PDA

View Full Version : Best job in the helicopter business?

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 18:01
We hear so much gloom and doom about the aviation business these days. As a change, what do helicopter folk aspire to? What do they see as the pinnacle of success in the rotary world?

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2011, 18:11
Best job in the helicopter world? Probably someone else's ...

In my own little fantasy world which I inhabit, I'd like to be a police pilot but also accept that I am unlikely to ever amass the hours, experience or skill to do such a job.

So, failing that, a job that offers variety; a bit of instructing, charter, filming.

Cheers

Whirls

Capt.Gonzo
19th Jan 2011, 18:15
Hi difficult question!

I think You always want to have what you do not have. There is no "perfect" Job.

There is a saying in Germany:

The meadows on the other side of the fence are always greener.

I hope it makes sence in English

Fly save!

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 18:25
Yes, it makes sense, we have almost the same saying "The grass is always greener".

(But grass is often greener only due the amount of bullshiŁ over the fence). ;)

TwinHueyMan
19th Jan 2011, 18:40
Without a doubt it'd have to be working for Dom over at Santini Air. I worked there in the 80's and had a blast.

-String

GGR
19th Jan 2011, 18:51
(But grass is often greener only due the amount of bullshiŁ over the fence).

And needs cutting 3 times more than yours.......

GGR

Flingwing47
19th Jan 2011, 18:54
Flying an S61N MKII to resorts full of delicious eye candy. Earliest report time 0800. Latest sign off ? 1700. 3 days a week on jet captains pay !!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif

Thud_and_Blunder
19th Jan 2011, 21:34
I can't see much wrong with being a floater pilot, qual on 2 types, covering police, Air Ambo and lighthouse support duties. Pay's good, customers are universally brill and I get to live somewhere I like. Oh, and I don't even have to own a car 'cos the company organise a hire vehicle every time I need to go somewhere on business (I live close enough to the town to be able to walk in if I need anything).

Two's in
19th Jan 2011, 21:59
The best job flying helicopters is always one you had previously. It just takes retrospect to realise how good some jobs are - the moral of the story would be to always try to enjoy it while you can.

Heliringer
19th Jan 2011, 22:37
The one with the highest pay and most time off. Still looking:8

Treg
19th Jan 2011, 22:37
As a PJ in the NSCA it was pretty dam near perfect: good machines, good equipment, good jobs and, although I didn't fully appreciate it at the time... fantastic support from management.

Despite the fact he masterminded the biggest fraud in Australia and it eventually ended in tears :}

212man
19th Jan 2011, 22:54
Can't complain about the one I have now.....:ok:

Joker's Wild
19th Jan 2011, 23:34
212man

Strongly agree with you there. :D

Aucky
20th Jan 2011, 00:39
AS350B3 in the mountains somewhere, doing some rescue, a little construction, some heliski drops and ski/snowboard/nature back country movie filming. And the chance to do outdoor sports on the days off. If only carlsberg did helicopter jobs..... Sign me up :ok: Am I the only one? I can wait for the multi pilot IFR roles until I get the need for variety out my system.

any offers? :}

oryxs
20th Jan 2011, 00:45
Ditto on that 212man :D

Epiphany
20th Jan 2011, 03:09
Horses for courses. Having to live in Brunei would be a sentence for me. I prefer 6 months of the year off to enjoy myself in the free world - well away from helicopters. :)

griffothefog
20th Jan 2011, 03:36
Flying the UK's first air ambulance back in the 80's before GPS and bull**** interference from aviation authorities....

We were allowed to just get on with it as we were treading new ground and I made many life long friends of the paramedics and crews involved...

And the real cherry on the top...... It was in god's country... Cornwall :ok:

What Limits
20th Jan 2011, 15:37
Retirement

Having completed a full and varied career where no-one got hurt, a couple of lives got saved and nothing got bent (too much).

handbag
20th Jan 2011, 15:39
PPrune mod??;)

Hummingfrog
20th Jan 2011, 16:02
SAR display pilot - interesting flying one day - next day legally beating up the airfield doing a display practice. This nearly always got the Stn Commander on the phone asking what was going on? :E

HF

Horror box
20th Jan 2011, 16:13
Another one pretty pleased with the job I'm at now. Doesn't get much better. Good pay, good machines, good pension, good maintenance, safe operation with good clear safety culture and management and customers who appreciate this. Of course if they offered to double my pay and let me work half as much, then it would bet better!

wingnut193
20th Jan 2011, 16:34
Right now i'd like any flying job any where

311kph
20th Jan 2011, 17:47
The best job flying helicopters is always one you had previously. It just takes retrospect to realise how good some jobs are - the moral of the story would be to always try to enjoy it while you can.

so far it's just like that

whoateallthepies
21st Jan 2011, 07:11
Best job? Sussex Police/Ambulance. Shame about the pay!

Best for pay/time off? The one I have now. http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/2637784011.jpg

wokkaboy
21st Jan 2011, 08:54
TwinHueyMan (AKA String)

Wondered where you'd got to after all these years! Santini Air took me back to my youth and 'The Lady'...

;)

mtoroshanga
21st Jan 2011, 12:16
We used to do Ship Servicing out of Durban,South Africa in the 70's.That took some beating.

albatross
21st Jan 2011, 12:22
Stuff I loved doing.
UN in Kuwait -Iraq, Somalia, Rwanda.
Fire fighting anywhere - but Southern France was great.
Bird towing.
Film if you had the right people to work with.
F1 Grand Prix TV coverage in Montreal - did it 4 years in a row and loved it.
Laser.
The right mining exploration contract in Northern Canada in the summer - best fishing in the world plus other good things.
Dream job - Offshore Oil exploraion in Bermuda with a S-92 (You'll need a big per diem) LOL.

Epiphany
22nd Jan 2011, 11:10
Do your parents know that you have a Pprune account?

griffothefog
22nd Jan 2011, 12:28
Mitchaa,

Did you know that abject fear can actually interfere with your skill sets? :eek:

311kph
22nd Jan 2011, 14:45
On first glance usual, ordinary, common jobs vastly change when you spice them up with sensation of operating a flying machine.

For example, take a walk in the park.
Now do it with helicopter.

OBX Lifeguard
20th Feb 2011, 01:36
Mine. I'd tell you about it but then you would have to kill me and apply for my job when I'm gone....;)