PDA

View Full Version : Use of french Altiports/Altisurfaces

Aucky
16th Jan 2011, 18:26
Does anyone know what the specific requirements are for landing in the french altiports for heli's?? A little peruse of some plank-wing threads (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/79087-french-mountain-rating.html) suggest that a french mountain rating, and site specific authorisations are required. I'm flying an R44 to Albertville in a few weeks, but would like to do some taught instruction into the french altiports whilst out there, possibly the french mountain rating if I extend my stay. any info on this anyone??

Aucky

mods - I didn't post this into 'Mountain Flying' because I wanted to keep it on the specific topic of French Altiports, but understand if you feel it should be moved. thanks :ok:

No Foehn
17th Jan 2011, 07:04
The mountain qualifications are specific to fixed wing aircraft and do not apply to helicopters or microlights. Clearly, though, instruction's still a good idea.

My helicopter's based in Tignes, and the sunset last night from over the peaks was absolutely stunning. Enjoy!

Aucky
17th Jan 2011, 08:20
No Foehn - what a great spot, is that private/commercial if you don't mind my asking? Do you happen to do any instruction work or know someone locally who does? preferably in the 44 that I'm bringing down, but I could rent also...
Thanks

No Foehn
17th Jan 2011, 11:57
I fly strictly for fun, I'm afraid. PM sent.

AnFI
17th Jan 2011, 23:43
Auky - I don't know your experience .....

BUT

if you are not familiar with full throttle operation it would be VERY DANGEROUS to encounter it for the first time 'by yourself' - the responses required may not be instinctive or automatic .... the counterintuitive responses required may lead to you crashing....

If you don't know what I am talking about then:

Seek advice - from someone who really does understand.

If you do then you must always spread the caution to the blissfully ignorant....

AnFI

aegir
18th Jan 2011, 07:35
I can suggest you to reed the French regulation, in particular the following "Arrete"
Arrêté du 6 mai 1995 relatif aux aérodromes et autres emplacements utilisés par les hélicoptères

NOR: EQUA9500544A

Version consolidée au 5 juillet 2008

herebelow the link to the French Civil Aviation Code
Détail d'un code (http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do;jsessionid=E64B33971295EE93E1F74CDB7A0F3F19.tp djo09v_2?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006074234&dateTexte=20100913)

Aucky
18th Jan 2011, 23:33
Hi Guys, thanks for the useful responses :ok: all great stuff.

No Foehn - Thanks for the PM also, I shall follow that up tomorrow, and hopefully if he cannot accommodate he can perhaps suggest somebody that can. It's much appreciated.

AnFI - Regards to my experience it is relatively little, approx 600hrs and 300hrs instruction mostly near sea level (280hrs in R44). I have done a few mountain flight courses, up to 11,000' in SA, and hill flying around Mt Snowdon (in pretty poor/gusty weather), but neither involving more that approx 5 hrs flight, and at a time when the mountain conditions theory didn't set as well as I was pre-occipied with the helicopter alone. I have <10hrs genuine experience of full throttle operation, I feel I understand the theory of it all pretty well, and have read up on a lot regarding ridge crossing, pinnacle landings, valley flying, rotor turbulence, up/down draughts, low-rpm, vortex ring etc.... but as you say until the natural reactions are there who know how one can react under pressure. All of this is why I am trying to source some on location instruction, and I don't plan to venture passed Albertville unless this is the case. That said, I feel i'm ready to tackle it safely, with some local training, and would like to get all the experience I can from this trip.

Aegir - Thanks for the link, at the risk of sounding ignorant, my french is ok but air law in my mother tongue is confusing enough :}, I think I would be more likely to get myself in trouble reading that from misinterpretation. I feel a little common sense and discussion with a few people regarding local do's/dont's may be more productive for someone of my french ability? I have received my helisurfaces permit, and understand the reg's regarding this but are there many mountain specific nuggets of info that are required? thanks for the heads up.

Also out of interest, I'm hoping to visit 'La Cote' (east of Geneva on the norths side of the lake) from Albertville to visit my sister who lives in Nyon. I noticed that around Chambery/Annecy there are dashed routings with '4000 MAX' and '4000MNM' to various reporting points, are these required routings for all traffic, or suggested routings through/around their CTR's??

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g455/aliaucky/Screenshot2011-01-19at001214-1.jpg

Cheers, Aucky

No Foehn
20th Jan 2011, 20:10
I noticed that around Chambery/Annecy there are dashed routings with '4000 MAX' and '4000MNM' to various reporting points, are these required routings for all traffic, or suggested routings through/around their CTR's??

These are recommended routes for VFR traffic through the Chambéry TMA helping to keep separation with the pretty dense charter activity in the ski season. As the TMA is class E airspace, they aren't obligatory, but sticking to them will do that little bit towards it staying that way and not being reclassified class D. Details on the LFLB vac.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/VAC/AD/2/1102_AD-2.LFLB.pdf