PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to Florida S76 - February

tistisnot
26th Jan 2011, 11:21
Be grateful for best suggestion for routeing given the likely weather?

rotorbrent
26th Jan 2011, 12:52
Take the coast South to I-10 then I-10 across to florida would be your best weather. Of course you could still find some nasty ice along that route in Feb. Ice potential and pretty Hi Inroute IFR altitudes you would have to do it mostly VFR. until Texas.

Gordy
26th Jan 2011, 14:31
All depends on which day...play the weather and do this:

Seattle to Floriduh (http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/fuelroute/A/SEA-S80-JAC-LAR-CBK-BVO-0M0-12J-TLH-PIE-MIA)

Hedge36
26th Jan 2011, 15:16
Gordy's got the right idea. The desert southwest (AZ, NM) tends to get a bit breezy below 5000' that time of year.

Gemini Twin
26th Jan 2011, 21:41
Came home in a Twin Ranger from Miami after HAI 92 , via Tallahassee-Jackson-Dallas-Midland-Van Horn-Las Cruces-Tucson- Blythe- Lompoc - Red Bluff-Medford-Roseburg-Olympia. Possible missed a few other stops along the way but you will not need that many in the S76. Great weather all the way except for half day delay in Jackson and Roseburg.

Rotorhead77
26th Jan 2011, 22:08
Did a trip from Vancouver, B.C. to Lubbock, T.X. in Dec. of 03 or 04 with a 76. Routing was:
Seattle-Roseburg-Klamath Falls (diversion due weather)-Susanville
Tonopah-Vegas(No really! We needed fuel there)-Flagstaff
Gallup-Tucumcari-Lubbock.

We were trying to get to Lafayette but abandoned ship in Lubbock due to ice storms.

SASless
26th Jan 2011, 22:27
I've done a couple of these flights in 500's....and prefer Gordy's routing. If you cannot get over the Mountains east of Seattle....head down to Portland and go up the Columbia River (mind the wires) and route to The Dalles, Pendleton, La Grande, Baker, Boise, Pocatella, and into Wyoming. This time of the year you will have a good tailwind I would assume....pick a weather window if you have that luxury and do it in some severe clear and enjoy a beautiful trip.

I preferred to stop at smaller airports and avoided large airports....the refuel is quicker, the folks are nicer usually, and makes the trip much quicker as a result. Lots of times the fuel truck was ready for me when I arrived if I called on Unicom.

In Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming....IFR works good....I-5, I-84, I-80......with a detour along US-30 north and northeast of SLC.:E

malabo
27th Jan 2011, 00:01
Done a few of these with different aircraft this time of year. Pretty much followed Gordy's and SASless routing and used the same style of small airports (without control towers if possible) that had fuel. Weather briefing from the weather channel in the motel. 3 days average.

FoxtrotAlpha18
28th Jan 2011, 04:49
Did a trip from Vancouver, B.C. to Lubbock, T.X. in Dec. of 03 or 04 with a 76. Routing was:
Seattle-Roseburg-Klamath Falls (diversion due weather)-Susanville
Tonopah-Vegas(No really! We needed fuel there)-Flagstaff
Gallup-Tucumcari-Lubbock.

Klamath Falls :ok: God's country!

Tonopah?! :eek: Any scrutiny there?

tistisnot
28th Jan 2011, 20:52
Many thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. Walls adorned with maps and charts so let the plans begin. Any advice on pitfalls VFR in USA (and not meaning the wires!)? Thanks again

NickLappos
29th Jan 2011, 01:28
tistisnot,
Having flown one 76 or another across the US perhaps 20 times, just a few tips - since the aircraft is a great cross country machine, they are hardly necessary.

I suggest following the weather, jump the mountains where the ceiling allows. Once east of the rockies, punch south by the Mississippi river so you avoid the Alleghenies and just turn the corner at Tallahassee.

Stop at Kansas City and eat at Oklahoma Joe's Barbeque, then be sure and grab the oysters in Apalachicola FL.

Tips for cruise: Go up, as long as the winds are favorable, which they should be going west to east. Cruise at 7000 to 9000, set the fuel flow/torque so you get top milage. Use the trick of setting up a steady cruise at altitude, and then trim to 2 airspeeds and note the power/fuel flow to get the optimum. At each speed, just divide the TAS into the total fuel flow (Lbfuel/Hr divided by NM/Hr = Lbfuel/NM) so you can see how many pounds of gas takes you 1 mile. Pick the best speed, the lowest fuel per mile, and replan your gas stop if you can go 50 miles past. You should get numbers like 5 lb/NM or so, 4 Lb/NM for an A or A+. With a full bag of gas (1850lbs) you should be able to make 300 to 320nm between stops. On the Flightcase Planning Chart, that is the length of a typical ball point pen.

Never take the tower suggestion to park in the southeast ramp far from the pumps like skidded helicopters, you are a first class citizen, taxi up to the main flight line with bottom collective like a good neighbor

Never buy a McDonald's shake at the place across the street and then launch off to the sky with it on the center console while you munch a Big Mac, unless you want vanilla shake all over the radios as the entrapped air expands just like they told you in flight school!

File and fly IFR wherever it seems ok, the bird can certainly handle it. Have a blast, it is a fun flight!.

Dick Smith
29th Jan 2011, 01:54
Are this takes me back. Once flew a S 76 around the world from east to west including across the USA from New York to Nome.

What a great machine - flew mainly at 500 agl to see the sites. One of the highlights was Everest base camp.

rotorfan
29th Jan 2011, 05:51
Stop at Kansas City and eat at Oklahoma Joe's Barbeque, If you take Nick's suggestion to stop here in Kansas City, give me a heads-up and I'll meet you at the field and take you to eat. I'll probably scare up some other rotorheads to join us, too.

BTW, Nick doesn't just appear to know about good food, he obviously has great taste in restaurants. OK Joe's is but one of many super BBQ places here in KC. It's a good food city. Need proof? Just look around at the weight most adults are carrying:E (and too many of the kids :uhoh:).

SASless
29th Jan 2011, 12:54
Nick....where's the fun in all that? Smith says it right.....take the scenic tour....stay in good VFR...fly down where you can see something....fly it like it is a helicopter and not a turboprop airplane.

Saving one fuel stop on a flight like this seems the lesser of the priorities....as does the hassle of dealing with major airports when there are hundreds of small airports that will treat you like visiting royalty and who will really enjoy seeing a 76 on their ramp. I found that to be the way to maximize the opportunity of crossing this grand country by helicopter. The view from 7,000 feet (when it is above actual ground level) is not much different than when sitting in an airliner peering out the wee window.

As to IFR....last time I checked clouds all looked the same from inside them no matter where in the world I was.

Flyting
29th Jan 2011, 13:42
Touché SASless...... I'm with you :ok:
I've never done anything in the US but I know Africa from ferrying. Greater photo oppotunity and sight seeing from lower down...
Guess the trip depends on whether it's a joyfull or a "breathing down your neck BOSS" trip. Why not sell a few seats to pax who would love to do this trip...should be space in the boot of the 76... I know I would love to pax that... enjoy and don't rush. Wait for weather and discover the smaller off route places. Take your time to see some beauty instead of planking it accross IF.

SASless
29th Jan 2011, 13:57
I well know what you mean about Africa....Elephants are supposed to look like....well Elephants and not errrrr....Mice. Amazing how big the Catfish are in Hippo pools....they must eat well! Keeping a Sentry Baboon away from the Baboon troop has a certain amount of enjoyment too I might add!

Did a ferry flight on Christmas Day in Iran in '78 in a Jet Ranger.....severe clear under the very low overcast....had to navigate by the base of mountains to find our fuel stashes. That was a memorable flight.

Several good flights from Deadhorse to Lafayette and San Diego....lots of snow, fog, rain, cloud....some chip lights, ran short of fuel and got some from a crop sprayer....met some awfully nice people along the way on them.

Some times....one must just lean back....and simply enjoy flying for the sheer sake of flying. There is something to be said for heading SE for a full day and merely check Town Names on Silo's and Train Stations....or the odd highway sign.

Now days I might even just set the GPS to my fuel stop.....and watch the Distance/ETE count down and now and then ensure the map matched what the GPS was saying. Almost like flying offshore looking for Whales!

Gordy
29th Jan 2011, 18:23
I am with SASless too....

I am about to head back out on contract again....Each year in February, I leave Northern California and fly to Missouri, then in April I fly up to Michigan and then to Idaho in June, finally back to California sometime in October. This inter-spaced with all the cross-country dispatches while on fires---from Arizona to Florida to Louisiana to New Mexico and Washington States.

I generally never go above 300' agl....(fear of heights an all)... I keep a photo blog of sorts, which I have posted here before---more for my crew than anything but feel free to look at it here:

The Adventures of LaFawnduh--A Fire Fighting Helicopter (http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/forum/index.php?topic=889.0)

(Mods---feel free to delete the link, although I am not advertising anything)

NickLappos
29th Jan 2011, 20:42
OK, I stand corrected, sightseeing is wonderful in a helo. I do admit that once I flew from Pittsburgh to Leadville Colorado no higher than (cough cough) 501 feet. I also admit to flying once from West Palm Beach Florida to Stratford Connecticut and achieving the distinction of passing every Vortac with a reading of 0.0 DME range.

Pick a clear day and sweep across the Rockies and then the farmlands of the mid-west and south at visual heights, it is wonderful!

grumpytroll
29th Jan 2011, 23:25
"Stop at Kansas City and eat at Oklahoma Joe's Barbeque"

Check out the fixes on the ILS for 1R in Kansas City. They like their BBQ!

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1101/00780IL1R.PDF

Cheers

grumpytroll
30th Jan 2011, 02:33
REALLY? thats interesting. live and learn.

SASless
30th Jan 2011, 11:51
Not a hard thing to do when one remembers 0.1 DME is 600 feet. Assuming a perfect World exists.

What is more interesting is how much difference there is between the paint job on bridges....Top, Sides, and Bottom.

AnFI
30th Jan 2011, 12:20
unless you use Statute Miles .... doh!

NickLappos
30th Jan 2011, 14:27
The trick we found to a 0.0 DME flyover was to point straight at the vortac and flyover it no higher than about 50 feet. It also helped to time the DME updates so that you got the next computation just as you passed over the transmitter.

Ralph is right flying cross-country at low altitude in a helicopter is dynamite.

tistisnot
30th Mar 2011, 02:51
The Lappos dynamite option avoiding the big cities proved best - though that meant we were unable to avail ourselves of Joe´s BBQ at Kansas sadly! The hospitality, courtesy cars, wide smiles and regaling of adventures with Limey sailors many moons ago sadly gave way after countless statute miles of seemingly uninhabited wilderness to robotic warped rogue Grenzschutzpolizei individuals causing needless delays to our schedule.

Electronic manifests inbound / outbound reminded me of Brazilian or Indian bureaucracy at play. And the hotel and fuel costs increased dramatically as we progressed East with correspondingly disappointing reduction in service and amenities.

The Caribbean was alive with colour, and stupid foreigners bemoaning the lack of urgency. Volcanic ash, pastel blues, diving whales, and the yachting fraternity.

Brasil was unexpectedly stunning travelling through the centre regions in between showers, and we soon made it after 10 days travelling to Cabo Frio where yet another aircraft becomes available for the Brazilian crews on contract with Petrobras.

Multiply - Couver to Cabo - Express (http://multiply.com/slideshow/todg:photos:44)

Variable Load
30th Mar 2011, 05:28
Having wished you an enjoyable trip in YVR before you left, it's great to see the photos and appreciate what you experienced.
Time now for a proper job?? :sad:

wde
3rd Apr 2011, 17:50
Great picture book.

I'm jealous of the opportunity you had!

Walt