PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Class III FAA medical to UK CAA/JAA Class 2?

Sid.
25th Jan 2011, 09:58
Greetings,

I have third class FAA medical issued on August 2007 which will be valid till aug 2012.

Now I am in Aberdeen, UK and thinking of training for PPL(H) in UK. Although not finalised yet.

Is it at all possible to make use of the existing class III FAA medical for PPL for UK CAA/JAA use? Please note I do not envisage CPL (H) training in near future.

I have found How to obtain a UK JAR Licence if you hold a non-UK medical certificate/licence | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2576) link for conversion but it does quote for CPL and not for PPL.

I hope I can find better information/interpretation from the forum.
Please help.

mad_jock
25th Jan 2011, 11:11
FAA medical doesn't help you out.

AME in Bridge of Don will sort you out with a class II the other AME in Aberdeen is meant to be pretty good as well.

Sid.
25th Jan 2011, 11:34
Thanks mad_jock,

I have already emailed all the AME's in Aberdeen area for medical quotes. I am waiting.

Sid.
25th Jan 2011, 11:47
Went through the link again here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med-UK_JAR_PPL_Mar-2010.pdf

And it is clear from the text that if its a non-JAR medical then I will have to go for JAR Medical either in the UK or any JAA member state.

whew. sorted.

VJW
25th Jan 2011, 14:38
In addition, it may be worth going straight for the JAR Class 1 medical if you're thinking about CPL (H) in the future.

If you're under 40 the JAR Class 1 is valid for 1 year, and then drops down to a class 2 automatically for a further 4 years (which is the same validity as a 5 year JAR Class 2).

No point doing a Class 2 and then a Class 1 soon after. Doing the Class 1 first is always a good bet as to the first thing you do before considering commercial flight training. Can save you a lot of time and money doing it first!

Sid.
25th Jan 2011, 15:45
Thanks for highlighiting it VJW,

I was thinking of the same. Class 1 Initial is conducted only in Glasgow. So it will be added travel plus expenses for me from Aberdeen.

Importantly I do not envisage doing CPL(H) training in near future, unless I win a Lotto.

So for me at age of 32 with PPL intentions only Class 2 should suffice in my view for which I have got quotes from £129 upto £160.

mad_jock
25th Jan 2011, 15:48
Only place you can get an Class I intial is in Gatwick.

VJW
25th Jan 2011, 16:31
My apologies, I read your initial post wrong. I thought you intended to go commercial eventually. Forget what I said a Class 2 is all you'll need.

Mad jock is also correct, Class 1 initial can only be done at my old place of employment - belgrano Gatwick for info!

Sid.
25th Jan 2011, 17:49
Apologies, I meant Gatwick but wrote Glasgow. Silly me.