PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod MR2 Remains Part of RAF Strategy

EdSett100
24th Jan 2011, 22:35
Check out RAF - Strategy (http://www.raf.mod.uk/role/strategic.cfm)

You couldn't make this up.

Nimrod MR2 flight deck pictured on the RAF Strategy page.

OK, the RAF webmaster cannot be expected to know that the RHS pilot left the RAF many moons ago, so that error is forgiveable.

Having seen the embarassing photo, I thought I would check out the current inventory of RAF aircraft, as displayed on the RAF website. Yes, indeed, we still have Nimrod MR2s in the RAF, according to the RAF Webmaster.

Ivan Rogov
24th Jan 2011, 23:01
Here it is, bound to get removed after CAS gets the morning prune brief -

On the modern battlefield, information, particularly accurate and timely information, is vital to any force commander. To supply this resource, the RAF operates a variety of aircraft equipped with world-leading reconnaissance systems. As a maritime nation, protection of the sea lanes is also of paramount importance, a role fulfilled by the Nimrod fleet.

Erm, noooooooo! But to be fair, the RAF does not have a Strategy anymore either :\

Scuttled
25th Jan 2011, 00:56
That's because strategy and capability are inextricably linked. We've lost so many capabilities that the strategy died and nobody noticed.

Anybody recall the 50's film, "The Mouse That Roared"? I'm just wondering if we could convince the cousins to occupy us quickly, if we declared war on them, and annex us soon afterwards. I hardly recognise the place anyway, it may as well become the 51st State. Better that than Britainistan.

Scuttled
25th Jan 2011, 01:01
PS My apologies. Is that Big Frank in the RHS? Can't make out the other guy.

Just interested. I don't have the Air Eng back of Pilot Head Recce skillset.

Creeping Line Ahead
25th Jan 2011, 07:40
Definately Big Frank - and possibly Betty Swallox on the left?

Wizzard
25th Jan 2011, 09:14
Mmm...

There is a not at the bottom of the "future of the RAF" page that states:

"Please Note: the RAF Strategy & Development is updated 2-yearly, the next update will be released in the New Year of 2009":ugh:

What's this out of date cr@p still doing on the interweb? Someone in the mejia department needs a kick up the jacksie.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Jan 2011, 09:32
Far too much hair for Betty!

Pot - Kettle. Over.

Duncs:ok:

Oldsarbouy
25th Jan 2011, 09:36
Must be an apparition but there appears to be a Nimrod in the circuit here at ISK!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Jan 2011, 09:37
Sssssshhhhhhh!

Duncs:ok:

Oldsarbouy
25th Jan 2011, 09:44
Thanks Duncs, side on view shows someone has docked it's tail!:uhoh:

teeteringhead
25th Jan 2011, 15:13
Anybody recall the 50's film, "The Mouse That Roared"? .. but wasn't the "mcguffin" in that the fact that Grand Fenwick actually beat the US,cos they were all doing a bunker exercise at the time... or something.

And didn't Sellars play multiple parts, in anticipation perhaps of Strangelove??

TEEEJ
25th Jan 2011, 16:02
Not seeing things, Oldsarbouy! It is XV249 on detachment.

From RAF Kinloss webpage. Lovely image of an MRA.4 on the page.

RAF Kinloss - Flying Info (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafkinloss/flyinginfo/)

24-28 Jan – 51 Sqn detachment flying the Nimrod R1.

TJ

Dengue_Dude
25th Jan 2011, 18:13
In order to have a strategy . . . don't you need assets?

Another toe shot off - ho hum.

Biggus
25th Jan 2011, 18:38
When I went through training, many, many years ago, the mantra in use by the staff at the time was "..flexibility is the key to airpower...".

I used to say that this was bol*#cks, and that aircraft were obviously the key to airpower. After all, you can be as flexible as a flexible thing, but when you don't have any aircraft you aren't going to achieve much in airpower terms....

Still, I was just a student, and was marked down accordingly!

Easy Street
26th Jan 2011, 00:45
Indecision is the key to flexibility! Worked for years and years of planning rounds...

Rossian
26th Jan 2011, 14:59
...you'd have thought that by now someone would have been braced up to sort it out.

Wouldn't you??

The Ancient Mariner (even older than Frank!)

betty swallox
26th Jan 2011, 16:45
Aye, I think it's me in the LHS (I never let Big Frank in that seat!!), but in bad need of a haircut....Must be a bit ago as it's not got grey "highlights"...

EdSett100
22nd Feb 2011, 21:36
And its still there

AlfTupper
26th Feb 2011, 19:18
If you go the Compare Aircraft page on the main RAF site:

RAF - Compare aircraft (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/compareaircraft.cfm)

You can compare aircraft including the MR2 and MRA4 (neither of which are listed as being out of service) and read all about the contribution that the MRA4 is going to make to the fight against terror.