PDA

View Full Version : Questions to the unemployed pilots in India

vdaff
17th Jan 2011, 13:42
Hi all, I am also one of the unemployed CPL holders in India
Just wanted to see how many of you are here and what you doing now in life

I finished my CPL and all in 2008, sent CVs to every Operators in India and many others around the world but no luck till today. But still trying and trying.:(

I just joined as a supervisor in a departmental store few months back now earning around 9000 rupees (around 200 dollars a month):mad:Spent around 50000 dollars for my pilot trainings. I also realized that I made a big mistake of not going for a degree first, a CPL is really worthless if its not a flying job. At least i would have been getting a decent salary if i had a Degree.

I can also feel the lack of respect by my friends, relatives who studied with me at school and now earning much more than me in Engineering, Management Jobs.Also few of my friends who did CPL with me and got lucky to get a flying job have settled in life at 22 years old. They are even getting ready for their marriage! My parents have been supportive from the start and still have hopes that i can make it as a pilot one but if i stay like this for more years, i know that hope will fade away.

Now i am going to start my management degree in correspondence because i understood that CPL is not going to get me to the next level if i dont have a pilot job at least that degree will save me in the future. So to anyone who planning to start flying training, my advise is that get a degree first then go for flying because it is a life saver.

So how is your life going with a CPL but without a flying job...

superdunkaroos
18th Jan 2011, 03:37
and so you decided to spend more money to get another license?
:hmm:

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/423013-looking-good-flight-school-south-africa.html

VT-ASB
18th Jan 2011, 05:59
dont get disheartened mate,
I agree its been tough.

fill up the jet airways form and start preparing, hopefully there will be more openings in other airlines too this year.
and yes, getting a degree is a wise thing to do.

koolchaos3188
18th Jan 2011, 06:07
@VT-ASB- hey any idea for pilots rated on A320, any scope for them?

cyrilroy21
18th Jan 2011, 06:15
@vdaff

Have you applied for the Jet airways trainee first officer or the Indigo self sponsored A320 program ?

VT-ASB
18th Jan 2011, 08:46
sorry mate, no idea,
but if you are already rated on an a320, I suggest you start knocking doors and try pulling some strings.

estranged soul
18th Jan 2011, 10:52
... T R O L L !!!

cyrilroy21
18th Jan 2011, 14:43
Aviation is always about luck of the draw...

I know guys who graduated in 2009 and were taken in By Jet airways during the august 2010 recruitment and have now finished their type rating

Air India has also been hiring candidates from IGRUA without giving a chance to those numerous CPL holders who are more experienced out there :ugh:

You could also try and get into the other departments in the airlines like Cabin Crew or customer service agents etc.

Jet airways is recruiting people as an " Operations Assistant " for their flight operations department ( given on their website )

Getting a foot in the door might also help you down the line for applying a position as a pilot.
In the meantime keep up with your aviation knowledge and also keep your licenses and medical current .

You should also consider passing your ATPL papers in the meantime as it will make you look good on your resume'

Qatar airways is rumored to be taking in applications for their second officer positions . But you should have already passed your ATPL papers
( aka frozen atpl ) . They might not accept FAA ATP written though . But they will accept any other aviation authority ATPL written even Indian DGCA.

Cheerup Buddy atleast you are better off than this guy :hmm:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/439065-jonas-mongenot-wopjet-gptc.html

jahaj_crash
18th Jan 2011, 16:44
I can relate to your stress mate... It would have been wise to have pursued a degree all along..and while you are at it make sure u have a good one from a respectable place...its beats you down to see your supportive folks dreams not taking wings along with your own...and yet not one ill word is spoken of.... But its a good motivator. Take it all...and beat the hell out of those books.....keep doing it till u have made it......never give urself a chance to wonder what If i had put in that extra hour reading that topic in detail..... Job are coming for sure...hell it might even rain jobs..........But dont let ur guard down.... and DONT waste time finding / wondering about those JUGADS... face it u dont have one...... CPL wont get u a job.... U & UR Spirit will.....remain current and Survive yourself..... believe me people have been through worse and yet made it up there!!...(not me though..in case u r wondering :p).... Quitters Never win & Winners never Quit!! GOOD LUCK to you ALL!

koolchaos3188
18th Jan 2011, 17:08
@ jahaj_crash - agree with you buddy, airlines opening up and our economy is rising at a good pace and purchasing power of the people to increasing, its a matter of time, industry is opening up so people with "JUGAAD" getting in and when industry would need more in the coming years they would have to take others too :)
so guys study hard, don't loose hope and keep an attitude of never giving up.
That's the key...
Happy Landings:):):)

Viraaj Shah
18th Jan 2011, 17:36
BSc in Aviation - how far does this degree help you in getting a non aviation related job?

estranged soul
19th Jan 2011, 02:32
So you naive kids are still feeding the troll huh !

Alright then .. if you just broaden you view a bit and look what's happening around you (particularly in India), you'll find :

1. Poor farmers committing suicide.

2. People living in slums in pathetic conditions.

3. Children barely able to go to school beyond class 5 or 6.

4. Drunk intoxicated fathers bashing up mothers, snatching away their necklace to sell them for more alcohol.

the list goes on ...

YET ... notice the most important thing you'll observe .....

LIFE GOES ON !

(And here, a small bunch of you kids with CPL with blackberry phones, iPod and what have you, partying like wild animals, are grumbling and bitching about your present state of affairs.)

People have either somehow come up in life by either pure luck, hardwork or as in most cases a combination of the two.

Get real you kids !! ... Wake up to the real world.

Think, who or what is really responsible for what is happening at present.

Did someone twist your arm, or hold a gun barrel to your forehead and ask you to go get yourself a pilot certificate ?

If not, and if it was purely your prerogative, then you must ACCEPT responsibility for your decisions and more importantly accept the fact that you were naive and foolish, not to have at least one or two good back up plans in case things dont turn out as planned.

radical_100
19th Jan 2011, 06:56
@estranged_soul

Very well put, and totally agree with you. Jobs are a plenty for people without a degree too out there. There are several stories of entrepreneurs who dropped out of school to start their own ventures.

Having a decent education in India (i.e. 10+2 or even just 10) puts you in the top strata of educated people in the society. If you aren't able to find jobs around, then I guess no one will.

More importantly, looking at "recovering" your money in Aviation is a total No-No. Aviation is an expensive industry and people get into flying knowing that it is going to pinch the pockets. (of course, the pinching doesn't hurt as much when the pocket isn't yours).

capson
19th Jan 2011, 10:29
Started my training in 1992 had to stop 6 months later ran out of fund. Worked as cleaner and warehouse storeperson on partime basis for few years.

Saved up some cash, was lucky....lived at home and had no other commitments ie single and NO GF. Well, who wants to go out with a hygiene engineer....:O)
So, did my CPL and IR in 2001. Cut long story short my 1st job in 2007.

Moral of the story, stop bitching get on with your life if this is what you want then focus and keep at it.
Otherwise do something else. by the way don't expact life style of rich and famous with your pay packet...:sad:

But, it i will not do anything else...:ok:

Good luck:zzz:

scandicstar
19th Jan 2011, 12:24
I bet it was not your ambition or dream of becoming a pilot when you were young. Somebody might have just forced it down your throat of becoming a pilot during those boom years. In India to spent something like US$ 50000 is a very big money. To some it is a lifetime earning.
Everything well said, probably you re at the wrong place but at a right time.
Keep on sending your CV to all operators in India every months or every other month. write same thing over and over again and just change the date on your resume. One fine day some big bosses might just feel like calling you for interview, you ll never know. You might just have a quarter chance of getting a job interview, it is still a chance. Give it a try mate. It is like taking more bet in a lottery play as you got better change. Meanwhile just go back for a degree course in something you like doing and you enjoy doing so.:p

A380 Jockey
20th Jan 2011, 16:27
"Did someone twist your arm, or hold a gun barrel to your forehead and ask you to go get yourself a pilot certificate ?"
@ estranged soul...guess who's the troll here?(its a licence not a certificate)!
vdaff...ok. You are one amongst the few thousand pilots presently licenced,current and unemployed in india and around the world. Where's the emergency mate? In your rare case it seems that its just you bubba. Your folks seem more supportive than your lil head there innit...
A bachelor's degree is always a bonus. But I assume that at some point in life you traded that for your Cpl and therefore are probably pretty young right now. In your mid 20's prolly. So why don't you convert that spare time and do a correspondence course or better still do the complete bachelors. But if you honestly ask me...if you have to be told to do your degree then you probably don't need it anyways! That's my philly....
Now,what's happening in the aviation circuit in india and around the world. Take it from me,(and i'm as good as it gets....),you'll prolly have a job and be in the midst of your S/O training before this year is out,with one of the Lcc's or majors in india. So regret not and never get discouraged. Cause remember....John Walker would NEVER have become the brand that he is today,if he just stopped walking.......Johnnie Walker!
Indigo's ordered 150 machines and will be hiring in about 2 weeks. Jet's considering more T7's and Bus quads. AI's being bailed out by the GOI with the new CAM.
And this is all just the first inch of rain stupid...:cool:
So,fret not. Sit tight and hibernate. And rather than be a burden on your lovely parents, provide them with the support that they are looking for from you. By being optimistic and doggone serious about your flying career and giving THEM the words of support that they presently are offering you. Remember,deep down beneath their tough exteriors,even they have the nagging fear that you might someday just become another statistic in the lost art of professional flying. But they don't show it do they...???!!
They provide you with evergreen and eversweet words of support don't they..??!!
That's YOUR job bubba...
Do it!

iflysoon
20th Jan 2011, 16:59
geeze jockey :Dur words made my day:O feels nice to hear something this positive whn everyone's busy whinning a complaining around..thnkyou..cheers:ok:

mike_sierra
20th Jan 2011, 17:16
@iflysoon .. i second that
@A380 Jockey .. thanks for that post there mate!

A380 Jockey
20th Jan 2011, 18:04
You fellows are MORE than welcome guys....!!
I was once in a position just like your selves too. About two and a half decades ago. But look where life's got me now. But things would've been a whole lot different had I 'changed' my flight path and succumbded to peer/parental pressure and become say a medical professional or a chartered accountant!
A WHOLE lot different,and on hindsight, I might add......A LOT LESS SATISFYING!
Think about that....;)

Sp224
20th Jan 2011, 18:08
@ estranged soul

You're a disgrace to Aviation. I'm sorry I have to reply in a rather rude way here. But I'm fed up of guys like you who are already working in an airline and somehow think that you guys are top notch pilots and pour attitude here calling the guys who are unemployed as kids. No we are not Kids. Just because you happen to be working in an airline and got in before us does not make you a 'Maverick'

Yes I am unemployed. I have spent more than 50000$ for my training. I always wanted to become a Pilot and I din't get into aviation thinking of the money or the life style it provided but I joined because I simply love this industry. I din't think of doing any other degree, because I simply cannot see myself doing anything else in life than flying. Its just so much in me and I'm pretty sure 70% of the guys here who are unemployed, they got in this industry because of passion and not money.

I suggest, if you don't have anything good to say, keep the advice to yourself and don't say such things. Life does move on. When someone dies in your family, Life will move on, when you get HIV/AIDS, life will move on. When you meet with an accident and are paralyzed, life moves on! When such things happen to you, just write here.. and we unemployed guys will be your agony aunts and you can expect quite a lot of replies.

Take care and try to be a better person before becoming a better pilot.

estranged soul
21st Jan 2011, 03:46
A380 jockey ... where I did all my training (private to ATP), we call it a pilot CERTIFICATE. License, CPL, ATPL etc are the terms used in JAA countries I
believe.

koolchaos3188
21st Jan 2011, 04:22
@ A380 Jockey - really IndiGo is gonna hire in just about two weeks?
would they consider type rated on A320?
and you have any clue when kingfisher would be coming up with vacancies?

vserian
21st Jan 2011, 04:33
I also heard that Indigo is going to hire soon, but they would probably ask you to pay for the A320 course

LOFT
21st Jan 2011, 05:01
Indigo will be hiring in April 2011, the Shortlisting of candidates from the Dec 2010 exam is still going on. It will be nice if you guys mail in your cv to Indigo after the 1st week of Feb, the HR will be done with the current recruitment drive by then.

Do not loose hope and keep yourself current with knowledge and skills, as 2011-12 seems to be the next peak for pilot recruitments in india.

LOFT:ok:

Hire
1st Feb 2011, 15:21
Hi
I am working for an airlines in the H.R dept..
I have some news for you all young guys..
A agency based in new delhi will be hiring 100 indian pilots holding any icao license for a south east airlines on 737NG this year..it wil be a for contract 3 years..they will hire from 2nd week of feb..it will be a change of aviation in india..I hope you all guys can get thru..

Aviator4u
1st Feb 2011, 17:56
I gues u r tokin abt jet airways and dis z no news as almst evry1 knws this!

unemployed-jackasses
14th Mar 2011, 10:53
another stupid daydreamer ... this country is so full of stupid youth ...:p:p

IAC_Pilot
14th Mar 2011, 11:03
settled in life at 22.

My consolations.

vdaff
6th Jun 2011, 15:16
@IAC_Pilot

yes dude, I know pilots who are settled at a young age while their friend are either at unis or unemployed like me, infact I know a AI 777 pilot, just 23 years old got married few months back to a 21 year old girl who still studying at unis, her parents gave her to him cause they dont want to lose this "high salary earner" :ugh:

Some are lucky dude...some like me are not

vserian
1st Jul 2011, 17:00
@vdaff

You actually think getting married at 23 is a lucky thing?

Aviator4u
1st Jul 2011, 17:08
@vserian
haha...good point...from your last post,I can very well make out that you are married...;)

vdaff
2nd Jul 2011, 04:06
i do belive that someone is really lucky to get settled in life in that age

josh121.5
2nd Jul 2011, 10:08
@vdaff : gettiing married at 23 ,u call that getting settled in life ? i call it SUICIDE ! :O

smurf84
2nd Jul 2011, 13:51
vdaff....I think you've got to get a grip of yourself, dude. You're on depression mode in all the threads. It isn't doing any good to the other pilots here.

issues
3rd Jul 2011, 00:07
vdaff - take it easy, if you're in it for the right reason, you're time will come, just hold on ! :ok:

captjns
3rd Jul 2011, 07:02
First of all, let’s face it VDAFF... you should also state that it was your mom and dad that provided the $50,000 to fund your ratings;).

Perhaps, you should have followed the examples of your mates and acquired college degree before, hitting your folks up for money for your flight training:hmm:.

Face it VDAFF, there are far more qualified pilots, with college degrees, than positions available:{. With that being said, the market much too competitive. Carriers, not only in India, but round the world are will hire pilots not only with flight time, but those with the highest level of education.

So stop the whining, make your mom and dad proud… go out and get that college degree. At 22 you are still young enough. Airlines will still be around in 3 or 4 years. You never know, you may find another field to embark upon and pay your folks back the money for the flying lessons:ok:.

mohikan
3rd Jul 2011, 11:54
How much of the 50 thousand went in bribes I wonder ?