PDA

View Full Version : IR - typically how many approaches?

Okavango
14th Jan 2011, 19:46
I'm just trying to work out the difference between FTO's - some include approaches, some don't. How many are typical for an IR course - 30, 40, 50? I'm reckoning at the moment to budget £1000 where not included.

VJW
14th Jan 2011, 21:52
Hey,

My best guess, based on the fact the course is around 55 hours (or 50 if you've done CPL first) :- in any case 15 of which are in the aircraft.

Most lessons for me were about 1.5 hrs long, so at least 10 actual lessons. If you do 3/4 approaches per lesson, that's about £80/100 more per lesson total.

Now I think about it, £1000 for the approaches for the whole course is a good number.

Good job! :ok:

go around flaps15
14th Jan 2011, 22:17
Most schools incorporate it all into one hourly price.

Personally I could'nt think of anything worse than worrying about how many approaches I need to do before commencing an ME IR training flight. It's tough enough as it is! However a thousand quid sounds more than enough.

At my school it depended on what aircraft you were on. Some were on a yearly card others were not. I insisted on one price, and got it.

MIKECR
14th Jan 2011, 22:27
Most FTO's will incorporate all the usual approach/landing fee's etc into the hourly rate. If in doubt...ask. My 2 local FTO's(and you know which 2 they are) include everything in the hourly/package deal. The typical fee's that arent included in the hourly rates of most FTO's are the CAA skill's test fee's. Theyre all on the CAA scheme of charges however.

VJW
14th Jan 2011, 23:34
The above may well be true, but don't get confused in thinking every IR approved school has an ILS and/or NDB on the field somewhere.

For me at Stapleford, I had to fly down the road to Southend to do the approaches, which was only 10/15 mins and we joined controlled airspace to get there, so it wasn't as if we're wasting time.

Back to the question, if you're asking, you're obviously considering going somewhere like the school I went to. I think £1k is a good figure. Pretty sure if you do a full IR 55 hour course in minimum hours, it's horses for courses - the £1k extra you spend on one course, still comes up as the same or less then a school who doesn't charge but 'include' this fee?

downwind24
16th Jan 2011, 14:59
At Bonus the cost's i have worked out which are pretty accurate are appx £1500 (including CPL touch and go's , ILS and NDB's Connington = £13 touch and go and ILS/NDB at Cranfield = £24 , EMA = £27)