PDA

View Full Version : Low Cost Airlines & Applause

Captivep
20th Jan 2011, 17:09
Among the things I don't understand about flying on MOL's mob (including understanding what a last AND final call is) is why most of the passengers applaud when the flippin' thing lands.

Anybody got any ideas?

squeaker
20th Jan 2011, 17:20
Think it is an Irish thing rather than a Ryanair thing. Happens a lot on the charter flights we do from DUB.
As long as they're happy, why not?
Better than the whingeing miseries you get bleating about compensation when you land 20 mins late at LGW...

dada
20th Jan 2011, 19:35
Well all the flights i've been on aint had any of your oyrish onboard so it aint just that. i think you'll find its a class issue - has anyone who has ever travelled in first ever applauded? i doubt it. they would of course appllaud the service but thats in a different context.

nivsy
20th Jan 2011, 19:49
Last time I flew BMI in December we all applauded when landed - with relief we all actually actually reached our destination after being mucked around for 6 hours on the ground including aircraft change and a bunch of excuses for a 55 min flight!:ugh:

DB6
20th Jan 2011, 20:06
On Pikeyair most of them probably think they're watching - or better, taking part in - a reality TV show. It's certainly what they aspire to.

easyflyer83
20th Jan 2011, 20:27
1) It's a cultural thing. MAN-SOF for instance, many of the Bulgarian passengers will applaud.

2) Not as much these days but it happens a lot on leisure flights. It's not necassarilly a class thing nor appreciation deirected towards the pilots. It's because people are going on holiday....they're happy and cheerful. It very rarely happens on the inbound sector. Go figure.

There is an awful lot of snobbery when it comes to this. As crew, it makes me smile and usually means that pax are in a good mood which by default means they have had a good flight. It harms no one.

Avitor
20th Jan 2011, 20:36
1) It's a cultural thing. MAN-SOF for instance, many of the Bulgarian passengers will applaud.

2) Not as much these days but it happens a lot on leisure flights. It's not necassarilly a class thing nor appreciation deirected towards the pilots. It's because people are going on holiday....they're happy and cheerful. It very rarely happens on the inbound sector. Go figure.

There is an awful lot of snobbery when it comes to this. As crew, it makes me smile and usually means that pax are in a good mood which by default means they have had a good flight. It harms no one.

Applaud. I never do it but, I think you have the answer here.

rudolf
20th Jan 2011, 22:04
I always applaud when I land and I sit at the front.

:hmm:

Octopussy2
21st Jan 2011, 08:39
Have only ever applauded once, and that was because the pilots bluddy deserved it! Landing at LGW in a nasty storm in October 2001, we were warned the approach would be nasty, it was, but they got us down. Topped off by an announcement from the flight deck: ''And the aircraft behind us" he said triumphantly "has gone around!"

Cue applause from a very happy and relieved planeload of pax.

Pontius Navigator
21st Jan 2011, 09:06
Have only ever applauded once, and that was because the pilots bluddy deserved it! Landing at LGW in a nasty storm in October 2001, we were warned the approach would be nasty, it was, but they got us down. Topped off by an announcement from the flight deck: ''And the aircraft behind us" he said triumphantly "has gone around!"

Cue applause from a very happy and relieved planeload of pax.

I read this and the only thing I could think of was 'oh sh1t.'

Remember, there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old, bold pilots.

We regularly landed with 200 ft minimums and the airfield not in sight at one mile. We had confidence in our Captain and a particularly well lit and distinctive petrol station in an otherwise unlit countryside. Provided we flew over it at the right height and right direction we would be lined up for landing.

OTOH if conditions were also grobbly with crosswinds, rain and turbulence we knew he would always opt to divert.

With an unknown airline captain I would be distinctly unimpressed.

Hotel Tango
21st Jan 2011, 09:09
Used to be a very common thing with Germans on charter flights up until about 5-8years ago or so. I think that with the advent of LCCs many passengers in some countries (such as Germany) fly a great deal more often than they used to and now view flying in the same way as they do travelling by bus or train.

Load Toad
21st Jan 2011, 09:29
I've always considered the safe landing as part of the deal. So I don't clap.

Nicholas49
21st Jan 2011, 11:19
From my experience, it is also common on flights into Italy, regardless of the airline. It is not a 'low-cost airline' thing.

Italians are very superstitious. I once sat next to an Italian guy who was crossing himself as we came into land. :)

Octopussy2
21st Jan 2011, 14:25
Pontius I don't think our guy was particularly gung-ho; it just happened that in these difficult circumstances he had got his approach right the first time round, whereas the chap behind wasn't so fortunate and sensibly decided to have another go.

I'm a pretty nervous passenger, I'm the last person to be impressed by someone taking unnecessary risks.

geordiejet
21st Jan 2011, 15:02
It's just a cultural thing. Like certain group(s) asking for a free glass of water*, or constantly going to the toilet to was hands*. Certain groups have their own little ways onboard an aircraft - and clapping after landing is one of them.

Only time I've had it on a flight to the UK, with about 95% British people onboard was a landing during very high winds. Could hear a pin drop during the approach but just after touchdown the whole cabin clapped.

I've noticed a few times people are very unhappy about people clapping after landing - but it's just one of those things. It happens. I don't really have an opinion on it.

;I know they're not clapping at me as a flight attendant but it makes me smile maybe it's a way of thanking the flight crew who (90% of the time they never see) as us mere flight attendants normally get a "thanks" when getting off the plane - unless an ignorent pax can't even show us the common courtesy of saying "thanks", "bye" or something along those lines.

*Before the cries of "racist" come - I am in no way, shape or form implying that these traits are unwelcome or inappropriate and are simply an observation.

Hotel Tango
21st Jan 2011, 15:40
It always used to amuse me as to why they didn't at least wait until we'd slowed down and turned off the runway before clapping. I had this vision of 180 happy pax clapping as we ran off the end of the runway!

Pontius Navigator
21st Jan 2011, 20:43
Pontius I don't think our guy was particularly gung-ho; it just happened that in these difficult circumstances he had got his approach right the first time round, .

There is that.

wowzz
21st Jan 2011, 21:53
Rudolf - please can I fly with you. I love your approach !!

Escape Path
22nd Jan 2011, 03:18
I always applaud when I land and I sit at the front.

I do only if it's a greaser. And being a F/O, where the captain's landing, no matter how hard it was! :E

It always used to amuse me as to why they didn't at least wait until we'd slowed down and turned off the runway before clapping. I had this vision of 180 happy pax clapping as we ran off the end of the runway!

You just reminded me of my mum who always feels relieved when the gear is barely on the ground. I've told her "not yet, you still have to slow down, you know?"

I recall a stand-up comedian who disliked when people clapped when they landed and said: "We were supposed to land!!! So, what? Do you boo if we crash into a cornfield???!!!"

It's not a LCC thing though, I've seen it on legacy carriers as well, albeit when it's a holiday destination we are landing at or there was nasty weather while approaching

IceKitty
22nd Jan 2011, 07:24
I've been bemused by quite a few flights with applauses on takeoffs & landings when travelling some years ago in er, "developing" countries. The applauding may have been due to the novelty of airline travel for the locals; technically difficult airstrips – e.g. STOL in Nepal; or lower quality aircraft e.g. ex Aeroflot in China - all cases where there were perceived or real increased risk factors.

Anyway, why not show some appreciation for the crew!:D

Chuchinchow
22nd Jan 2011, 13:09
FWIW, the passengers on nearly every LY flight, landing at LLBG, applauded as soon as the wheels hit the tarmac.

Whether this was an expression of joy on arriving in the Holy Land or one of relief remains unknown!

FlapJackMuncher
23rd Jan 2011, 18:28
If I'm flying with my wife and/or children I make a point of clapping, especially if noone else joins in.
I love the look of embarassment on their clenched faces.