PDA

View Full Version : CPL IR/ME 4 days a week

UAV689
25th Jan 2011, 12:37
Hi All -

Recently asked my boss for a sabatical to train for CPL/IR and he has posed the question could I go down to a 3 day week and train on the 2 days off and weekends.

Any thoughts, is 4 days a week enough to train? or does it need to be living and breathing it 7 days a week? It would also make sure I am still bringing in some wonga whilst training.

UAV

VJW
25th Jan 2011, 14:32
My previous boss was brilliant too when I trained.

4 days a week is plenty, you'll never do 7 days a week in my opinion anyway. Everyone needs a break here and there- not to mention I'm sure the weather in the UK wouldn't allow that.

I use to have the school call me when a slot opened up, and I'd leave work at short notice.

If you flew a 2 hr lesson everyday you'd have finished the 25 hr CPL course in 12 days, but I don't think any school in the UK would be able to focus that much resources onto one student (perhaps I'm wrong) - and you'd be frazzled by the end of it.

UAV689
25th Jan 2011, 14:55
that is exactly what i was thinking,

even the RAF boys only fly a few days a week inbetween huge layoffs of 6 months! and if it is good enough for them then surely good enough for me! :ok:

At least this way i will drop down to a 60% salary, still be able to pay rent/fuel/beer.

Although with fuel going the way it is it will be less beer more petrol :mad:

VJW
25th Jan 2011, 16:23
Ya the sabbatical while a good idea in principle probably wouldn't work due to a combination of jods law and mother nature!

Obviously try to fly on the weekends when you have your days off, put perhaps try and see if your employer will be flexible like my previous one was.

If I had a lesson booked, and was cancelled that day, I just stay at work. Likewise, if I had nothing booked and they called me to say I could go fly, my boss let me go at short notice. Not everyone is that lucky, but it's better then dropping down to 60% salary working mon-wed with thur and fri off to fly. You know for sure, it'll rain and be crappy weather every thur and fri until you finished!

:D