PDA

View Full Version : US school or Europe?

GeorgeS7
20th Jan 2011, 23:23
I was doing research on Adventia in Spain and was looking at going there. From what I hear there is less of an abundance of pilots in the EU and therefore alot more probable I would have a job getting out of school there. Not only that but the school is sponsored by the Spanish airlines. I am also considering Embry Riddle here in the US, it was my first choice before my mother suggested looking into European flight schools. Although people tell me that there are so many pilots here in the US it's pretty rough finding a job right out of college. Also if i ever decided to move to Europe after studying here I would have to convert FAA to JAA and all. What's someones opinion on this?! Where to study? US or EU?

Whirlygig
21st Jan 2011, 06:37
From what I hear there is less of an abundance of pilots in the EUI'm afraid you hear wrong.

Also if i ever decided to move to Europe after studyingAre you an EU citizen? If not, it's not as simple as that. If you don't have the right to live and work in Europe, there is little point in getting a JAA licence.

Cheers

Whirls

GeorgeS7
21st Jan 2011, 16:19
I currently have dual citizenship, born in USA with Spanish parents and so I have both passports, I'm just unsure of where I should study.

zondaracer
21st Jan 2011, 23:23
I see you are in Florida. There are some schools in Florida that will get you both your FAA and JAA licenses (the JAA IR still has to be done in Europe but at reduced hours if you have a FAA IR). If you only got FAA ratings now, you would have to do the conversion in the future, if you decided to move to Europe and believe me, the conversion is a pain in the backside. Since you have dual citizenship, getting both FAA and JAA would open some doors/options for you.

As far as doing your JAA in Spain, I would recommend you only consider it for your IR or if the school will get you a license outside of Spain's DGCA (Spanish CAA/FAAequivalent). The Spanish DGCA is notoriously slow and they have additional restrictions currently to some licenses that just become a nuisance. Even though I live in Spain, I fly to the UK occasionally so that I can deal with the UK CAA instead. In Jerez, there is a UK FTO called FTE, so if you are determined to get your JAA ratings in Spain, it is possible without dealing with the DGCA.