PDA

View Full Version : Exciter Box for Agusta 109E

Dick Smith
19th Jan 2011, 03:24
I am looking for a spare exciter box for my 109E helicopter. It can either be new or overhauled. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I might be able to purchase one from and what the price may be? Much appreciated.

FSXPilot
19th Jan 2011, 05:54
exciter box is an engine component. What engines have you got fitted to your helicopter? Whoever is the main dealer for your engines will be able to get you one.

Dick Smith
19th Jan 2011, 07:40
It has P&W 206C engines with a Champion brand exciter box.
Part no. Ch92015snclo21484. Anyone else had reliability problems with these boxes ?

drop lead
19th Jan 2011, 10:35
Mr Smith
Firstly may I say you are a legend Sir! RESPECT!
I suggest you should peruse the Champion SB SBCH92106-74-001 which can be found at
http://scorecard.championaerospace.com/Links/SBCH92106-74-001.pdf
it is for PWC 200 SERIES and deals with reliability issues of p/n CH2015 exciter boxes and intoducing p/n CH92106.

Dick Smith
19th Jan 2011, 20:04
Thanks for the info -that explains a lot. Does anyone have a price on a box or know who sells them?

RVDT
20th Jan 2011, 06:54
Er, your local maintenance organisation that maintains your helicopter or do you not trust them with your issue? They are going to have to fit it if your existing one is U/S or will you do it yourself illegally?

Try these people for a source -

Aviall Australia Pty. Ltd.
453 Airport Avenue
Bankstown Airport
Bankstown, New South Wales 2200, Australia
Phone: 61-2-9791-0511
Fax: 61-2-9791-0102
Manager: Glenn Trewin

I would come and fit it for you - let me see

Quotation,

According to Champion 1 hour to complete the SB - AUS 250.00
Paperwork/Certification 20 minutes - AUD 85.00
Travelling - Return business class seat from current location AUD 12,500.00
Rental car from KSA to your location and return AUD 250.00
Travelling time 3 days at AUD 850.00 /day AUD 2550.00
Time on site 1 day (MIN) AUD 1200.00

Total AUD 16,835.00
Customer supplies the parts!

When would you like me to start?

Dick Smith
20th Jan 2011, 20:55
RVDT I like to obtain as much info as I can from a number of different sources. It's worked well for me in the past - one of the reasons I can afford the Agusta.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that there is no mention on the Champion website of Aviall.

Odysseuss
20th Jan 2011, 21:45
Dick,

Could you provide some more information on your reliability problem? How many exciters have you had to replace over how many flying hours/years?

RVDT,

Why is travel time less valuable than time on site?

RVDT
21st Jan 2011, 06:36
Dick,

Top of the list here - Champion distributors - TURBINE Ignition (General) (http://www.championaerospace.com/distributors/)

Odysseuss,

Pretty much standard practice - why? Who knows! Bean counter maybe?

Dick Smith
21st Jan 2011, 08:41
I saw that list but all the no's were US so I naturally thought they were all US Distributors

Not many failures but I had heard there was a pattern and now it is all explained.

All the maintenance people I had spoken to in Australia had not heard of the SB.

So it pays to ask on Rotorheads!

SuperF
21st Jan 2011, 09:20
Hi dick

You should have stuck to the jr and I might have been able to help...

Did you get any flooding down on the farm? Hope none of your aircraft floated away.

tbtstt
21st Jan 2011, 11:29
All the maintenance people I had spoken to in Australia had not heard of the SB.
Tell them to have a look at PW206 SB 28312. It covers the subject of the Champion SB, but includes all the correct Maintenance Document references (the Champion SB only gives the PT6 references).

RVDT
21st Jan 2011, 12:30
Dick,

You can sign up with the PWC Customer Portal and get all the SB info you need.

Just be aware that unfortunately whoever runs the portal doesn't seem to be very familiar with the PWC products and takes great delight in removing you for "lack of recent activity". Also don't forget your password as it can be a process to reset it. They also love hounding you with "customer surveys" but eventually go away if you ignore them.

They are Pratt Canada engines after all and pretty reliable - about the only time you would log in is to check SB status on a yearly basis.

The system is a little frustrating at times and shall we say "Québécois". :zzz:

Dick Smith
23rd Jan 2011, 02:22
Super,fortunately the flooding at Gundaroo did not reach the airstrip or the hanger.

Our bridge got taken away but soon re mounted with the aid of two excavators.

The railway line was covered but no problems for steam. - as no electronics.

By the way, I have just purchased a new Longranger from HP so my Jetranger will be for sale soon, about 1600 hrs.