View Full Version : Creating back-up disks for Sony VPCL1 series

Chuchinchow
20th Jan 2011, 10:34
I have just bought a Sony VPCL1 series computer - so far, so good.

My problem is one of pure ignorance and - I suspect - an incipient senior moment: the literature accompanying my purchase urges me to prepare recovery media. The pamphlet warns against using Blu-ray Disc media, DVD-RAM, CD-R or CD-RW discs as recovery media.

My question is: just what sort of disks should I trot off to the store and buy, please?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MacBoero
20th Jan 2011, 12:19
Your lists seems to exclude everything except DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. SO I'm guessing they are steering you towards the fact that the original media was DVD, and therefore you'll need DVD-R or DVD+R to re-create them.

DVD-RW has been excluded by your list, and I'm assuming that DVD+RW should be excluded too. In my experience they are not good for creating bootable DVDs from. Whether DVD-R or DVD+R is the preferred choice is really down to the actual drive fitted to the machine. Nowadays though it rarely matters, as most new drives will use either.

DVD-RAM can't be used because it a random access media, and works a bit like a giant floppy disc. They are also awfully slow, so even it were possible, you wouldn't want to.