PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada 859 return to LHR 22 Jan 2011

Orvilles dad
22nd Jan 2011, 23:06
I was on the 6:25p.m. A.C. 859 767 flight on the 22nd January.

We took off normally but after about 10 minutes, the aircraft started a very violent yawing motion to the left and right. This went on for quite some time until the crew were able to slow it down and eventually stop the yawing.

The Captain then came on and said that we were returning to LHR.

As luck would have it, the aircraft had few passengers so he came straight in and banged it down.

Obviously its too early to know what happened but my impression when it was happening was a problem with the rudder actuators (do 767's have them) - clearly the rudder was not under full control throughout this episode.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jan 2011, 19:24
"...banged it down."

..As you do!

sevenstrokeroll
23rd Jan 2011, 19:26
Orville's dad...aren't you the one who said: if God had intended man to fly, HE would have given him wings?

anyway, perhaps there was an engine problem

perhaps there was a very berzerk yaw damper

but it seems to me that there are 3 rudder actuators (not sure mind you)...unlikely all would go nuts

my money is on the engine

good luck

Orvilles dad
23rd Jan 2011, 20:25
" banged it down " because, I guess, he was loaded for a transatlantic flight but had only flown for 30 minutes or so anddid not circle to burn off fuel so must have been pretty heavy when he landed.
OD

Chuchinchow
23rd Jan 2011, 20:31
he was loaded for a transatlantic flight but had only flown for 30 minutes or so anddid not circle to burn off fuel so must have been pretty heavy when he landed.

Oh dear.

Is that a cue for a link to the EasyJet argument in the adjacent thread? I sincerely hope not!