PDA

View Full Version : The right jet for our needs?

sfgeoff
15th Jan 2011, 07:03
Our organization has reached a point where we'd like to move up to a jet aircraft. Our missions will consist primarily of transporting 4-6 pax between our company's properties in Napa, Telluride, North Bend (OR), Kalispell, Key West, NYC, and Maui. Three or four times per year we travel to London, Edinburgh, Paris, Nice, Geneva, Barcelona, and Naples, but can make other arrangements for crossing the pond if needs be (that is, to save a few million). Home base will be NYC area. One more thing to make things complicated: one frequent pax is 6'5" and about 300 lbs. Reliability, and low operating costs are high considerations. What aircraft do you experts recommend that might meet our needs?

HS125
15th Jan 2011, 07:30
Check private Messages!

lear60fellow
15th Jan 2011, 07:36
Learjet 60, Hawker 850, Citation Excel... all are 6-8 pax configuration, range 5-6 hours. Low costs is impossible on jets

bizjet inmate
15th Jan 2011, 08:15
A 6'5" 300lbs gentleman on a Lear 60? I dont think so.

Hawker 900 or challenger 300 in my opinion, you have some long flights there. But I agree with a previous post........no cheap way to own a jet.

hawkerjet
15th Jan 2011, 11:19
I would look into the Hawker 4000. A new aircraft comes with a great maintenance package for 5 years and can do your European missions also. Since they came to the game so late with aircraft do to delays in certification, there are some great deals for this super mid size aircraft.:ok:

340drvr
15th Jan 2011, 13:36
Falcon 2000?

bizjet inmate
15th Jan 2011, 18:36
Maybe a 2000......but your in a whole new game as far as costs......even though a falcon as reliable as an old boot.

If your only doing longer haul a bit.....not worth making the step to 2000 or above....My opinion of course;)

con-pilot
15th Jan 2011, 19:12
With today's depressed used aircraft prices you can still find some really good bargains. I'm an admitted Falcon fan, so I'd recommend a used Falcon 900B. Nice large cabin and easy non-stop from the New York area to London.

What ever you do decide to buy, have fun looking. :ok:

LadyGrey
16th Jan 2011, 05:28
With today's depressed used aircraft prices you can still find some really good bargains. I'm an admitted Falcon fan, so I'd recommend a used Falcon 900B. Nice large cabin and easy non-stop from the New York area to London

Yes!

Reliability, and low operating costs

Buy a (new or used )Falcon, get the Conclin reports on operating costs.....

If the "big guy" is one of the "deciders", get him into a 900?? and the cake is eaten...

mutt
16th Jan 2011, 06:34
Save yourself a lot of money..... go hire some professionals to assess your requirements!

Mutt

B200Drvr
16th Jan 2011, 07:12
Well said Mutt

stuckgear
16th Jan 2011, 09:26
And also get a PROPER PPI done. i often get called in to to assist owners who bought wrong and ended up with an aircraft with issues that were not uncovered in the Pre Purchase Inspection, or tried to save a few bucks by having a buddy / employee do it.

if you want some leads on where to go / who to use, PM me.

sfgeoff
16th Jan 2011, 09:32
Thanks, everyone, for the posted, and personal responses. We're just at the beginning stages of aircraft acquisition, with many things still to consider in moving up from a turbo prop to jet. We'll definitely consult with the professionals before signing the dotted line, but hearing advice from those of you who actually fly the things and are familiar with the peculiarities of corporate aviation (and corporate passengers) is certainly a good start.

Seems there are trade-off with every option and it's just a matter of determining our priorities. An aircraft that can efficiently and reliably meet our mission requirements, while providing reasonable comfort for those of us in the back, sounds easy enough, no?

LGW Vulture
16th Jan 2011, 11:58
Mutt, the one thatīs been sitting in Jeddah for six months or more that now needs a thorough corrosion inspection before it can fly again?

BoilerUP
16th Jan 2011, 13:23
That's a rather tall list of mission requirements for a company looking for their first jet...especially without knowing anything about the acquisition budget.

At a minimum, I'd say the Falcon 50EX, especially given the mountainous airports & runway lengths you'd be working with. You could do Europe & Hawaii with it with a good amount of comfort, though you'd likely be looking at tech stops for many of your Atlantic crossings.

Other options would be the Falcon 2000, Challenger 300 (as others have said), or 900B. Options that could work but might require close examination of runway/climb performance are the Gulfstream 200 and Challenger 604.

LadyGrey
16th Jan 2011, 13:35
Save yourself a lot of money..... go hire some professionals to assess your requirements!
Went shopping for a BBJ-3..... when all variables were considered we ended up with a B747-8IBrilliant statement! So you did not hire some professionals to assess your requirements, eh?

mutt
16th Jan 2011, 15:03
LOL.......................:D:D:D:D:D The professionals ended up getting the -8i.... Guaranteed to do the mission, 100% of the time, with 100% of the payload, and it looks COOOOLLLLLLLLLLL.

But as you might guess, the budget wasn't a deciding factor.

Mutt

con-pilot
16th Jan 2011, 19:23
At a minimum, I'd say the Falcon 50EX, especially given the mountainous airports & runway lengths you'd be working with. You could do Europe & Hawaii with it with a good amount of comfort, though you'd likely be looking at tech stops for many of your Atlantic crossings.

I agree with all of the above, but again, double check prices, there is a chance that one can purchase a used 900B for about the same price as a newer used 50EX. The operating cost of a 900B and a 50EX are about the same, but you get a much larger cabin and a lot more range.

However, that being said, I did take a 50EX around the world from the US, west to east against the winds on the central pacific route. No problems, had a dry footprint all the way.

And yes, I should have pointed this out on my first post. Have a very through pre-purchase inspection done by a shop you decide on.

NuName
16th Jan 2011, 19:39
Its not about when you screw up, its about when you learn and pass on the info. MUTT was clear with the truth.

dug the dog
16th Jan 2011, 20:25
The above airplane will meet all your requirements and cheap as well.

BoilerUP
16th Jan 2011, 20:30
The 727, while a classic airframe, ain't exactly a great fit for Telluride with 7100' of runway at an elevation of 9000'AGL.

It'd also be SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive to operate than even the oldest of Falcon 900s.

ra4000
16th Jan 2011, 21:03
Embraer legacy 650,also is a plane to keep in
Mind.

reynar
17th Jan 2011, 01:20
No one mentioned the Citation Sovereign as a option, it has the best takeoff and landing performance in its class, bar none. The cabin may be a little tight compared to the larger midsize however a huge baggage compartment (1000lb limit), a Lavatory larger than a Falcon 50, operating cost is little more than the Hawker 900 but less than a Falcon 2000 and way cheaper to operate than the Falcon 50. range about the same as the Hawker and with over 30 on the used market great prices