PDA

View Full Version : So what might it be?

TBM-Legend
24th Jan 2011, 10:29
AUSTRALIA might buy Royal Navy ships mothballed due to savage defence spending cuts announced in Britain last year.

The Defence Minister, Stephen Smith, said he would discuss the decommissioned ships with his British counterpart, the Defence Secretary, Liam Fox. He is in Australia with the Foreign Secretary, William Hague, for talks with Mr Smith and the Foreign Affairs Minister, Kevin Rudd.

''That is one thing that I will have a conversation with Liam Fox about,'' Mr Smith said. ''There is a prospect that that may be of some interest to Australia, but we'll take that step by step.''

:confused:
The British government said in October it would cut its defence budget by 8 per cent, scrapping key assets such as its flagship, the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.

Andrew Davies, of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said yesterday that if the Australian government did buy a British ship, it would be more likely to be a landing ship or landing platform dock rather than a frigate or aircraft carrier.

Jabba_TG12
24th Jan 2011, 11:08
Probably a Bay class or Ocean or Albion, if one of them gets sold off. :suspect:

XV277
24th Jan 2011, 13:15
Probably the Bay Class that is being withdrawn, Ocean is supposed to be staying on when Lusty is retired and one of Albion/Bulwark is going on extended readiness.

GreenKnight121
24th Jan 2011, 23:29
Yes, they are talking specifically about a Bay.

Australian Government, Department of Defence - Stephen Smith MP (http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/SmithTranscripttpl.cfm?CurrentId=11299)

MINISTER FOR DEFENCE: STEPHEN SMITH, MP
TRANSCRIPT: Q&A - DOORSTOP INTERVIEW, ADELAIDE
TRANSCRIPTION: PROOF COPY E & OE
DATE: 19 JANUARY 2011
TOPICS: Security cooperation with the United Kingdom, Defence investment in South Australia

QUESTION: Mr Smith, can you just tell us a little bit about this amphibious capability that you're looking at? What sort of cost would be involved and what would it be used for?

STEPHEN SMITH: We are transitioning to a number of large amphibious landing dock vessels. They're being built in Spain and our timetable for putting those amphibious landing and helicopter dock vessels into operation is the middle of this decade, so 2015.

In the meantime, we have to transition to that and so there is a requirement to look at our existing capability, which we have, and decide whether we need to add to that capability as we make the transition to the new landing dock vessels.

In the course of coming to office, the Cameron Government effected, and Dr Fox effected, a United Kingdom defence security review. As a consequence of that, some naval assets are available for disposal by the United Kingdom.

We want to have a very close look at whether it's appropriate for us to either lease or buy one of the so-called Bay class landing vessels. And I'm not proposing to put a cost on that, we just want to explore whether it is a sensible thing for Australia to do to acquire one of those assets.

It is, I think, reflecting the fact that both governments and both nations are enthusiastic about trying to do more together in the capability space.

…..

QUESTION: Are there any other ships you would look leasing or purchasing?

STEPHEN SMITH: The only suggestion I've made to Dr Fox is that we get our officials together to see whether it might be appropriate for us to lease or buy one of the Bay-class amphibious landing vessels.

…..

QUESTION: Minister, if we were to buy or lease one of these vessels from the UK would that have an impact on the Air Warfare Destroyer program?

STEPHEN SMITH: No, no it's entirely separate. I'm very much looking forward to going with Premier Rann and Dr Fox to the ASC facility to see the work that's being done. Premier Rann referred to the submarines. We have as a government given a commitment that the new submarines, the 12 submarines will be assembled in South Australia.

We are a very long way from concluding all of the details of that project, indeed we are very much at the initial stages. But the point that Premier Rann made about the investment the South Australian Government and the South Australia State has made into testing facilities and defence industry facilities in South Australia does make South Australia a very important part of our defence industry in Australia.

…..

STEPHEN SMITH: Okay, thanks very much everyone. Thank you.

TBM-Legend
25th Jan 2011, 01:52
so how much 'air' can you operate off a Bay Class LPD?

Buster Hyman
25th Jan 2011, 02:30
So what might it be?
I was hoping for the Mary Rose...

diginagain
25th Jan 2011, 16:37
so how much 'air' can you operate off a Bay Class LPD?

Some sources suggest you can operate two cabs of the Merlin/CH47/Osprey size.

But there's plenty of space for entertaining.

draken55
25th Jan 2011, 17:03
RFA Largs Bay would have a connection to Oz given that the town of Largs was the birthplace of Sir Thomas Brisbane after whom the City was named:O

Off thread I know but:ok:

Biggus
25th Jan 2011, 17:12
There's a city in Oz called "Thomas"?

Never heard of it!!!