it takes is two short trips downtown.