PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue plane 'fell through the cracks'

PPRuNeUser0198
20th Jan 2011, 10:01
VIRGIN Blue was aware of a 737 fault a month before a plane's landing gear broke touching down at Melbourne Airport, a final report by the

Australian Transport Safety Bureau has revealed (ATSB).
When flight DJ208 from Adelaide touched down on October 20, 2009 the crew noticed that the plane was pulling to the right, requiring excessive thrust from the engine.

An examination found that a landing gear wheel was positioned at an unusual angle.

Further checks revealed that the inner wheel hub and bearing mount had broken away from the wheel assembly due to fatigue cracking.

The ATSB's final report into the incident has revealed that the airline, as well as the aircraft and wheel manufacturers, were aware the wheel had a design fault.

A service letter had been issued a month before the incident advising the airline that wheel halves “with a history of fatigue cracks in the transition between the bearing bore and thrust shoulder radius” should be inspected.

However at the time there was no requirement for mandatory inspection of the area during a tyre change. The airline also faced logistical issues, so the jet was not checked.

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) federal secretary Steve Purvinas said the incident – which came just months after a nosewheel fell off a Virgin plane at Melbourne – posed an unacceptable risk to travellers.

"It's fortunate that (the) incident did not result in any serious injury but it demonstrates the urgent need for safety inspections across all Virgin's planes," Mr Purvinas said.

The wheel manufacturer first became aware of the issue in 2008 when it received reports of hub fractures and cracking on the inboard wheel halves, and was in the process of reviewing and making changes to their own maintenance schedules at the time of the Virgin incident.

Key changes involved the use of ultrasonic testing and a design change to the affected area.

The ATSB has concluded that the decision not to introduce the ultrasonic inspection at the time was “reasonable”.

“The last opportunity to detect the cracking before it resulted in wheel failure was during the 23rd tyre change on 14 September 2009,” the ATSB report said.

“While that occurred some four weeks after receipt of the service letter, the logistics involved in sourcing the necessary test equipment and training operators meant that the technique was not yet brought to an operational status at the time of that last tyre change.”

A fleet-wide inspection was undertaken by Virgin Blue immediately after the occurrence, with ten wheels potentially at risk of a similar failure removed from service.

As a result of the occurrence, the airline also performed a review of its engineering change evaluation procedure which resulted in changes to the process flow chart to include additional steps and a more structured risk assessment.

It has altered its wheel inspection procedure to include ultrasonic inspections.
Virgin Blue has been contacted for comment. However, at the time an airline spokesman said that they were advised by the wheel manufacturer that the issue was a "rare occurrence".news.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/virgin-blue-plane-fell-through-the-cracks/story-e6frfq80-1225991746435)

VBPCGUY
20th Jan 2011, 18:47
So Mr Purvinas, are you saying VB is dangerous airline or have they followed ATSB recommendations themselves and your statement is flawed???

ampclamp
20th Jan 2011, 19:08
SP is not the problem.Think about it.
It seems they knew about the potential of a problem and did not have the training/equipment in place to do anything about it.No excuse when you see what followed.
questions...
1/ Is that equipment available elsewhere in the country, if so why not use it?
2/ How could they have found the time and spares to replace 10 other suspect wheels only after the mishap?

AnQrKa
20th Jan 2011, 22:35
I think the fleet should be grounded until the issue is resolved.

Or should we wait until easter?

ernestkgann
20th Jan 2011, 22:47
The cracks in the 'old' VB safety systems were more like chasms.

apache
20th Jan 2011, 23:49
Surely it must be time for some uninformed idiot to blame the Kiwis?

27/09
21st Jan 2011, 02:32
Or should we wait until easter?:D

What could you be possibly suggesting?

ozbiggles
21st Jan 2011, 02:36
Well the Kiwi's are at least 14.999999% to blame now

ALAEA Fed Sec
21st Jan 2011, 03:17
My comments were made the day after this happened, not after the ATSB report. I called for a fleet wide inspection. Virgin carried it out. There have been no further issues since. The inspections that I said should happen and did happen have been endorsed by the ATSB. What's your problem vbpcguy? How is my statement in any way flawed?

Gas Bags
21st Jan 2011, 03:59
Steve, I guess it is only ok when the slavvering masses of the media are chowing down on the fat QF feast.

But seriously, it must be the fault of the kiwis...you know they cant be trusted!!!

VBPCGUY
21st Jan 2011, 05:33
My comments were made the day after this happened, not after the ATSB report. I called for a fleet wide inspection. Virgin carried it out. There have been no further issues since. The inspections that I said should happen and did happen have been endorsed by the ATSB. What's your problem vbpcguy? How is my statement in any way flawed?

No Im going to take it back because I thought your comments were taken during this interview thats fine, apologies.

Sunfish
21st Jan 2011, 16:00
You don't just install "ultrasonic testing" like you buy a flat panel TV.

You first have to work out what gear your require, probably have to order it from the manufacturer. Then you need to buy or manufacture the pickup (or multiple pickups) required, which will probably have to be manufactured to fit the particular wheel assembly and the exact location to test. The wheel manufacturer will have most of the designs I expect.

Then there is the little matter of test specimens and suchlike that the manufacturer has had to develop to prove that the test equipment can reliably detect cracks in the affected area - and detect them at a size such that they cannot become critical before the next inspection. Work out frequencies, thresholds, testing techniques and document the inspection method, etc.

Then train and certify about Six or more operators, assemble the required documentation for CASA, etc., install all the gear on your wheel build/tyre change line and voila! Jobs done!

SRM
21st Jan 2011, 23:15
Correct me if I am wrong but VB do not repair there own wheels. The repair shop overhaul the wheels IAW manufactures proceedures, approved by CASA and audited by VB.

Unless a CASA AD or VB call up an inspection whilst the wheel hub is fitted the a/c, VB has complied with its SOM.
System works so whats the problem.:ok:

gobbledock
21st Jan 2011, 23:33
Or should we wait until easter?
How naughty.
Perhaps Easter and then again at Christmas !