PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Life

Jane Doe
18th Jan 2011, 09:06
General questions - looking at moving to Hong Kong
Where do the majority of Cathay Pilots live in HK?
Which are the most affordable private schools?
What % of school fees are generally covered?
Does Cathay cover debenture or RCL's?
Which are the most popular English speaking schools? Primary and secondary.
What is the ESF system like?
What does the housing allowance realistically get you?
What is life like out in the New Territories? Is it easy to commute?
What is % of tax realistically paid?

Would appreciate any advice.:)

Mr. Bloggs
18th Jan 2011, 10:53
Brace. Brace. Brace.:eek: The Lads are going to fun with this one.:E

MrClaus
18th Jan 2011, 22:50
I think you need to give more information (within reason of course) if you want a useful answer. For example you will get a different answer for someone who is a 19yr old cadet scrapping by, versus an experienced bizjet captain who has been all around asia on contracts.

boxjockey
20th Jan 2011, 01:37
I guess the first question would be, what terms of service are you joining on, as the company may change them from time to time at their own discretion.....:yuk:

box

arse
20th Jan 2011, 04:05
In hindsight I should not have come.

Actively looking for another option.

Would not recommend it to anyone.

Liam Gallagher
20th Jan 2011, 05:19
The search button tells me you were offered what appeared to be a DEFO position in either Europe or Oz back in Jan 07.

If you have not already had a deep and meaningful conversation with the CX recruiters, I suggest you do so without delay. The world has changed since Jan 07 and one change has been that CX are no longer offering Housing Allowance to new joiners and the Education assistance to new joiners has been modified somewhat.

I think that answers most of your questions except for the final question. The top tax rate in Hk is 16 per cent. The good news is that with no Housing and the tax break for children your tax rate will be even less than 16 per cent. That will be very handy indeed, because on an SO's salary for the first 4 years you won't have much spare cash to pay tax bills, let alone children's shoes and bikini waxes.

If however, you have had a deep and meaningful conversation with the recruiters and they are saying something different, then please do tell as rumors are rife that the International Cadet fiasco is about fall on it's harse!:8

freightdog188
20th Jan 2011, 05:25
Since when is Cathay hiring again? A.f.a.I.k. the only pilots being hired now (especially direct HK) are cadets. With NO housing allowance whatsoever. ...
And then it doesn't matter where most pilots live, coz you can't afford it to live anywhere where pilots normally would live.

geh065
20th Jan 2011, 05:55
A housing allowance for the LEPs and international cadets should be announced fairly soon but of course it will be a far cry from the housing that the company currently pays expats.

SMOC
20th Jan 2011, 07:45
geh065, how did you come by locals getting housing???

If so CX can call them expats and get around their immigration problem.

iMad
20th Jan 2011, 11:07
geh065: Can you elaborate? How do you know LEP housing is gonna be announced soon?

Cpt. Underpants
20th Jan 2011, 12:00
Don't get excited girls.

It will be barely able to rent you a ****ehole in Tuen Mun. $8K.

N1 Vibes
21st Jan 2011, 03:49
Jane,

to answer some of your questions, that need no further info:

Where do the majority of Pilots live - Discovery Bay - cheek-by-jowl. Think Stepford Wives and you get the picture.

What is the ESF systems like - it's a financial machine for producing children with no other ambition in life than to get higher grades. In order to impress the next generation of prospective parents like yourself to enter their children in an ESF school, to keep the cash rolling-in. Many other schools in HKG are basically the same. You need to look off the beaten track for a 'normal' school....

What is life like in the New Territories - nicer than DB. Commuting is pretty good on the bus. Some locations though are over an hour from the airport.

What is % of tax realistically paid - 2%, 7%, 12% + 17%
(GovHK: Tax Rates of Salaries Tax & Personal Assessment (http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxes/taxfiling/taxrates/salariesrates.htm#pr))

Good Luck,

N1 Vibes

arse
21st Jan 2011, 08:41
Dear Jane Doe

As I said, I would look elsewhere; however ....

I think sometime within the next 28 months, Cathay will look to hire Direct Entry First Officers.

Why would I think this?

They are having huge problems getting pilots for the iCadets scheme. 1 in 60 accepted the way below par offer. So what did they do? As part of recent pay negotiations, they have offered an increase in pay for Australian and UK First Officers. The increase was more than the other grades. Perhaps after a short time in OZ or the UK, they will be allowed to move to Hong Kong, without housing, having been conned that the extra pay will be enough to cover housing expenses.

They have a clear message from the Hong Kong courts that they can abuse Second Officer Bypass Conditions.

And once again, .................................... buggered!

SloppyJoe
21st Jan 2011, 12:16
Love the way rumors mutate into the incorrect facts. They are not having trouble finding cadets 25,000+ applications is what I have heard. The 1 accepting out of 60 is apparently those guys who were offered DESO in 2008 and have been kept waiting, they were offered cadet slots but all but 1 rejected the offer.

I expect there will be loads of DEFO slots once the cadets have a rating, some hours and leave to fly at home. You would be mad not too.

hongkongfooey
21st Jan 2011, 21:50
Jane , don't worry about schooling, with the current, constantly increasing, pollution levels ( 30% of the year viz below 8Ks, and most of the year between 200 and 500% above WHO levels ) your kids wil be spending a lot of time at the doctors and/or, god forbid, in hospital. The medical scheme is pretty good so most of it will be covered.

DB ( fantasy island ) is a great place to live, you can drive around in your golf cart looking like you are in the latest model Mercedes ( might as well, they cost the same ), and have a Fillipino lass do everything for your kids, including wiping their bum, for $700USD/month, she might even wipe your bum too but that wil cost a whole hell of a lot more than 700 ( just ask around ).

Tax is great, around 16% average, because especially as an expat, you get nothing for it, no public school ( not that you'd want it ), no medical ( OK, you can sit around the hospital waiting for 6 hours if you have an ID card ), the most congested roads in the world, oh and did I mention the pollution ? They wil get you when/if you buy a property with stamp duty, and then you have to rent the land off the government ( more tax ), but this should'nt worry you either as you will need around $4.5 million hkd to buy a modest 1200sq' apartment ( not in town )

Good luck !

Helmet, check, flak jacket, check.......Incommmmming

Mouwaa
22nd Jan 2011, 01:38
$4.5M to buy 1200sq ft...are you kidding. Even in reasonable parts of DB you are looking $7-8M+ at the moment. oh yeah and 1200' gross is only going to be 1000' net (inside your front door).

Fly747
22nd Jan 2011, 02:16
HKF, that sounds a bit much for a maid, surely it includes a shag at that price?
Capt Toss please advise, things must be desperate now Laguna is shut.

Harbour Dweller
22nd Jan 2011, 03:13
The medical scheme is pretty good so most of it will be covered

Maybe for the employee.

For dependants it's crap. Any serious illness and you'll be past their annual limit pretty quickly.

etrang
22nd Jan 2011, 04:08
As well as Discovery Bay, pilots live in Sai Kung, also Mid Levels, Repulse Bay, and Stanley. Sai Kung would be my choice, especially if you don't have to go to the airport every day.

hongkongfooey
22nd Jan 2011, 04:50
That was 4.5 mil deposit and stamp duty.

5500hkd is normal rate for live out helper.