PDA

View Full Version : Any cardboard Bulldog cockpits out there?

It's only Me
14th Jan 2011, 15:32
I am presently teaching my son to fly on a Bulldog; ex XX513, initially with SUAS and latterly CFS. I have all the relevant RAF manuals, FRC,s etc to complement the civil PPL pack. However, as I recall, there was a cardboard cockpit available to help with the checks.

If anyone else is like me and has a random selection of ex mil items around the house, including a cut-out cockpit that you no longer need, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Thanks

Me

30mRad
14th Jan 2011, 15:44
Can't help with getting one, but brings back some fond memories of sitting in my cardboard cockpit learning the checks. I found them of great use throughout my flying training even on the Tornado GR1/4.

Good luck with sourcing one.

Paul

Ali Qadoo
14th Jan 2011, 16:04
I obviously had a deprived upbringing because we never had the luxury of cardboard cockpits - probably explains why I could never remember my checks on the Bulldog. According to my logbook I first flew XX513 from Hamble on 4 Dec 1976 - glad to hear it's survived so long after my hamfisted attempts to break it during my time on SUAS!

plebby 1st tourist
14th Jan 2011, 20:41
I've got one knocking around from late 90s on the UAS, but I think it's missing the central bit with the throttle etc on it. PM me with your address and I'll get my mum :O to post it.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Jan 2011, 21:32
Can't help but good luck!

On UGSAS, as well as the cardboard cockpit, we had an actual Bulldog cockpit to use to practise our checks. And it wasn't in the hangar; it was in the Sqn building! I believe that it had found itself upside down in a wood during a MACA type exercise.

Duncs:ok:

CT HOMER
15th Jan 2011, 10:36
Flight Sim, bulldog downloads are out there, not being a flying type don't know how realistic the cockpit is.

mt606
9th Feb 2011, 21:16
maybe ask sywell museum, I think I gave them my one....whether they binned it or not I'm not sure?

Wander00
10th Feb 2011, 19:42
IIRC, the cardboard cockpit was invented by a future Commandant of CFS, S---n B---k, who made a carboard Gnat cockpit which he set up in his room at Valley OM. Got a lot of stick from the rest of us, but he did get Lightnings first tour - maybe it helped!

InfraBoy
15th Jan 2021, 09:13
If any of you are still interested, I have 4 complete, unopened Bulldog cockpits. They even have little bulldogs inside (XX514).

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2563/photoswg.jpg (http://img844.imageshack.us/i/photoswg.jpg/)

hi Adam, do you still have them by any chance?

aclog
15th Jan 2021, 15:10
if you dont mind, would love a picture, think very neat