PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!!!

Jack-Devon
16th Jan 2011, 16:09
I will be starting college in September to study A-Levels. As soon as i leave i want to start training for my licenses, there are three ways i am looking to do it, Army as a last resort but happy to do it, modular or integrated. Any advice on what you would do im my position would be great or even how you obtained them personally,

Thanks Jack

stevop21
16th Jan 2011, 16:22
Get a job at your local airfield, washing planes etc. They may let you have free hours in return :ok: In your position I would just concentrate on getting the best grades you can.

Curtis E Carr
16th Jan 2011, 18:04
Army as a last resort but happy to do it

Forget the Army. You won't get past the first hurdle.

Torque Tonight
16th Jan 2011, 18:24
How do you see joining the Army as a way of getting a commercial pilot's licence?

Why would the Army recruit someone who only wished to join as a last resort and who intended to leave for an entirely different career as quickly as possible? Likewise you should not think of the RAF as a means of becoming an airline pilot - your idea just doesn't work the way you imagine it would.

Your three strategies have now been reduced to two, and you need to do a bit of research into the modular and integrated paths.

Jack-Devon
16th Jan 2011, 20:33
Do 8 or 16 years service, gain good experience and come out with licences ..

Jack-Devon
16th Jan 2011, 20:35
What makes you think i would't get past the first hurdle, you dont know how determined i am, you dont know the state of my physical fitness and you dont know academic capabilities.

Curtis E Carr
16th Jan 2011, 20:53
Army as a last resort

you dont know how determined i am

I think I do.

SW1
16th Jan 2011, 21:20
Jack,

Welcome to the Prune! Do whats best for you, but make sure you have explored all possibilities. Go on BALPAS website, GAPAN etc and if you can, go to one of the flyer shows.

Most importantly, dont get drawn into any arguments on here. Youre just wasting your time arguing with people on a forum. Trust me I know:ok:

Jack-Devon
16th Jan 2011, 21:55
Thanks SW1. But why do other people comment on my thread if they are not giving any useful advice at all, seems a bit pointless, but there you go ...

SW1
16th Jan 2011, 22:03
As stated before:

Welcome to the Prune!

:ok:

Good luck

Torque Tonight
16th Jan 2011, 22:33
Well actually it is intended to be useful advice. Don't get all defensive just because it's not what you want to hear.

To make it as an officer in the British Armed Forces is very challenging indeed (particularly if you want to become aircrew). Recruitment is hugely oversubscribed by very motivated, high calibre candidates who are intensely focussed on their intended career. To get through the application stage is very tough. For those that make it through selection, the training is then very, very tough (on a scale that I suspect you do not yet comprehend).

The chances are that if your heart and aspirations actually lie in a different career, you will be found out at interview and not make it past stage 1. If somehow you do make to training, and your heart is not in it, you are very unlikely to succeed. Even some of the most motivated candidates don't make it through training. If you're sitting on a moorside at 4am in a gale, freezing cold, hungry, fatigued, with 20 odd kg of kit and another 15 miles to go, and you're thinking 'only another 16 years of this before I can poke off to the airlines' then... well, you see my point. The forces don't need people who see them as a last resort.

If on the other hand you're thinking of joining in the ranks, then you may well get in. However, although first class life experience, it may not be the sort of experience that particularly advances your career towards the airlines and on a private soldier or NCO's wage, you'll probably be too poor to pay for fATPL training until you're too old to stand a good chance of getting a job.

The exasperated replies you have received are a result of us so often hearing people suggest that the forces (RAF in particular) are a cheap shortcut to becoming an airline pilot. Those people are in for a shock. If you want to become an airline pilot I would suggest a more direct approach.

Northbeach
17th Jan 2011, 07:22
Jack-Devon

comment on my thread if they are not giving any useful advice at all, seems a bit pointless, but there you go

Did it ever occur to you that your dismissive attitude towards the “army” and word choice may have triggered such responses?

It’s likely that some here have given decades, heart, soul, blood, possibly body parts and buried colleagues in service to their respective military branches. Having vested their life in service they hold their branch of military in high regard. Having paid their dues in full they now sit in the left front seat of a jet transport and along you come with this "gem":

As soon as i leave i want to start training for my licenses, there are three ways i am looking to do it, Army as a last resort but ……….

Your goal is to gain your licenses, are willing to “use” the Army and they are the “last resort”. They may not share your view that the military exists to facilitate your immediate goals.

Good luck with that..........

Lightning Mate
17th Jan 2011, 08:12
It’s likely that some here have given decades, heart, soul, blood, possibly body parts and buried colleagues in service to their respective military branches. Having vested their life in service they hold their branch of military in high regard.

Nicely said. :ok:

2nd-generation
17th Jan 2011, 09:12
Your little plot will be evident within a few minutes of your first interview.. you should give credit to the experts trained and extremely competent in discovering candidates' motivation.

You will be competing against hi-calibre, genuinely motivated and knowledgeable candidates... so your chances are zero I'm afraid.

This is intended to be CONSTRUCTIVE information.... so don't reject it just because you don't like it!

Notwithstanding the above..every good wish to you. 2G

Wilton Shagpile
17th Jan 2011, 09:35
Jack - there is plenty of information on here about the best ways to proceed with the training towards a flying career. A couple of hours surfing PPRuNe with a mug of tea will turn up loads of information. If you're starting this year you might find yourself in a good position as the recruitment cycle returns.

I would get a trade too if I were you as you may well find yourself in periods of unemployment both before you get a flying job and during your career. Having an immediate second source of income will be of real benefit if and when times get tough.

Good luck!