PDA

View Full Version : ADF Army pilot lifestyle with a family

Fozz
17th Jan 2011, 21:55
Hi All,
hoping to get some insight from current serving or former serving ADF Army pilots on the lifestyle with a family.
My situation: currently serving in the army reserves, been in 6 years. Completed a year full time service last year with a trip to the Middle East. I have a wife and 2 kids, 20 months and 3 years. I completed flight screening late last year and had an email yesterday confirming I am competetive enough to get an offer in 6 weeks with the next distribution.
I have a friend who is an Army pilot but he is single so while his input is appreciated, it's not really the same as having a family to be considerate about.
I am well aware that there is time away from home in the ADF as I spend a fair bit away even as a chocko but I'd like to hear from anyone who can give me an idea on HOW MUCH time you spend away with exercises/training etc in aviation specifically and how you found the defence support network if you had kids.

Thanks in advance,
Fozz

finestkind
18th Jan 2011, 08:15
Fozz,
you should have had all this squared away before you put your application in.

No disrespect but if your having doubts then perhaps its not for you.

Fozz
18th Jan 2011, 19:50
finestkind, I hear what you're saying, it's not something to go into half hearted.
On the flip side, when your application gets lost, left on desks, expires because it wasn't actioned etc and takes over 2 1/2 years, and I'm already in-service, there can be changes in priority when family are concerned....
Although not as exciting (and a lot more expensive), civi flying is an alternative

Airborne Aircrew
18th Jan 2011, 20:30
when your application gets lost, left on desks, expires because it wasn't actioned etc and takes over 2 1/2 years, and I'm already in-service,

That little bit should speak volumes... With the last set of cuts the situation certainly won't improve.

oldpinger
18th Jan 2011, 22:26
Fozz,

Good luck in your application, :ok: At least you're asking the question and making an informed decision as from experience it is extremely irritating to have a trainee come through then realise that the family/wife/girlfriend/significant other don't like it and they leave:ugh:

The reallly annoying thing is they never flat out admit that this is why they want to self scrub!

Best advice, give the Squadrons in Townsville and Darwin a call and talk to the pilots in the crewroom about operational tempo, leave etc.

Another tip, be up front with the other half at all times about likely deployment lengths and possible trips away. Better getting it out in the open early and them being aware of the possibility rather than the "oh, sorry didn't I mention I was going away next week for 3 weeks" :ouch:

Finally as you're probably aware, be prepared to be stuffed around. Accept it, expect it,and embrace it as one of the few downsides of military aviation. You will not then be surprised when your carefully planned holiday gets changed at the last minute.

Have Fun!!

Fozz
19th Jan 2011, 00:12
Thanks oldpinger,
My wife knows the deal with the military lifestyle, I had a last minute trip overseas last year and missed our sons first xmas, missed my mates wedding where I was supposed to be best man, the list goes on.

I'll give the regiments a buzz, I know there's not a whole lot as far as deployments at the moment unless you get pulled over to be a UAV pilot but I assume the training tempo would always be fairly high.

As for getting stuffed around..... your advice is exactly what I tell people looking at getting in, wheels move slowly in an organisation this big!

Thanks again for your input

Wiley
19th Jan 2011, 01:33
I sincerely hope you go for it and give it 101% effort. There are plusses and there are minuses, and if, emotionally, the plusses don't outweigh the minuses for you, you're not cut out for the job.

But tell the better half right now, and tell it to her plainly, that during the training, she's on her own, and any support you might be able to offer her during that period will be minimal in the extreme.

And just as importantly, make it very, very plain to her that for the rest of your time as service aircrew, she can take it as read that you will almost certainly be called away at the very last moment before any planned family commitment. (Birthday, wedding, christinening, annivesary, funeral, kid's concert... you name it.) The more important the family commitment, the higher the chances are you'll be called away. (Don't ask me how that works, it just does.)

Make it an event when you tell her - even video yourself telling her - because, no matter what she says now, she'll be one of the very few, ("The Few"), very special wives if she doesn't bitch and moan about it later.

Fozz
19th Jan 2011, 23:53
Thanks Wiley,
I think between your post and oldpinger, the theme is the same. Nothing I haven't experienced in Sigs with the Army, just thought I'd get an aviation perspective.
thanks again for your post