PDA

View Full Version : Citation Corrosion problems !

60fo
25th Jan 2011, 16:37
Hello Fellow aviators

Any of you guy´s that is avare of any corrosion problems on the 525 series i am talking about aircraft that are made from 2003 and forward is this common with serious corrosion problems ?

over and out

theficklefinger
25th Jan 2011, 17:51
Common corrosion problems tended to be in the leading edge on SII's where the TCAS panels were fitted, or back by the lav, due to spilled blue water.

Trim Stab
25th Jan 2011, 19:20
What do you mean by "serious"?

Has the aircraft been hangared?

Does it spend a lot of time in salt-laden air?

bingofuel
25th Jan 2011, 19:47
I think there was a requirement to de-skin part of the fuselage behind and below the pilot seat and examine for corrosion, as there was concerns about leaks from the pilots 'comfort tube', however I would have thought all aircraft concerned would have been inspected by now

60fo
25th Jan 2011, 20:27
Hi !

The problems looks to be around the TCAS and some other antennas but they say 3 month to repair it all :mad:

The aircraft is always in hangar and are operating mostly in central Europe.

I will get some pictures tomorrow but it scares me alote since we are looking to buy one more 525 but that just have to wait now

om15
26th Jan 2011, 10:19
Bingofuel,

This was quite a serious problem, the FAA issued AD 2008-03-10 to address poor quality design and build, some aircraft had to have a complete belly skin repair, and this on aircraft less than 2 years old.
Quote,

SUMMARY: We are adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain Cessna Aircraft
Company (Cessna) Models 525, 525A, and 525B airplanes. This AD requires you to inspect the lower wing skin structure, forward wing spar, lower fuselage skin, fairings, and the external fairing frames for corrosion; repair any damage found; apply a corrosion inhibitive sealant to the fuselage
fairings before reinstalling; and disable the cockpit mounted pilot relief tube. This AD results from leaking of the cockpit mounted pilot relief tube, which caused corrosion of the airplane structure. We are issuing this AD to detect and correct any damage from corrosion of the airplane structure.
Corrosion of the airplane structure could cause structural degradation and lead to structural failure of the airplane with consequent loss of control.

BoilerUP
26th Jan 2011, 14:51
I'm not sure what date or serial numbers the block change took place, but our 2009 CJ2+ does not have a pilot relief tube (what a stupid idea for a jet, even a single-pilot capable one IMO) and thus was not subject to the AD.

60fo
26th Jan 2011, 14:56
This AD 2008-03-10 is this mandatory ? And i have a feeling that if this was done properly we would not have such a problem now ?

Thank you guy´s for this information

BoilerUP
26th Jan 2011, 15:03
All Airworthiness Directives are mandatory.

No, this does not represent a fleet-wide corrosion problem with the CJ series.

The AD requires simply requires an inspection for corrosion and disabling the relief tube, and if corrosion is found (which would be caused by use of the relief tube) to repair the corrosion by necessary means up to and including skin replacement and application of a corrosion sealant.

If the relief tube was never or very rarely used, then it'd be safe to say the odds of finding corrosion during the inspection are minimal.

Trim Stab
27th Jan 2011, 15:03
The problems looks to be around the TCAS and some other antennas but they say 3 month to repair it all http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

If the corrosion is so bad that it will take three months to repair, it sounds like the aircraft has not been maintained. Corrosion should get found - and the reason for it corrected - long before it gets that bad....

Is it the same aircraft that is in maintenance at LFPB that has had an intermittent bleed air duct overheat for about three years, with nothing done by the operator until it was found that the precooler had been leaking bleed air into the pylon so that now the whole pylon needs replacing too?

Hipster
22nd Feb 2013, 03:50
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with the wing panel corrosion on the Citation 750?
Sounds like a nasty problem, with potential for a class action.:confused:

His dudeness
22nd Feb 2013, 06:12
No idea of the 750, but there seems to be a lot of corrosion on various Citations in Europe, Cessna blames the runway de-icing agents used by some airports in Europe which are more environmental friendly (apparently...) and thus lack an corrosion inhibitor that is contained in fluid used elsewhere.

Dunno for the rest of the fleet, but the Inspection Doc.42 on the 680 shows that we are in a "corrosive environment" in Europe, thus we have a corrosion check every 6 months. There are several SILs on the subject as well. cessna recommends washing the airplane as soon as possible after flight/operating in suspected corrosive environmment.

We have ours threated with "COR-BAN" which should protect the caves better. (thats what Cessna says - time will tell)

Ours had no signs yet (5.5 years old, roughly 1450hrs), operated in Europe.

Cessna says other manufacturers do have the same issue. (do they?)

Paint quality has been an issue with Cessna in my experience, but I had huge chunks of paint fly off a Challenger 300 as well. I guess the experience with the old primers, colours etc. is all out of the window and we relearn on the newer, 'greener' stuff right now.

epsum
22nd Feb 2013, 19:30
Learjet has his own issues with corrosion as well, but Bombardies blames moisture and Arctica de-icing fluid for it. Arctica is blamed mainly for initial paint damages, our a/c are mainly operated in Russia, Scandiland and Eastern Europe. But if I have understand our tech people correctly, those kind of a problems come when living this area anyway.

orion1210
22nd Feb 2013, 19:57
Report any suspected toilet spills/leaks as soon as possible to your mx shop. I have been involved in many toilet induced corrosion repairs on various citation types and as extreme as a no1 stringer change spilce as far forward as the main door on a 3 month old cj 3. A spill will soon track forward and aft in service and all lower antenna fus mating faces will become contaminated with corrosion following very soon after. Be sure that the seal cup on the aft px bulkhead is inspected in addition on the cj range as this is primary structure and expensive to change if it starts to go.

Its worth admitting a spill and spending the extra money required to get in there and clean things properly under the floors than risk the almost inevitable rot.

As far as the relief tube ad goes i never came across any related corrosion as a result of the required inspections.... I worked in a busy citation service centre at the time.