PDA

View Full Version : FAA/JAA flights on N-reg

Lowmick
16th Jan 2011, 07:58
Hello,
I have a question - when somebody wants to fly N-reg aircraft IFR private in Europe, what exactly he needs to have?
FAA licence make difference between ME, SE (not exactly MEP or SEP). And in FAA licence, when it is based on JAA licence, is a notice: "Issued on basis and valid only when accompained by JAA licence" (or so). It means, when anybody have IR and CE550 qualification in JAA licence, and in FAA he has only SE, ME, he can fly for example Citation II on N-reg in Europe? With training in USA and also EU to have it in JAA licence.

Chinchilla.612
16th Jan 2011, 08:25
Lowmick,
I will answer your question to the best of my understanding (and I prepare to stand corrected).

In order to fly an N registered aircraft in Europe under IFR you will require an FAA certificate applicable to the type/class of aircraft you wish to fly.
In some EU states a licence valid for that aircraft type/class in that state may be used to fly an N registered aircraft, but not for international flights (ie, only for flights in the same state as the licence was issued).

If you do not have the CE550 AND a validated instrument rating on your FAA Certificate you may not use it to fly that type OR to fly any type/class under IFR either in the EU or the USA.

Hope that helps,

Chinchilla.

Lowmick
16th Jan 2011, 08:48
ok, thank you.

I just wasnt sure with that notice in FAA licence "issued on basis of JAA licence". If it replace IR from JAA.

ITFC1
16th Jan 2011, 10:16
I will try add my thought on it, likewise, dont quote me on it.

its the "License" that is based on the JAA, IR is a rating NOT a license.

As far as i know, if its a based on License, it means VFR Day only, if you wanted to fly the Citation IR, and its FAA Registered, you will need a FAA I/R.

As i say, not saying i am 100% correct, as when i was doign a FAA BFR for somebody a few years ago, he was in this exact position, he thought he was OK, i checked with FSDO and they agreed with me, he needed a stand alone FAA IR to operate IFR.

These "based" on licenses, were origianlly done for people travelling to the USA for hour building and doing a bit of flying on holidays etc, and not for long term usage. Best way of course is to get stand alone licenses, of course i dont know your circumstances, so not sure if you can.

hope that helps in someway,

Chinchilla.612
16th Jan 2011, 10:30
Always happy to try and help.
But no, only gives you authority to fly the types/class mentioned on the certificate. The part about "Issued on Basis of Foreign Licence" means that the foreign licence MUST be valid (and current) for those types/classes in order to use the FAA certificate.

Chinchilla.612
16th Jan 2011, 10:39
ITFC1,

It is possible to have an IR on a foreign verified certificate, but the FAA require you to pass a test to add it, so not purely a paperwork ex like with class ratings. My friend has this currently with a C525 and IR based on a foreign licence.

The FAA are able to add whatever ratings you have on your foreign licence at the time of the verification and they will list those on the certificate they issue.
Should you wish to add further ratings at a later time (ie if you gain another rating on your foreign licence) then I gather you have to have the licence verified again so the FAA can check with the issuing authority that the details are true/correct before they will issue a revised certificate.

Chinchilla.

Lowmick
16th Jan 2011, 14:56
so to add IR from JAA to FAA licence, is it necessary to write only a test? Or there is normal training with final practical exam?

I suppose, even when the N-reg aircraft is operated in Europe (and it will be), requirements are same, I mean pleace when you fly isn't important. Main goal is registration...

Chinchilla.612
16th Jan 2011, 15:46
Lowmick,

The process is described in detail on the FAA website:

I am a foreign pilot. How do I get a U.S. license (certificate) with an instrument rating? (http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=93&p_created=1071244164&p_sid=-FpFwdkk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ 9MywzJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz02LDE3JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9Mi4xNyZwX3B hZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWluc3RydW1lbnQgcmF0aW5n&p_li=&p_topview=1)

But yes, it is the written test and not a practical test to add the IR from your JAA licence to a validated FAA certificate.

If you have the type/class and IR on your validated certificate and the foreign licence on which it is based is current then you are correct, at the moment it doesn't matter where you are operating the aircraft so long as it is N registered.

Rgds,

Chinchilla.

Lowmick
16th Jan 2011, 17:32
Great. Thank you Chinchilla.