PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to retain a Class 1 after a brain tumour?

vfrrider481
14th Jan 2011, 08:05
Simply as the title says.

I have yet to receive the full diagnosis, but the MRI scans and Neurologist's thoughts are that I have a brain tumour.

I suspect I know what the answer is, but does anyone know if anyone has ever managed to retain a class 1 in such circumstances?

I am aware that I will know more about the type and grade of tumour after my biopsy booked in for Monday, so I don't currently know if it is benign or malignant.

A bit of a speculative question I know, but just asking.....

VFR

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2011, 17:46
That's the problem with having a career we love - the thought of losing it becomes a major factor when a crisis like this occurs - only adding to the already high stress levels. But you have to take one step at a time.

Every single case is different. At this early stage you can only wait for the results. The waiting and treatment will be just like riding out a storm.

However, the success rate of treatment these days is nothing short of miraculous.

vfrrider481
17th Jan 2011, 20:39
As i lie here in hospital having just had a surgical biopsy it strikes me that for all it's ups and downs this is going to be one hell of a journey. The thing is I know little about where it will take me or how hard it will be to get my class 1 back.

After a phone call to the caa it isn't all over, but it is very unlikely to be a good outcome aviation wise.

Today I had a blind biopsy. In short an mri scan was done this morning to place the lesion 3 dimensionally. I am not sure but i suspect a frame was clamped to my head judging by the small graze on my forehead. A hole the size of a ten pence piece was put in the back of my skull and a needle inserted to remove a small sample of the tissue.

It is quite bizarre that i am not hugely in pain, and all of the doctors seem obsessed with how the lesion was found. I only had a very mild seizure with 20 minutes of amnesia but fortunately my gp doesn't understand nhs budgets and sent me for an mri just in case. The symptoms could easily have been diagnosed as migraine, mini strokes, transient global amnesia and all sorts of other ailments.

The biggest bit now is awaiting the biopsy results. I appreciate my ramblings are not directly related to aviation, but I am endeavouring to get better and then get airborne again. Likewise this is a voyage that very few get an insight in to so I hope I can enlighten and possibly support others.

As I say, I feel this may be a useful blog for me and others facing similar predicaments but it may simply be of interest anyhow. I feel quite optimistic at the moment. I was mortified to have to phone my fic course instructor to tell him I was going to have to stop the course. That far it had been the most enjoyable flying I had done to date.

Anyway tomorrows another day and another adventure now.

vfr

gingernut
17th Jan 2011, 21:27
Hope your feeling ok.:)

kblackburn
18th Jan 2011, 03:27
vfrrider481 - I wish you well for a return to good health...

Loose rivets
18th Jan 2011, 04:56
That's the spirit. Yes, post when you can, there will be a lot of people wanting to know how you're getting on.

Such a blessing being where you are. Superb effort by your medical 'team.'

beany
18th Jan 2011, 07:40
Thank you for posting. I think your attitude and outlook can be an example to many.

Wishing you all the very best and fingers crossed for you.

B

vfrrider481
18th Jan 2011, 07:50
The surgeon has just visited this morning. He's happy the mini cranitomy went well and has said that visually the tissue looked abnormal. In a funny way I was prepared and so there was no shock. It merely confirmed the suspicion.

Now next Tuesday is a big day as that should be results and only then will I know the grade and type of tumour. Strangely most of the fear from the last few days has receded. I suspect most of my comfort is due to the positive attitude of the medical staff around me.

I suspect I am like many who endeavor to attain their flying aspirations with very practical and pragmatic outlooks. You can't help but feel the emotional sledgehammer, but how you respond is a deeply individual thing. I find great solace in talking freely about what's going on as a big part seems to be the transition from denial or questioning 'why me' through to acceptance.

Looking forward to getting home later today and hugging the kids.

kind regards
vfr 'aka rich'

ps. Even contemplated how to get fit enough to do the great north run for cancer research. After all, I'll get bored if I spend too much time in a bed. Maybe work on that as an idea for the future.

Bosman
19th Jan 2011, 11:33
I just want to say that I hope that everything will work out well for you!
Best of luck,
Jan

Bearcat
21st Jan 2011, 22:37
VFR.....keep posting your journey. I pray it's a good outcome. Have a brain mri soon due constant tinitus but they reckon it's a dodgy inner ear snag.

Keep talking to us......are u on facebook....good place to record your journey.

Escape Path
22nd Jan 2011, 03:01
Keep up the good spirits mate! All the best for you; hopefully everything will go the greener way.

As other have said, do keep posting here so we can know of your progress.

Best of luck :ok:

Best regards,

Ed

Floppy Link
22nd Jan 2011, 12:13
Keep your spirits up!

I lost my medical 5 years ago due to high grade Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, had to have major surgery to remove the tumour then 6 cycles of chemotherapy. CAA medical were excellent. Keep them in the loop with copies of reports etc. I got my medical back after a year with no restrictions and am currently flying single pilot air ambulance helicopter.

They have flowcharts for getting your medical back (mine was here - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/Anthracycline-CL1_May%2010.pdf), the index is at
Documents for Download | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=7099)

The issue with mine was the anthracycline chemotherapy and possible long term cardiac side-effects, obviously with the brain it will be different, but they couldn't do enough for me to help me get flying again.

Good luck!

vfrrider481
22nd Jan 2011, 14:46
Folks,

Thanks for the support. There is much that modern medicine can achieve but simply remaining optimistic is a challenge in itself.

I had quite a down day the other day, and given the circumstances that is normal one would have thought. Didn't get much sleep as all the indications are that it is a glioma, and with current treatments they are incurable.

But every time I realise what's going on I have to look for positives because I simply can't let it get to me. That would achieve nothing. I have great trepidation towards Tuesday, but then I also have my fingers crossed that it's a low grade. The prognosis and life expectancy could be quite reasonable if it is low grade.

FL,

You are a true saviour. My biggest issue is demonstrating that I don't develop epilepsy or seizures capable of rendering me immediately incappacitated. If I can get over that hurdle then great, the class 1 could still be a go albeit after 12 months or so.

As an aside, I am hoping to get back into some indoor climbing for some therapy. Of course I won't be acting as belayer/safety for others just in case.....

Kind regards,
VFR

beany
24th Jan 2011, 23:00
Keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you tomorrow.

B

vfrrider481
25th Jan 2011, 21:09
B,

Thanks, however today was results day!

I have been diagnosed as having an astrocytoma grade 2 glioma in the left posterior occipital lobe.

The bad news is that with current medical expertise it isn't cureable. Indeed the Macmillan nurse who works alongside the nuerosurgeon described the treatment as being to control the growth and therefore to maximise the prognosis.

The difficult pill to swallow was that the professionals don't want to operate, because of the risk to my vision. That was a real downer from which I still don't think I have recovered. The tumour is about 3 to 4 centimetres across and part of me just wishes they would operate just to get the damn thing out.

Treatment planned is radiotherapy for which I have a referral for 2 to 3 weeks.

I should be glad it's low grade, it could have been so much worse, but today has been really rough.

Chemo has been mentioned but until we get the molecular results back from the biopsy we don't know if it is appropriate or viable.

The question of my class 1 came up again and he said possibly a class 2 in 2 or 3 years if I can avoid seizures or fits but the class 1 is really down to the CAA.

I'm finding it so hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel because to preserve my vision, I rule out one of the 3 available treatments! I can't begin to describe how this nightmare feels. Top of the world with a freshly minted CPL/IR and MCC with a promising future to checking life and critical illness cover policies in 6 months. I have 2 darling daughters and a wife who have rapidly become my main focus, but this is looking like one hell of a hard slog now.

The physical and emotional demands of the last 2 or 3 days have left me feeling drained, but I hate going to bed because my mind wanders back to thinking about my predicament.

Tomorrows another day and that's important because I need to make a start on recovery now,

Kind regards to those offering support, I may not know you but you wouldn't believe how much they mean.

VFR

beany
26th Jan 2011, 10:42
VFR,

Apologies, my last message just crept over to midnight, I meant yesterday.

Anyway, goodness it's difficult to know what to say. I think you're remarkably strong!

Yes, like you say, it could be worse in terms of the grade of tumour. But even so, you're in the middle of an incredably overwhelming time and you shouldn't beat yourself up for feeling like that. Your life has done a complete u-turn in a matter of weeks, all out of your control, and I am certain that anyone would find that incredibly tough!

I'm glad that you're in contact the the McMillan Nurse, the McMillan team are an excellent source of support and advice in all aspects of the challenges you are facing.

I know that you said you have a referral for radiotherapy in 2-3 weeks and that consideration of Chemotherapy will depend on further results of your biopsy, however, have you got any further input in the meantime? It's only natural to think of a million and one questions after you've left the appointment (often at 3 in the morning!). The position of the tumour and the impact of that on surgery must be so frustrating. There are 2 other treatments still on the table for you and you are yet to begin that, one step at a time.

This information is another small step onwards, like you said there is a long way to go but it sounds like you have reason in your family and flying to do so.

I'm sure I am not alone in saying that you have friends on here in the meantime.

Best wishes

B

Union Jack
26th Jan 2011, 11:45
Vfrrider481

The physical and emotional demands of the last 2 or 3 days have left me feeling drained, but I hate going to bed because my mind wanders back to thinking about my predicament.

Having had a couple of scares myself in the last few years, one in a not too different area from your own, and only cleared from the other a few days ago, I sympathise deeply with what you, and your family, must be going through at the present.

That said, I can't tell you how impressed I am by how openly and eloquently you have described your situation - as it happened . That can't have been easy and you deserve the highest praise for your very positive approach at a very tough time.

In addition to all the other angles you are looking at, may I also suggest that you have a look at http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/291990-b-gger-ive-got-cancer.html - much food for thought there, preferably not when you are trying to go to sleep!:)

Wishing you and your family all the best and, yes, there are a lot of people out there who don'yt know you but wishing you well, in every sense.

Onwards and upwards! :ok:

Jack

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2011, 22:03
I was so sorry to read the findings, and last night wondered just what I might say that would be of help. There is little I can say that has not been said so well in the two posts above. Everything they said is heartfelt from me as well.

I did look at some of the internet forums, and there does seem to be some long established chemotherapy drugs that are now giving some success with Cerebral Grade II, but it's such an advanced science that the layman can't really know the relevancy.

I put a link on here but I'm not at all happy about just relaying pages of data that haven't got the hospital/university stamp on them. For now I've removed the link, but will be pleased to receive a PM should you want to make contact. LR

vfrrider481
27th Jan 2011, 06:30
Folks,

Thankyou for the kind messages.

Ironically I managed to get quite a good night's sleep, but my overriding concern is one of not missing the surgical option boat.

I feel the current situation is that the medical team are trying to maintain a quality of life, however there is obviously a crossover point at which the more pressing concern becomes longevity of life itself. Beyond that there is the risk that the tumour grows to a point of becoming inoperable.

LR,

I'll drop you a PM purely because Grade 2 tumours are much harder to deal with by chemo, but at least I could discuss the option with people who have the knowledge to consider viability.

I'm looking to go back to work because the risk is that without pushing myself it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Likewise I have only just started a 10 month long Open University course and I am keen to achieve a new academic qualification.

I did go for a slow run last night and whilst I felt better for doing it, I also felt a little light headed on finishing. It could be the start of new symptoms, but I suspect it's the aftereffects of having a hole drilled in my head some 10 days ago. It's noteable that often you would be prescribed steroids to reduce swelling of the brain, but I haven't had any. It may just be that my own mechanisms haven't fully recovered from the minor surgery. Well here's hoping anyway........................

Kind regards again,
VFR

teresa green
2nd Feb 2011, 11:18
In Australia we have just had a Wallaby return to training after going down the same track. If he can go back into a ruck, you can go back onto a flight deck. Hang in there young fella.:D

vfrrider481
8th Feb 2011, 06:38
Teresa,

Thanks for the optimistic and supportive post.

I have to say, each day seems a little more bearable than the previous one. The analogy with a roller coaster ride seems to be very accurate as I must admit I'm apprehensive about next week with my appointment with the radiologist/oncologist due.

That's the first point where we may have a decision about the treatment. I've been having some mild headaches in the mornings and evenings in the vacinity of the lesion and whilst they may be stress related I also feel desperation in seeking treatment.

My wife used the description of a ticking time bomb which I consider most unhelpful when trying to be positive, but none the less rears it's head as an unwanted emotional response when waiting for some treatment. Indeed the treatment may well make me feel awfully ill, but the emotional trauma waiting for the next step is absolute agony.

I am wondering at what point it's worth updating the CAA. I figure it's early days and they will be keen to hear from the medical professionals after treatment, but thus far they haven't said no yet, just a suspension of medical and advice about needing to submit reports to them through my AME. All we have thus far is a diagnosis, and whilst an important piece of information it's of little value until we know how effective the treatment is....

Regards,
VFR

the dean
8th Feb 2011, 15:11
Hi VFR,

Every now and again, comes a story worth reading. I stopped in the middle of a busy day to read yours. ....

Apart from the trauma and uncertainty that you have faced, the disappointment of not flying I can sense...though your family and health come first.

I wish you the very best and pray for a positive outcome.:ok:

I shall follow your fortunes...

beany
8th Feb 2011, 18:15
VFR,

I hope next week comes around soon for you and that it proves to be a positive step forwards. I know you said that you're waiting for info regarding chemotherapy as well so I guess that's still pending?

I can't imagine how stressful it must be for all of you at home. I hope that you are managing to take some time to relax as much as possible and spend some quality time together with your girls.

I am a very strong believer that attitude and state of mind play a huge part in illness and I know it it an easy thing to say but try to stay positive.

I suppose you should just update the CAA when there is something to update them with. The more firm information you can give them, the better opinion they would be able to give you in return. Keep your AME in the loop, I'm sure they would appreciate that and it's another avenue of support for you too.

I hope all goes well for you next week.

Best wishes

B:)

vfrrider481
9th Feb 2011, 19:25
The Dean, Beany,

A quick thank you as quite simply I had no idea whether anyone had been down the road I am travelling, nor whether anybody would be interested in following such a journey.

As with many things in pprune land there are a great many who read out of interest and I'm honoured that you feel my ramblings are worth reading. Everyone will face their own challenges in life be they medical, training or just life itself. In a way the mere existence of this thread is a sign of my positivity to achieve my ambitions. 6 weeks ago I was feverishly applying for first officer positions with the hope of attaining my first paid flying job and was 20% of the way through a flight instructors course. The goalposts have moved greatly in a fashion which I suspect few can comprehend.

You are of course right that health and family are the priority, a fact not lost on me when I get the opportunity to read with my daughters or receive hugs from them. The flip side is that ambitions can provide a strong source of motivation in their own right. The fact that the CAA haven't completely ruled out a return to flying gives me one more aspiration. Whilst one must always be mindful of the difficulties in travelling any given path, one must not become fixated on the negatives. Whilst there is hope you must pursue it with vigour, but not in blind panic. Decisions still need to be made with clarity and due consideration.

One of the most significant challenges is not to allow emotions to become dominant. The internet is an amazing resource, but one must always temper that access to information with the care to ensure misleading information is filtered out. Even then that accurate information may still be depressing and demotivating. It is the msot dangerous of loaded guns if approached with uncontained emotion as you run considerable risks of confirmation bias.

It has been a deeply humbling experience to see distress and upset in colleagues eyes. I can talk candidly about my illness now, but at first it was impossible to do so without crying. I can fight drunks, deal with fatal road crashes, distress and huge trauma, but explaining incurable illnesses to people you care about is deeply distressing to the extreme. Or at least it was for me. I'm currently employed as a police officer and it was amazing for a colleague of my wife's (whom I have never met) who is a police officer in a different force to approach her and mention he was thinking of me and offering his support, such has the news spread!

It reminds me on a daily basis just how little we understand of the footprints we leave behind us in our lives and it goes some way to indicating to me the stress and upset that those close to me must be going through. My wife is a truely amazing person and whilst I have a personal battle, I admire her strength and courage because if I were in her position I would be terrified.

I have much to be grateful for with an early diagnosis, minimal symptoms and an excellent medical team, so all things considered I have a positive and optimistic outlook. The end result may be one that I can't ultimately avoid, but I can certainly delay it for some considerable time, years if not decades.

The biggest indecision is whether to get a new motorcycle or a caterham after treatment and once I get my driving licence back. Then we can look at aircraft again:ok:

VFR

teresa green
11th Feb 2011, 06:25
Hang in there young fella, you have mates everywhere. From the brotherhood of the sky. We are gunning for you. Like I said we have a Wallaby return to the squad, with the same thing, only he has to stick his head in a scrum. You only have to put a headset on.

Smeagels Boyfriend
11th Feb 2011, 22:47
I had the Gamma Knife treatment at Thornbury Hospial in Sheffield for a type of benign brain tumour just yesterday (10th Feb). Still in alot of pain due to the frame but the CAA have told me that i will be off work for 2 months then i will be able to return to work with an OML (operational multi crew limitation). It was discovered in October and after they had all the info they returned my medical with an OML.

I had no symptoms whatsoever and was lucky as it was found incidentally following an MRI on my Cervical Spine. I would like to say the CAA were
excellent in my case and very very helpful.

Keep your chin up and give the CAA all the information relating to your case.
I was very surprised to also hear that even with surgical intervention (which is next for me of the Gamma Knife doesn't work) will also have a 2 month grounding period.

It is not a nice thing to experience and if you want to chat in private please feel free to PM me.

Best wishes and stay positive

vfrrider481
15th Feb 2011, 20:06
SB,

Excellent news and good luck with the recovery. I'll certainly get in touch if I need a more confidential chat. Likewise it's hgeartening to hear about the CAA being supportive. The only bit which concerns me is I have yet to get my first airline job and thus I am only qualified in single pilot aircraft at the moment. Becomes a bit of a pain if they declare me with a multi crew limitation as I'm not sure how I would renew a single pilot multi instrument rating.:confused:

I also have a few concerns about how prospective employers might view me with a grade 2 glioma as part of my medical history.

As an aside it's getting a bit nervy at the moment as I'm off to see the radiologist on Thursday.

It has to be said that just when you think you can't be kicked any lower, my morning walk to get the bus to work has been hampered by an onset of sciatica!!!! Oh well roll on Thursday when we can finally look at how we go abvout treatment. I'm also getting used to a healthier diet, no alcohol and more fruit.........

Self inflicted that bit, but every little bit helps.

Regards,
VFR

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2011, 00:46
If the IR is anything like it was, you'll be with the examiner, so that will take care of multi-crew I would have thought.

Sciatica? Take care of the old back, and don't sit upright for hours. That's the time for the highest disc pressures. Keep it warm.

If it gets tedious, post on that as well.

All the best for Thursday. LR

mphysflier
16th Feb 2011, 01:30
VFR, you speak much truth in your post above regarding maintaining a positive outlook and rational decision-making, it will stand you in good stead as you follow the treatment path. Fingers crossed for the meeting tomorrow, if you can I would suggest you take someone with you to make notes if necessary as you may have to absorb a fair bit of information in a short space of time. If you're being looked after by a major teaching hospital it may also be worth enquiring about relevant clinical trials too, as there are a few out there (although not necessarily appropriate for your particular diagnosis/staging) and they represent the most up-to-date approaches to treatment.

SB, I'm off to have a stickybeak at the first Australian Gammaknife unit in a couple of weeks - it's a very expensive and impressive piece of equipment with a good track record over many years (and Sheffield was the first one in the UK).

Best wishes
mphysflier :8

the dean
16th Feb 2011, 13:28
VFR......Good luck tomorrow....:ok:

vfrrider481
16th Feb 2011, 14:23
Folks,

I am really grateful for the advice and more importantly the support. I am researching clinical trial extensively but thus far the bulk of the work appears to relate to the more aggressive relations of my illness.

I am equally optimistic and in trepidation of tomorrow. The biggest pain thus far has been waiting around and hopefully tomorrow will provide a little relief of being the first stage in the long route to treatment.

I have no idea what to expect, and indeed in many ways that will be beneficial as I will have no preconceptions. As my meeting is with a neuro-oncologist I will raise the prospect of clinical trials with them. One hopes they will be a little more aware of medical developments than my aimless flailing on the internet!

Once we have a better picture of what is going on, then I will be better armed to update the CAA. It has to be said I still live in hope that one day I may be able to get into the right hand seat of a passenger carrying aircraft and be paid for the joy of it. My view point on life has been skewed massively from that I had some 6 weeks ago, and not all of that process is negative. Understanding the value of life itself is a reward that few will truely ever realise until it's too late. It's easy to say "life is for living" but how many of us actually understand that and live our lives accordingly?

Kind regards all,
VFR

beany
16th Feb 2011, 17:37
All the very best for tomorrow.

B :)

vfrrider481
18th Feb 2011, 13:57
What a mixed day.......

We saw the neuro-oncology registrar and had a long chat about radiotherapy, side effects and so on. Just about to sign the consent form when the consultant neuro-oncologist comes in and..............a complete U turn!

Having worked myself up for yesterday my head's all over the place. In summary though......

We only have one snap shot MRI of the tumour, very limited symptoms for the location of the tumour and a biopsy confirming the cell structure as a grade 2 astrocytoma. The radiology is a one shot treatment which will stun the growth of the tumour, but quite rightly the consultant points out, "what's the point of stunning something if it's not actually growing?". He has a point and a good one at that, but the thought of doing nothing whilst waiting for the next MRI is really quite scary as a prospect.

As a positive, I'm quite sure he wouldn't risk a life threatening situation through inaction and I can at least take solace from the fact that he obviously thinks it's either static or very slow growing. This is supported in my experience by the lack of further development of the symptoms. they are there, but they don't seem to be getting worse either in frequency or strength.

As part of the watching brief, I'm now booked in for an MRI, EEG, opthalmic assessment and neurological assessment. I assume this is so we can form our baseline from which we can watch for developments.

I don't know whether to be happy or not. Subconciously I desperately want treatment, but I'm aware that not needing treatment yet can only be a good thing. In the mean time work won't let me do anythiong through fear, and the delays in treatment will surely delay my attempts to seek a resolution from the CAA.

Oh well, I have bought a really swish computer for my flight simulator games now and I've got lots of time for my Open University course.

Regards,
VFR

G_STRING
18th Feb 2011, 18:03
Hi VFR

I've been actively following your very interesting, elegant and personal thread since the beginning, and have been very much hoping for a positive outcome for you.

I think what you've just heard IS a positive outcome, watching and waiting is a 'treatment' of sorts in various types of cancer diagnosis. As you state, the team treating you would not go down this road if they perceived a threat either to your life, or to your long term prognosis.

Your reaction of wanting active treatment is one that I can understand - and have seen before. In your own mind, you are then hitting the disease straight in the face, as opposed to taking a more inactive/passive stand against it.

Sometimes in situations like yours, an active watch is all that is required, the disease doesn't always progress, but stays static. If this is the case, (and I hope it is), the active watch will actually BE your treatment, not a delay in it.

With view to the CAA, I believe that they accept certain forms of tumour watching as passive treatment, and allow the person to keep / regain their medical, on the condition that they are informed should a further treatment situation arise, on which the medical may be suspended. (I think prostate cancer is a case of issue for watch and wait accepted by the CAA).

So, please don't give up on the CAA with regards to the medical. Don't let the situation grind you down, (easy for me to say, I know).

All the very best of luck

beany
22nd Feb 2011, 07:13
VFR,

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on.

It sounds as though you're awaiting a thorough assessment wrt the investigations you're waiting for. Is the aim to review your treatment plan with the results of these tests?

I hope there's not too much of a wait for you.

B

the dean
22nd Feb 2011, 15:39
Ok...VFR...something is something....

Still here with ya......:ok:

teresa green
28th Feb 2011, 11:11
Keep posting mate, we are all thinking of you. Down under here, we have just about had anything you could throw at us arrive in the last couple of months, from floods, to cyclones and to finish it off a earthquake of dreadful proportions. As much as Aussies and Kiwis blue over Rugby, we are mates when the chips are down, and that's what it is all about is it not, mates and support. We have lost a lot of people in the last eight weeks, and it makes you realise just how fragile we all are. But none of us are alone, only if you want to be, remember that, and good luck for your recovery.

vfrrider481
1st Mar 2011, 11:12
Thanks all,

The next few weeks are unlikely to yield many developments as much of it will be taken up with poking and prodding. In the mean time, I am amazed at the human mind's resolve and it's ability to rationalise and deal with difficult situations.

Since my story started a work associate of my wife's has been told her husband has a brain tumour. Whilst my wife doesn't know the exact type or severity, it appears he has been having fits for some time and the medics were treating him for epilepsy. Obviously at some point either an MRI was done as part of the investigations into epilepsy or the medication was not working. Either way the situation has resulted in a later diagnosis than for myself. It's not automatically a poor prognosis as it really does depend on the type, size and location of the tumour. From all of this though I have huge sympathies for the families of those involved but also for the medics who often have to link apparently inoccuous pieces of a jigsaw together in a world where money is an object. I genuinely believe that given the financial means any migraine/epilepsy/visual disturbance patient would be given a routine MRI or CT scan but the decisions are clinically based within a budgeted framework. A challenge I do not envy, particularly given the potential guilt one could saddle ones self with in a late diagnosis.

I have discovered 2 things over the last couple of weeks. In the UK we are truely blessed with the NHS. It's not perfect by any means and poor decisions both clinically and managerial still exist. But don't kid ourselves that those problems disappear completely in the private sector. The care and treatment I have thus far received I could not afford elsewhere and has been provided by professionals for whom I hold the utmost respect.

The second thing is that for the vast majority of us, there is often someone who is worse off. It can be seen in this country without looking to developing nations, and one must be thankful for the good things we have. Money, sexual prowess and promotions are not important other than to massage one's own ego. Friends (true friends that is), family and health are important, undervalued and often taken for granted.

It's important to look forwards because we can't change the past but we can enjoy new challenges.

I'll update soon when I have more news,
VFR

vfrrider481
2nd Mar 2011, 18:33
Folks,

After some advice before I see the docs on Monday. In essence there is great optimism about the idea that my tumour could be slow growing and sufficiently slow at that, that we hold a watching brief and medicate to reduce the risk of seizures.

Can anyone advize if the have experience of the CAA's acceptance or otherwise of anti seizure medication.

I haven't had a seizure since late November, but I am unnerved about the fact that my relatively optimistic news could be undone simply by the prescription of medication. I suspect they may not be keen because the administration of the medicine implies that my specialists have concerns over seizures ergo there is an underlying risk of immediate incapacitation ergo what happens if I miss a tablet or the medication simply doesn't work.

I wonder if there is a distinction between epilepsy and the suceptibilities to mild seizures due to brain tumours.

Any suggestions welcomed,

VFR

vfrrider481
8th Mar 2011, 19:56
Folks,

Just a quick update and an associated question with it.

Due to my episode last year I saw the epilepsy doctor yesterday. My EEG has come back with no problems and they have assured me the area where my lesion is is not normally associated with a significantly increased risk of seizures.

They have asked for a further sleep deprived EEG to establish a baseline for my susceptibility to seizures which in all honest makes me quite nervous. It seems a bit like poking a snake with a stick to see if it bites! In essence if that comes back negative we have some compelling evidence that the risk of further seizures is low dependant on the growth of the tumour.

The problem however is that the doctor wants to put me on anticonvulsant medication which I suspect knocks the class 1 into touch regardless of the ailment issues. Are there any friendly AME's out there who can confirm or allay my fear? The medication in question is Lamotrigine. The personal dilema is that as much as I want to fly, the medical stuff is far more important.

Yet again, one wonders why did such an awful disease choose me, and why now? Indeed I am quite sure there are others with equally difficult predicaments, but the timing couldn't have been more cruel. The optimism of life is countered by the dashing of dreams on the rocks in many cases and one wonders why it has to be.

the dean
9th Mar 2011, 15:18
Of course, you are entitled to ask those questions VFR...anyone would in your situation...and probably many times over.....

The courage you have shown and the clarity with which you have told your unfolding story I am sure has been and will be an inspiration to many who may be in or have yet to face similar.....

I am sorry I cannot assist in answering your query...but I am sure you will get replies...

Stay positive..( I know, I am sorry, thats easy for me to say)...and keep us advised.......:ok:

ThreeHolerHauler
10th Mar 2011, 18:44
Hi there VFR.

I stumbled on your story this evening and I too am rooting for you. Three years ago I was happy in my dream job flying CRJs for a regional carrier in South Africa when I too was diagnosed with an uninvited pax in my head. Mine was a large pituitary adenoma, and thus not as scary as yours. It still rocked my world though. I'm not going to bore you with the details of my story, but what I would like to say is the following:

Your positive attitude shines through in all your posts, and believe me, that is more important than anything. Hang on to that, because once you lose it, it is a hard slog to get it back.

As I am a fan of straight answers, I will be straight with you. The South African CAA is very similar to the British CAA, and ours do not like seizures. Nor do they like any drugs that may have an effect on mental functioning.
During your biopsy, your dura would have been penetrated. Over here that means a two year grounding, regardless of other factors. This is due to the possibility of CSF leaks, infection and haemorrhaging.

So why am I telling you this. I had to learn the hard way that when it comes to brain tumours, patience is very important. Beat the tumour. Then start thinking about your medical. Otherwise it may drive you nuts.

On the positive side. Getting your medical back is a real possibility. What I have found over here, is that the CAA and its associated medical panel have started becoming more accommodating. Where, in the past, they have been stringent followers of protocol, they are becoming more and more willing to consider individual cases based on their merits. This I believe is in line with international trends. There has also been talk of considering a restricted class 1 medical. One which specifies multi-crew only and no possibility of PIC. Career FO in other words.

So, don't lose hope. Be patient. Get well first! Keep busy! And stay positive. We are a special breed and no-one outside of the game really understands what it means to us. So keep in touch with your collegues and pilot friends. Stay active in the industry. I became a volunteer with ALPA just to stay in the circle. Do not procrastinate, and most importantly, forgive yourself for being ill! It is not your fault. There is no reason. It just happened. Now walk through it!

Just my 5 cents worth.

vfrrider481
17th Mar 2011, 19:39
Guys,

Thanks for the wise words. It is strange how much one can gain from talking and more important listening about events and challenges that one faces.

As an update, I have written to the CAA following a conversation with my AME to update them as to my situation.

We wait with baited breath....

beany
19th Mar 2011, 22:32
Fingers crossed for you VFR!

B :)

Escape Path
21st Mar 2011, 04:58
Guys,

Thanks for the wise words. It is strange how much one can gain from talking and more important listening about events and challenges that one faces.

As an update, I have written to the CAA following a conversation with my AME to update them as to my situation.

We wait with baited breath....

Thanks again,

VFR

Do keep us in touch please :)

Best of luck!

vfrrider481
21st Mar 2011, 18:24
Thanks guys,

Had yet another MRI today to assess progress/rate of growth. The result will hopefully be indistinguishable from the pictures some 3 months ago. Here's hoping anyhow.

I am hoping the CAA consider me for a restricted class 1, with a multi crew restriction and possibly more frequent medicals and possibly frequent MRI scans. After all if you don't ask you, don't get!

the dean
22nd Mar 2011, 10:57
Hi VFR....Hope your news is good.:ok:

vfrrider481
16th Apr 2011, 21:47
The waiting goes on and on. Spoke to the CAA the other day who confirmed my letter was with an aeromedical assesor so 8 have everything crossed.

As an aside, a week Thursday is a huge day, it's results day 2 and we see if there has been any growth identifiable from the last 3 months.

Thanks all for your support.

Loose rivets
17th Apr 2011, 12:37
The waiting must be so difficult. So little we can say, but we'll be popping in regularly to see how things are going. Best of luck for Thursday week.

Smeagels Boyfriend
18th Apr 2011, 23:52
vfrrider,

Best of luck for Thursday. It certainly sounds like you are keeping your spirits high and so you should. As i said before in my experience the CAA have a very sensible view on brain tumours. In my case once all the reports were in from the my neurosurgeon and neurologist getting my medical back happened in days and it was just two months after my procedure to cut off the blood supply to the tumour. My medical does have an OML for a period of two years but it is possible to retain a class one medical after a tumour so keep on going.

Good luck!!!

the dean
3rd May 2011, 14:13
Hey there VFR...we do'nt seem to have heard from you in some time.

Whats your news....??

vfrrider481
5th May 2011, 12:49
The Dean and all,

Apologies for the delay in updating, however I have just had a few days holiday to absorb the interim news.

Medically the scan came back reporting a stable lesion ie. no appeciable growth or changes. It does go some way to validating the unnerving treatment plan of watch and wait.

Unfortunately, I had the mother of all migraines the other week, lasting some 48 hours complete with visual disturbances and loss of part of my peripheral vision on the right hand side. This loss was most apparent as I kept banging inito things on my right hand side. Some things wern't even that small, including tables, chairs and the like.

Quite the unnerving and disturbing experience all told. Indeed after several weeks of feeling much happier, it feels very much like a backwards step. It's all the more upsetting as I should be training for the Great North Run, but now I am nervous about both training and the event should I suffer further set backs.

A quick trip to the GP and I feel much more human after a few days, but I have no idea what the long term implications of this may be.

The CAA have requested a report from my neuro-oncologist, so I shall forward that request on to him in the coming days with an appropriate covering letter. I am going to pitch for a restricted class 1 with a restriction of multicrew only to see what happens next.

Again apologies for the lack of updates but the medical merrygo round has been spinning quite fast over the last 2 weeks.

Kind regards,
VFR

Loose rivets
5th May 2011, 18:35
Thanks for the update.

Firstly, in many of my posts about Classical Migraine, I've suggested long, deep-seated worry to be the cause in many cases. (Stress seems to come way down the list, though I wouldn't discount it.)

You certainly have had a protracted period of profound worry.

The 'Aura' of migraine is often understated in the extreme. Total loss of part of your vision might well be attributable migraine alone.

However, the area of 'visual numbness' did tally with the area of your problem, but this might be nothing more than coincidence. It may seem like wishful thinking, but it's a fact. I know for certain one patient who lost the right third of their visual field for some minutes. It progressed into a 'normal' migraine, and there's been no recurrence for many years.

There are numerous permutations of possibilities, but for now I feel you need to work hard at compartmentalizing your issues, and to some extent accepting that the road ahead is going to be far from plain sailing.

Assuming it was 'just' a migraine. In an attempt to eliminate the distressing symptoms, it's vital to lift that burden of worry.

It would be ridiculous tell you to not to worry, but you have to think as positively as possible. The skilled support team working for you, and the slow nature of the problem - two major factors in your favor - would be a good starting place.

Escape Path
10th May 2011, 22:03
I am going to pitch for a restricted class 1 with a restriction of multicrew only to see what happens next.

Let us know about that process. I'm sure there are lots of people interested.

Best of luck to you and keep your thoughts positive!

vfrrider481
11th May 2011, 12:03
EP,

No problems, the letter from the CAA has gone on to the consultant neurosurgeon for his report. I have added a covering letter to explain a little more about what I am looking for from the CAA so hopefully he can focus on that area.

LR,

I'm no psychologist, but certainly a key factor in recent events is stress. The results of the stress can obviously manifest in several ways, and I suspect the migraine was one such manifestation. I appreciate the need to compartmentalise my issues, however I feel I need to make a little distinction.

Some of my posts have been written in an open and slightly raw manner. As a result the reflection is very much the acute feelings or sensations at the time the post was written. In the long term, the weather is much brighter that the short term squalls might imply. My focus in the intial days highlighted family, finances, health etc. Now many of these areas have been worked upon between me and my wife and are in stable and comfortable place.

With every checkup, scan or appointment there is obviously a blip in the stress level, but these very rapidly ease. My focus over the last 8 weeks has shifted from the what if...over to lets find out what I can do. The intial barrage from work and healthcare professionals reinforces a very negative viewpoint with "you can't do x,y,z..." I have set myself challenges looking forwards of completing an open univeristy qualification which I am part way through; working through the medical situation with the CAA; looking at roles outside of my current employment in the police that interest me should aviation not be available; and finally, and much more importantly looking for opportunities to enjoy life with friends and family.

My thoughts months ago obviouly looked at short term issues, but these days look at years. All of this is much easier of course when not feeling ill.

As far as compartmentalisation goes following that little lot, I wouldn't really know how to do so, but then every road with illness is different for every individual I suspect.

The future isn't orange, but it's certainly mine for the taking. Oh and most of my vision has come back over the last few days, but at least I have an insight as to what may come, hopefully many years into the future,

Kind regards,
VFR

Loose rivets
11th May 2011, 14:11
In the long term, the weather is much brighter that the short term squalls might imply.

That's a good analogy. From time to time I think most people's lives can be likened to flying through a storm. One just has to focus on the time you pop out into clear air.

Well, it sounds as though you couldn't possibly do more. That really is a positive outlook.

Again, all the best.

LR

the dean
12th May 2011, 11:24
Thanks for the update VFR....

Continued good wishes....:ok:

BWBI
12th May 2011, 12:06
VFR,

I am a Retired Police Officer and you don't seem to mention receiving any support from within "The job " or Federation which surprises me. I do hope you and your family are receiving support?

I am now flying on a NPPL having suffered a TIA stroke 2 years ago. I do hope you manage to fly as I know how desperate you feel when it is suddenly taken away from you and I was only doing it as a hobby!

We are all routing for you within and outside the job I am sure!

Escape Path
13th May 2011, 01:28
I share my opinion with that of Loose rivets and the analogy is just spot on. The greener grasses (or the blue skies) will come. You seem to be taking this all too well and that's a good thing.

As always, keep it up!

Best of luck... really :ok:

Ed

vfrrider481
20th May 2011, 07:48
BWBI,

Many thanks for your help re: the police.

I have to be honest and report that the Federation have been excellent, and my local management and occy health in the force have been very good. I am seeking an ill health retirement, whether I'll get it I don't know. The support is there for me to use as required, I just haven't needed much thus far. Certainly they were excellent when I had my diagnosis and minor op they were very supportive.

As an aside would you mind pm'ing me, I could do with a chat over how you got back to a DVLA class 1 medical/NPPL declaration should the CAA not be able to return my medical status?

Many thanks,
VFR

BWBI
21st May 2011, 21:22
Hi VFR,

Yes certainly I will PM you in the next couple of days. I am glad you are getting support from "The Job " it's the best family in the world, second only to your own of course!

teresa green
31st May 2011, 11:15
Hi VFR, just to let you know I have not forgotten you and gunning for you from OZ. When all this is over, come on over for some sun and surf, will do you and the family wonders. Good luck mate.

vfrrider481
10th Jun 2011, 08:44
Folks,

Firstly thanks for the continued interest and support.

As a brief update, my neurosurgeon is in the process of considering his report for the CAA. He is not an aviation specialist although he has done quite a bit of work with the DVLA over driving issues, so I can assume he is well versed in the issues of % chances of incapacitation and the risk management associated with neurological ailments.

I still have fingers and toes crossed, and I have to say I would even consider being restricted to being a cruise pilot at this time!! :eek:

BWBI,

Thanks for your PM. I have looked into the DVLA medical guidance which relates to NPPL and the guidance is more restrictive for brain tumours than for TIA's. As a result, I strongly suspect that any licence utilising DVLA class 1 or 2 medical standards will limit me to solo or flights with qualified pilots only.

Thanks for your help and congrats on your achievment.

Kind regards,
VFR

BWBI
12th Jun 2011, 23:52
Hi VFR,

Thanks for the congrats and like you say any flying is better than nothing at all ( especially after my AME told me that I would never fly again! )

I only persisted with the class 2 NPPL Medical ( To be able to take non pilot passengers ) because my Partner flies with me and on occasions my daughter and friends who all know my medical background!

I find most people just want to fly local and overfly their house and not much more so it's no big deal unless you have someone who is especially keen to fly with you regularly.

I still fly solo most of the time and with my Partner to local non stressful airfields or those further away if I know them well where we can either have a meal which is only a Taxi ride away or on occasions even stay overnight for a bottle of wine with the meal! It's just a different type of flying to what I did before and it is surprising what is to be seen only a short distance from some airports even those close to home which I would never have ventured outside in the past!

On occasions I have been approached by people who do not know my medical background who have asked me to take them flying and I find that can be difficult as to what you say to not scare them off totally!

I guess if you asked most folk if they would rather fly with a Pilot who has had a TIA or one with a brain tumor they would probably say the latter! I guess some would say neither but that's down to them! It's all things to think about when you get back flying again?

It sounds like you are doing all the correct things and I am sure if you remain positive with your Consultant and your own Doctor concerning your flying that at the very least you will get the Class 1 NPPL medical. If the very worst happened and a medical was out of the question sort out a QFI to fly with you thus negating the need for a medical. I know several Pilots at my airport who fly out regularly to places for a meal and the older instructors love it and I am sure some Private deal is struck over the finance!

Even if you never make Flying as a living at least you will still have all the support of the "job " behind you which will take some worries away I am sure.

Go well and keep us updated as to how things go as the issues you are facing with your flying could easily apply to any of us, I know Ive got the T shirt!

vfrrider481
21st Jun 2011, 19:35
BWBI,

Can you run a copy of the T shirt off for me please :\

You are of course right that friends and relatives will potentially ask for rides and the key for me is that my medical will prove to be the restriction.

Some flying is better than none having come this far, although those who see me would struggle to identify anything untoward from physical appearance. I feel fine which makes the frustrations all the more considerable.

I am seeking a medical retirement from the police. Whilst the role has inbuilt security, it comes with the penalty of shifts/quality of life and in reality I want to do things I enjoy for as long as I can.

Commercial flying's door is not closed yet so I will beligerantly keep trying to get through until some bugger locks it on me. Alongside I'll keep checking the NPPL door.

In some ways I would be reluctant to carry passengers as the sole pilot on board as it's a great responsibility which many seem to underestimate the importance of.

In any case, thanks for the positive messages of support,

VFR

afhelipilot
28th Jun 2011, 04:15
I used to work in a cancer field with the professionals and we also used to deal with the aviation cases. And I think you have chances awaiting ahead of you only try to stay positive. I think you are very brave. And me too I was very s with the airlines at the interview and etc,,, only what I got aware of really is a fact that I have a tendency to panic and was supposed to take a 1st Medical Test as well, and had an appointment scheduled, and was supposed to meet with my capt brother. But, just two days before taking off for the 1st Medical Test as had promised myself , I had confused the date of the departure and now must take a 1st Medical Test again. I know now what lost me on that particular day I thought about one interview with the airlines I was su, but as mentioned I have a tendency to panic, so I thought that I can join but with one American older capt who was about to lose a job, like with him everywhere, that what I had really believed at a time, and thought about it so much that I had m,,, the dates of the departure. . Since someone asked why him and etc on email? So I said why not? What I am aware the most is that I really panic for no reason, in Europe maybe not in London with my aunt never at her appartment but here too often,,, perhaps at constant. I was also busy with Oxford studies and never came for a 1st Medical Test. Before you will attempt to take a 1st Medical Test, just try to relax, read some nice books, go for a walk, just think about the things or places you really had enjoyed. Think about your close friends. Do not let yourself to fall into a nostalgia for no reason, there are always some doors open ahead only you must be positive and follow a path. That what I can say , me too I must take this 1st Medical Test before going further again, what is losing me is a panic which causes heart problems. Once I passed it and felt ok.If I will know something further will let you know about your cancer situation. Just please relax.

vfrrider481
28th Jun 2011, 18:29
Afhelipilot,

Thankyou for your remarks. I am fortunate in being quite level headed and so a positive outlook is easy to maintain and it's fortunately not a panic situation.

I am fortunate to have passed the class 1 medical standards both intially and for several years after, so I am in the system.

Now it's just about evidencing why I should retain my medical and allowing those who are responsible for safe flight to make a fully informed decision. In reality there is no luck, just a thorough decision making process which I can only hope finds in my favour.

Thanks again,
VFR

afhelipilot
1st Jul 2011, 09:00
I got in touch with a cancer field and aviation as we are related I used to deal with , as I took a little break off. Now, we will try to help you as much as we can supporting you emotionally as well in couple of days. Please do relax, please do not bother yourself with any disturbing messages or questions or any non related opinions since you are at the process of the recovery the most important one . I still need to take 1st Medical test again, and when I will be in Europe I will take it again and follow further path if I will not receive panic attacks. We will support you as much as we can. I could had left a message yesterday, but had spoken with aunt on a phone in London who is a fun of wimbledon games. The most important thing is that you are optimistic you are not left alone at all.

afhelipilot
5th Jul 2011, 07:30
There are medicines ( a first phase ones a new generation one) which started to be given to the patients with the turmour and alzheimer. I will ask more since cancer is still my field as took p.vacations. I will always let you know the new innovations. I am extremely delighted to hear your are in good medical hands so far and just few years older then me. This year I shall be in EUrope and shall take this 1st Medical test again. I was informed I can fly anyway. But, I panic so... so after being suc within the airlines I just waived my hand over it and relaxed at aun'ts appartment in London. Please post us your journey at anytime just at anytime. To fight with a cancer is to fight with a time. Please ignore any activities which can cause you feel dizzy or tired while undergoing a treatment, I want you to fly since I know what it means for a man and a father of two kids.

vfrrider481
22nd Aug 2011, 18:08
Folks,

Or at least for those still following this (if anyone is), a brief update.

The world seems to have stagnated over recent months with the medics quite happy to watch and wait.

I can only say that whilst that is the current treatment plan, I am more comfortable with the idea because it means there is no significant progression of the disease or symptoms.

What is more challenging is getting the medics to commit to a definative response for the CAA such that the CAA can then make their decision. Efforts are ongoing but plan B starts in a fortnight - off to college, aiming to gain entry for a degree in medicine, a second great love for which I never envisaged the opportunity until now.

It;s not all about bad news, it's about facing challenges.

Kind regards,
VFR

DJL88
24th Aug 2011, 10:31
VFR
I stumbled across your post today; it is very humbling reading about your experience and how you are feeling. I won’t say anything apart from keep up the positivity, it truly is inspiring.

AOB9
29th Aug 2011, 22:54
Like DJL88 I also just stumbled across your post. I've read it in it's entirety and I simply want to wish you the best of luck. I'm training for my PPL at the moment and absolutely love flying. But ,like you, I also have other interests and would follow one of these if I ever had to stop flying. I studied a Chemistry Degree with the Open University and it was a tremendous journey. I think you're a credit to yourself for being so positive and thank you for sharing your "story" for want of a better word.

vfrrider481
4th Oct 2011, 19:08
Bugger,

Restart the driving/nppl clock folks.

Just had a few episodes with flashing lights at the periphery of my vision. 9 months into an enforced abstenance from driving and thus NPPL, they count as seizures and so the DVLA restart the 12 month clock again! The DSVLA issue delays the driving licence with a direct knock on for the NPPL.

Given the events of the last 9 months, cruel would be an understatement.:ugh:

Anyhow, I am now an expert on public transport and hoping to get airborne again soon with a flying instructor.

Having completed the Great North Run for charity, I am looking to find a new challenge in hovering a helicopter. Onwards and literally upwards as they say.

Bugger and several expletives that could not be repeated on here. As an aside, the consultants have beed slow in formulating their report for the CAA, and this probably won't help.
so commercial flying looks highly unlikely now.

Never mind, hope all those that have followed my fortunes are well and always remain positive. Adversity is after all only a word, it'speople who make the future into history.

Plan B is however looking more hopeful as I am part way through an access to medicine course and applying for medicine at university to start 2012.

VFR

AOB9
4th Oct 2011, 20:11
Plan B is however looking more hopeful as I am part way through an access to medicine course and applying for medicine at university to start 2012.

Great to see you activating your alternate. I have also made a big change in my career recently, although not for medical reasons ( well actually for sanity reasons). Having been made redundant from the pharmaceutical industry I decided to return to my original career of Horticulture. I had studied a BSc whilst working in the Pharma industry, but during true and honest reflection I love working outdoors so I've started my own business (2 yrs ago now) and gone back to study Garden Design. My salary has been seriously cut and my lifestyle, in terms of material things, has also taken a hit. The payback?, I'm in control of many of my day to day decisions for the fist time in a very long time. It's a tough road and who knows what will happen in the next 12 months.

It's sad news that your clock has to be reset but I'm sure as an aviation enthusiast you will continue to fly even if it requires being accompanied. Best of luck with arranging your studies.
A

vfrrider481
28th May 2012, 11:45
Dear all,

Out of consideration for all of those who followed or made an input into this thread I thought I would let you all know what has happened over the last 8 months or so.

This thread started with me typing my thoughts from a hospital bed following a hole being bored in my skull for a needle biopsy and, as I will write in a moment, has resulted in a most unusual turn of events with an amazing level of support urging me on.

In previous posts I have described some of the highs and lows someone diagnosed with a brain tumour goes through. Words are a useful communication medium but rarely express emotion fully merely an indication of those emotions. The most damaging emotion in my personal opinion is one of despair which is a desperate state of affairs capable of becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. Many will preach the benefits of a positive mental attitude however it is an immeasurable and some would argue intangible element of medical prognosis or recovery.

Over the months, I came to accept the fact that I cannot be cured fully, however modern medicine is a marvellous thing and in many respects, I would rather know that I need to get on with my life (depsite despitea potentially life limiting condition), whilst some trudge along in ignorance of the value of life. One can moan about one's job or being unfortunate in life, a lack of money for luxuries or petty difficulties of life.

A life flying airliners is an aspiration for many and those that are already there will sing it's praises or moan about boredom or terms and conditions being eroded. I respect everyone's opinions, it is simply my viewpoint and expectations that have changed. Yes I would still have loved a career piloting holiday makers around but I can appreciate that life is not all about flying or piloting. It is right and proper to have aspirations but one must also understand the troubles life can impose through no fault of one's own actions. It is essential to appreciate that one person's hiccup is another's nightmare and not seeing one's family or a risk of redundancy can be traumatic for anyone but one must never lose sight of the context the problem is within.

With the correct determination one can achieve much. The saying that as one door closes another opens is valid in most occasions in my humble opinion is true.

I have now secured a place to start at medical school in September to train as a doctor. Merely getting into med school is an achievement many never achieve so I feel an exceptional sense of pride which will hopefully afford me the chance to develop myself and my skills whilst undertaking a new challenge. I have found that when faced with an insurmountable wall, one simply needs to look for an alternative route. It may not lead to the same destination as all roads do not lead to Rome but the destination can still be rewarding and fulfilling.

I have been given a great opportunity to learn the value of life, friends and family. I shall never achieve my intial target, ainitialy will experience the same for whatever reason but the biggest failing is to never try (within reason). It is not safe to take dangerous gambles and whilst I attained a fATPL, I did not spend £100K and so my losses have not been as significant. Much of my training was considered, budgeted and at each stage I reviewed my ability compared to costs and benefits. I have a friend who has huge debts 2 years after attaining a licence yet cannot get his first job. For those considering a carrer in aviaticareerrsue it but with full awareness of the risks. I have demonstrated the potential for the best laid plans to come unstuck. My instructors were always complementary of my flying skills and there was no doubt that I would achieve the necessary qualifications. The first job and family considerations were due to be the next challenges but I am now happy I never got that job. A CAA class 1 medical is limited in what it tests for so my advice would be not to spend money on training you which can't afford to lose.

People take driving for granted yet it is not a right but a privelege to be vaprivilegeith many things in life. I should be able to get my driving licence back and may be able to achieve an NPPL/LAPL eventually but I shall always look for the positives of life because anything else isn't beneficial.

I don't know if I will get to the end of my med school course, or qualify as a doctor or even how many years I will be relatively healthy for to help others, but I have a new target to look towards. Life is cotowardnd throws many unexpected twists and turns. Am I unlucky?

No. An ex work colleague, not much older than I, was diagnosed with throat cancer 6 months after my diagnosis and unfortunately passed away 2 months ago. I have opportunities he never had.

Live for today, not tomorrow.

Many thanks for your support,

VFR

Loose rivets
28th May 2012, 14:16
Thanks for posting an update. Certainly a surprising change of plans. I wish you the very best of luck.

R

It occurs to me that a mixture of medical and aviation knowledge, might be of special benefit in the aviation world.

fernytickles
28th May 2012, 17:23
Just came across this thread & read the whole way through.

WoW! Not only did you manage to get through the flight training to fATPL, you managed to do it without burying yourself up to your eyebrows in debt. You have two beautiful children & a beautiful wife. You are a cancer survivor. And now, inspite of everything you have had to deal with in the last 18 months or so, you have managed to be accepted for medical school?

You certainly don't let the grass grow under your feet :ok: You have so many reasons to be incredibly proud. How very lucky the medical profession will be to have you as part of the driving force behind saving peoples' lives & healing them.

Good luck with everything you do.

AOB9
28th May 2012, 22:05
Thanks for the update. You are a true inspiration and I, like many others have to constantly remind myself of how lucky I am when I feel let down by simple things in life. The fact is that (like you) we are all capable of taking a positive view of our situations but for some reason our default human nature is to see negative where there is clearly a positive. I would love to learn how we humans have come so far in evolution despite this default negative attitude.

I wish you luck in medical school and BTW I spoke to a pilot last week that just passed his IR check ride. He told me he life long passion for flying ended when he got his PPL. The constant expense, exams and check-rides have eroded this passion to the point that he now wishes he could just fly for fun...........and he hasn't got his first job yet.

Jason Burry
1st Jun 2012, 17:27
vfrrider481 (http://www.pprune.org/members/336635-vfrrider481),

It's great to hear an update from you, I'd followed your progress in this thread last year, and you are quite frequently on my mind. You're showing a wonderful attitude and outlook. It seems you're doing quite well right now, and that is great to hear.

Good luck in all your future endeavours, and may good health follow you for many years. Best wishes to you and your family.

Jason

teresa green
1st Jun 2012, 22:22
You have got what it takes mate. I wish you everything in your new career, and how much you will enjoying your flying, with a mate, now as a relaxation, instead of trying to earn a crust. Reaching the ripe old age of 74 I have learnt if nothing else, never give up. Onya Mate.

freshgasflow
4th Jun 2012, 07:06
One thing that has become hot in medicine is the transferring of cockpit resource management concepts to the medical world. There are organisations which teach such skills to medical staff. There is a BA Captain ? whose wife died to an poorly managed anaesthetic emergency. Instead of being angry at the medical community, he is teaching CRM to help prevent a similar mishap. Below is a link to an article . I am sure you can contact him and he may find a role for you. That way, your aviation knowledge will not be "wasted" .

The Captains name is Martin Bromiley

Here is an link to an article, though you will find plenty more on Google:

When surgery goes wrong: weighing up the risks - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/when-surgery-goes-wrong-weighing-up-the-risks-424288.html)

freshgasflow
4th Jun 2012, 07:24
Here is a link comparing anesthesia and aviation ....

Aviation and Anesthesia compared at How Equipment Works.com . For anesthesia staff, anaesthesia FRCA physics, nurse anesthetist CRNA, and Anesthesiology Board preparation. (http://www.howequipmentworks.com/physics/aviation_and_anesthesia/comparison/aviation_comparison.html)

vfrrider481
4th Jul 2012, 12:52
Freshgasflow, Cityflyer,

Many thanks for your posts.

I hadn't considered the combination of aviation and medicine much given the rapid and significant changes over the last 18 months. It makes complete sense and is an area that I would be keen to move towards on reflection. Indeed, whilst in the RN, I spent 6 months at the Institute of Aviation Medicine at Farnborough due to my tendancy to suffer from airsickness. It was a fascinating and little known department, particularly flying with an RAF test pilot and a US Air Force flight surgeon (one of the cleverest and most affable people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting).

I am currently helping out with a local Air Cadet Unit to maintain my aviation "fix" and hopefully to pass on my love of aviation to others.

The potential to take forwards my aviation passion and medical learning as a combined area is highly motivating, if several years away yet!

Oh, and whilst several Ppruners have been kind enough to use the word inspirational, I would thankyou but don't feel my efforts match such a strong word. The stresses of having a latent incurable tumour never go away but we all pop our clogs at some point and life is awesome for those willing to be proactive. The stability that the tumour currently displays is great but known to be finite and as such I can only pursue aspirations with the vigour known to someone who appreciates family and life itself.

kind regards to all and thanks for your support and positivity,

VFR