PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Contract

Burgundy - Ron
23rd Jan 2011, 09:44
What happens to you guys at FR when you come to the end of your 5 year Brookfield contract?

D O Guerrero
23rd Jan 2011, 11:21
Good question - Despite having one, I have no idea what happens at the end. Anyone actually been in that position?

bfisk
23rd Jan 2011, 14:48
Normally, a "5 year contract" between one person and an organization would de facto constitute employment and as such the person would have the right to remain in his position, if it is in fact meant to be permanent (ie if the need for a person is still there, you can't be fired only to be replaced by the "lowest bidder"). This is at least true in Norway, and I suppose it would more or less apply to the rest of the civilized world.

If it's honored, however, is another thing...

nick14
23rd Jan 2011, 16:50
I'd imagin they will be on the upgrade or have left and so the 5 year contract never expires it is replaced by the command contract.

My guess anyway

skyflyer737
23rd Jan 2011, 18:25
It reverts to the new Brookfield contract (if you choose to sign it) with the Irish company setup etc. There is no adjustment to existing contracts when you get your command. You just get paid at the command rate instead of FO.

D O Guerrero
23rd Jan 2011, 21:43
So your pay stays at the rate on your contract (it has reduced since I signed mine as I understand), yet you are required to pay the costs of moving your affairs to Ireland, wind down your limited company etc (which you set up at their behest) and then pay some guy you've never heard of 3% of your wages in order for your tax affairs to be badly handled? Would that be the jist of it?

zerotohero
23rd Jan 2011, 22:54
From what I hear from guys who upgraded recently, you stay on your current contract as it is, so the older BRK guys like me get there captain hourly rate which is currently higher than the new contract rate been offered.

once the 5 years is up, well I have not heard of anyone that has expired there 5 year BRK as yet as most guys I fly with that have been here more than 4 years are on FR contracts.

I guess the BRK thing is all still a bit new on a mass scale, will have to see what develops.

I can say that if mine expires in another (2 years) that will be after been in the left seat (should I choose) for about 18months, if I am expected to suddenly chop my wages and loose the 3% to a random mafia accountant and then pay tax in Ireland (somewhere I have been twice in my life for about 8hrs total) I will be out the door as soon as I can!

And you can take that to the bank!

d105
23rd Jan 2011, 23:20
I know a guy on Brookfield contract coming up to his 5 years and not in the Irish mafia system. I'll have a chat with him and report back.

McBruce
24th Jan 2011, 00:35
zero, pretty much the same here. if they were to change my contract to the irish system, then i'm offski at the first opportunity.

As for reaching the 5 years, it just continues rolling. They don't change it or enforce another one. You always hear a lot about BRK doing this/that, but in reality, its all rumour. If they changed contracts, or made guys sign new contracts on CU, or base change, or the new contract to change base etc etc, then you would hear about it. It's all rumour and they pretty much leave you alone but you can never say never. If they wanted to enforce change then I think they've missed their window of opportunity as the market starts to swing towards the workforce.

Fly4Fun
24th Jan 2011, 10:25
Aren't you allowed to setup your own limited company on any other country besides Ireland?
What is the tax rate that you have to pay, apart the 3% for the "handling affairs", if have your company in Ireland but work on an European base?
Is it possible for new joiners to get a desired base in Europe? To many questions, I know, but I'm a bit curious, since a collegue had a chat with one of your base managers two days ago and he told him that are still chance to get in as DEC.

nick14
24th Jan 2011, 10:29
Nope,

All new entrants are forced to setup in Ireland with one of the four accounting firms. I think the basic rate is 22%, then 41% above 3,333 euro/ month. As a captain I guess you would be paying 41%tax most of the year.

The likelyhood of getting where you want in Europe is low. Most new commands are being offered the Canaries, some people moved from Marseille went to Kaunas.

You are sent where there is space and dont get a choice, thats the way it is....:yuk:

Fly4Fun
24th Jan 2011, 11:08
Thanks nick. :ok: