PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice with my training

FLYER20
22nd Jan 2011, 23:37
Hello Guys and Girls!
Im new to the forum. I am currently doing my atpl's with a uk flight school.Back in my country,we have to do military service which is approximately 9 months. I have a question,any answer will be great... Do you think after completing my atpl exams,i should get the military service out of the way,and then do my CPL/ME/IR training or just complete it now after my exams? I have heard that airlines and potential employers like pilots to be current in the last 6 months or straight out of flight school. If i finish my fATPL and then join the army i will be about 12 months non current...what do you guys think?:ok:

giggitygiggity
23rd Jan 2011, 00:19
I believe you will need to complete the CPL/ME/IR within 36 months of passing your ATPL exams to gain an fATPL so bear this in mind. It would have possibly been better to get the millitary service out of the way before beginning the ground school phase. It really depends on how quickly you will be able to complete the ratings.

On the flipside, you don't want the ratings to lapse so it may be beneficial to wait until you have done the millitary service before you commence the training, otherwise you will need to spend extra money keeping them current. I am no expert, but the airlines will probably like the recent flying experience, but as I said before, you need to keep the ratings current if you want a shot at a job.

FLYER20
23rd Jan 2011, 09:14
Thankyou for your reply!
I am aware that i have to complete my CPL/IR in 36 months after the exams.But the military is only 9 months and fortunatelly i have the funds to complete my training,once im done...Thankyou again:)

giggitygiggity
25th Jan 2011, 02:21
If you have the funds available to start your training after you finish your military service, do it then if it is still in the 36 months time period. Good luck!