PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive long-haul open-jaw flights?

Pontius Navigator
15th Jan 2011, 14:28
It is fairly easy to find inexpensive long-haul return fares but what is the best way to find the lowest prices for single journey open-jaw?

I am looking at UK-NZ and return USA-UK?

PAXboy
15th Jan 2011, 15:18
It is a given that every time one states how ticketing has been - it changes that day!

Generally long hail carriers like you to go out and back. If you need two carriers for the out and back, see if you van find two that belong to the same grouping: One World, Star Alliance, etc. Start off on THEIR web site, not that of the carrier.

Then look at all the usual suspects of consolidaters and agencies who have deals with the carriers, Last Minute, Kelkoo Ticketing or ANY of those travel search sites. If the two points of your open jaws route are popular, then it should be easy ... but don't quote me on that.

siftydog
15th Jan 2011, 15:39
UK-NZ emirates website is usually quite favourable. Also, u can book a 3 leg return but just don't use the middle leg if you want to depart OZ to return.

Don't know about the states.

Hartington
15th Jan 2011, 17:09
I would reccomend contacting someone like Trailfinders or STA Travel. They are experts in this kind of thing. Beg, borrow or buy a copy of the Sunday Times and you'll find a number of companies with big adverts offering flights to NZ and around the world (the fact that you're filling your own gap won't worry them - if it does hang up and move on).

It may not be of any interest to you but they might be able to offer stopovers that won't be obvious when you use the web (booking sites aren't very good at answering questions like "can I stop here" you have to try lots of different bookings) or if you actually want to go to somewhere in NZ rather than Auckland you may find the domestic add on is negligible.

That said I plugged some random dates in the BA "Multi City" option LON/AKL and LAX/LON and it came up with GBP1170.30.

Siftydog is advocating a risky strategy. Many airlines cancel subsequent flights if you fail to turn up for one - their terms say you MUST use the coupons in the correct order and missing one out is not the correct order (they say).

I don't know how you're planning to enter the USA but if it isn't on a commercial flight make sure you understand the visa requirements - the visa waiver may not apply. Even if you're arriving on a cruise liner AS A PASSENGER I suspect you may need a visa. If you're arriving on any form of sea vessel as crew you probably need a visa.

Read here Visa Waiver Program (VWP) (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#vwp)

If you are eligible for VPW you must fill in ESTA which costs USD14.00 - if someone tries to charge you more run away. The official site is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Anansis
15th Jan 2011, 18:49
I'd recommend looking at Air New Zealand. They fly both east and west from London to New Zealand via either LA or Hong Kong. Maybe you could book a return from London to New Zealand with a long stopover in the USA:

https://flightbookings.airnewzealand.co.uk/isbook_en_GB/book/initNewMultiStopSearch.do

If you have to have a break in your journey then maybe you could contact the airline directly to see if they can give you a good price (the online system won't let you break the Pacific crossing and as Hartington points out, missing sectors is a risky game).

Alternatively you could do the trip on low cost carriers. Fly Air Asia from London to Kuala Lumpur. Then you could either fly with Jetstar straight to Auckland from nearby Singapore or you could take another Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Australia then pick up another budget flight from Oz to NZ (just make sure to leave loads of time for connections!). Iceland Express sell a cheap one way tickets from New York to London. There are also several charter companies who will allow you to purchase reasonably priced one way tickets (especially from the likes or Orlando and Las Vegas).

Good luck!

Pontius Navigator
15th Jan 2011, 22:25
Lots to go on, thanks.

I should have said that the NZ-USA leg is on a cruise ship and the company could fix the flights. They also offer flexibility +/- 6 months. If I read their add-on price it is extremely competitive from what Hartington found.

Must say I would favour Emirates as they upgraded us on one flight :)

UniFoxOs
16th Jan 2011, 10:12
Even if you're arriving on a cruise liner AS A PASSENGER I suspect you may need a visa.

Have done this a few times and the I94 has always been required and sufficient. However, as has already been said, the minute somebody advises you of anything the rules change so always CHECK.

Enjoy your trip.

If you are going with Emirates make sure you haven't any contraband at Dubai - paracetomol, air-sickness tablets, grain of hash on the sole of your shoe or a female with you who isn't a family member.

Cheers
UFO

Anansis
16th Jan 2011, 12:05
Emirates are good but USA-UK via Dubai!? Bit of a long leg. Do they still 'kangeroo' through Europe en route or something?

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2011, 17:18
Uni, we went through Dubai (3-days) in March without a sniff of a problem. Pleasant and courteous immigration, unlike that other country, and super fast baggage retrieval.

Despite the dire warnings about pills and poppers there was no hint of any authoritarianism.

Apart from it being so expensive, we would not hesitate to stop off there.

london_heathrow
24th Jan 2011, 22:08
I'd use the likes of Kayak... look at the option for "multi-city" flights...

Pontius Navigator
25th Jan 2011, 08:54
LHR, I like that site. Never thought about the westabout route even though I have done it once to Singapore.