PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma: ATP vs. PEA?

#1-Stunna
20th Jan 2011, 01:46
I'm a Jamaican wannabe pilot, I've decided to do my training in the US. Florida in particular, since I have family there, I'd prefer to be closer to them. I've been accepted to do Aviation Management w/ Flight at the Florida Institute of Technology, scholarship and everything, but I really don't want to do 4 more years of school, or spend so much money to attend college. The research I have done suggests that Phoenix East Aviation Academy and ATP Flight School are the two best flight schools in Florida. The prices are basically the same, ATP gives you a little bit more hours, but thats because they give you like 50 hours FTD time. Could someone who has more knowledge in the area than me tell me which would be the better choice?

B2N2
20th Jan 2011, 17:40
Phoenix East Aviation Academy and ATP Flight School are the two best flight schools in Florida

I respectfully disagree with that statement.
ATP is known to be a cookie-cutter kinda place.
Stamp stamp stamp stamp..4 students done.
You get your ratings but don't demand quality.
Here's some reading about them;
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-training/10688-atp-flight-training-school.html
Heard mixed reviews about PEA also.

jackcarls0n
20th Jan 2011, 18:22
PEA, I have been there, the quality is good I would say, but be sure, it charges you money for ridiculous stuff. Besides, you might end up doing additional hours or flights so do have 20-30% extra for that.

But its a good professional environment. Also, since the school is located on the north side, you end up losing a lot of time on taxi and waiting to get a clearance. If the visa is not a problem, then taking up american fliers or something on the south side is great.

but id say Florida tech is a much better option, given you have the scholarshp plus u can fly at a regular flight school slowly and get it done under far 61 which ends up to be much cheaper.

PIELORD
20th Jan 2011, 18:37
I concur with the last poster. If you do not require the visa through PEA, then American Flyers should work out to be much cheaper. However PEA is very good quality, but expensive.....less than FSA ,DCA, and ERAU but not many others!!!

Some friends of mine have/ are still training at Epic, which is a similar but smaller setup to PEA. They recieved a very a large discount for paying in advance and the simulator rates are very, very reasonable.

However paying in advance does pose CONSIDERABLE risks whatever the age and reputation of the school.

jackcarls0n
21st Jan 2011, 06:59
True PEA is very expensive. The the cost for my PPL was suppose to be $6,000 but I ended up paying $10,500. Plus the cost kept increasing.

Id go for Epic if I could, also they is another option at Jacksonville, Sterling Flight training but they cannot issue visa any more.

Id suggest a smaller school that can issue a Visa and is a small setup which will be less cost, plus an airport where the traffic is less. for practise you can always fly to daytona for ILS 7 Left.

But PEA, i did an analysis and at times in a 60 mins flight, i would lose about 20-25 mins on taxi alone. That was a waste of time and money.

Not sure about ATP. I would take a school with good instructor then the setup. PEA has instructor which have few hours.

Good luck mate!