View Full Version : Excel Problem - Can anyone help, please?

Capot
15th Jan 2011, 12:34
Dear all,

Since the days of Lotus 123 and Supercalc, I have been creating columns or rows of consecutive numbers by putting in the first number, and then in the next cell a formula to add 1 to the first cell value, eg "A1+1". I then copy that formula down the column or across the row to get 1, 2, 3, 4..........etc

There might be a more sophisticated way, but it works(ed) for me.

As from yesterday, the formula is copying OK, ie A1+1, A2+1, A3+1, and so on.

But the value shown in each cell is the value of the first one, ie 1, 1, 1....and so on.

I have tried all the variations of pasting formulas, values etc but none puts this right.

It's Excel 2007, with Vista. This is now happening on all Excel files in that computer (from a sample of 5 or 6)..

Moving any of the files to another computer (Excel 2007, XP) does not change things.

It's driving me crazy; any ideas would be much appreciated!

Mr Optimistic
15th Jan 2011, 12:49
Presume you mean '=A1+1' etc, ie equals sign in there. Does the 'fill' command work (from memory rhs of home toole bar. Pick series with increment as 1.

Other than that , no '$' signs in the formula ? Cells formatted as 'general' or number with appropriate significant places ?

Capot
15th Jan 2011, 13:29
Many thanks Mr O..

I should have mentioned the = sign for the formula; yes, it was there.

I have never used the Fill command, being hardly aware of its existence.

However......

SUCCESS!

Fill > Series, select columns or rows, step value and final value, and it works a treat. Much better and easier than my old formula method from Lotus 123* days in 1983, or even its predecesor, if there was one.

Many thanks for the invaluable steer.

But I'm still puzzled about why copying the +1 formula into multiple cells has started to work so oddly, and it's going to niggle until I can see why.

*Or was it something like "Visicalc" then, before Supercalc? Memory grows dim.

mixture
15th Jan 2011, 14:01
Capot,

According to the big W ... "VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet program available for personal computers" ... so you're memory's still fine ! :ok:

spannersatcx
15th Jan 2011, 18:14
I had a similar problem, it is to do with the paste options, in the newer versions of office there are various paste options available, just make sure you select the correct one i.e. paste formula.

obgraham
15th Jan 2011, 20:19
Easier method:
Enter the number, x in A1
Enter the next in the series, x+1 in A2

Now mouse-Select the range A1 to A2, then click on the little dohicky in the lower right of the selected range and drag it down as far as you want.

All the cells in the newly expanded range will be filled as you wished.

Voila! ....?