View Full Version : Flight Levels

thomas888b
21st Jan 2011, 19:07
Hi, I'm designing a level for a radar game. I really don't want to seem like a complete idiot when putting my level forward, so i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I would like to know between what heights commercial jets usually fly at, and what heights do military jets usually fly at?
Thanks,
Tom

chiglet
21st Jan 2011, 23:24
Hi thomas,
Manch to London Heathrow FL190 for a B737 or A320 [Level capped]
Manch to JFK FL290-370 depending on NAT Track etc
Usually FL250-390 for a Jet, and 150-250 for a Turboprop.
Mil fly from FL000 to FL whatever.
Also look at AIS.org that gives you all the airways, with cruising levels in the UK. [May have a slightly different name now, but it's free to join, as is the Met Office Aviation site]
Hope this helps :ok:

Tarq57
22nd Jan 2011, 00:08
The longer the duration of the flight, then (generally) the higher the jet airliner will aim to cruise, up to it's ceiling, which is typically around FL350-FL410, depending on the type. For a flight of about 1/2 an hour, a short range jet (B733/A320 etc) would be likely to cruise at around FL260. For an hour, about FL370. Further than that, as high as it will go. Heavier 4 engined long range aircraft (Like an A343) might take quite a long time to achieve final cruising level, and will usually level off initially a couple of levels below the final level for an hour or so. That allows enough fuel (weight) to be burned off that the thing might stand a chance of climbing.

During the descent/approach/landing phase, allow an angle of about 3 nautical miles per thousand feet, with the speed decreasing as altitude is lost.

On departure, climb rate will be anything from 1500fpm to around 4000fpm, depending on type, weather, loading etc. Initial departure airspeed will be about 160kt, accelerating to around 320kt above 10000ft.

windypops
28th Jan 2011, 20:54
and don't forget some of the corporate jet folk can go higher than the commercial jets.

welliewanger
29th Jan 2011, 13:11
As windy says. Things like Globals, G4 and G5 generally start the day around FL410 and creep up to FL450 - 460, the ceiling is FL510, something to do with being the edge of space. To get up to FL510 you need to be very light and slow down a little (at least you do in the GLEX, dunno about Gulfstream) It says a helluva lot of fuel.

From an ATC point of view (particularly in the USA) being this high enables them to issue "direct" clearances because there's no one else up there. This means that you don't have to follow any airways. Usually waypoints are separated by a max of 150 miles, on a recent trip from Vegas to Anchorage we went for just over 2 hours between waypoints because we had been cleared direct.

thomas888b
2nd May 2011, 19:34
Thanks guys, my level was appreciated. :-)