PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety disorder / Anxiety attacks

FlyKingfisher
14th Jan 2011, 04:28
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone has an idea whether people with history of anxiety disorder/anxiety attacks are allowed to fly (as pilots), with or without anti-anxiety medication (I affirm: anxiety NOT depression).

Are there any pilots who have developed anxiety disorder later during their career or have experienced anxiety attacks?

Any inputs would be valuable.

AvMed.IN
14th Jan 2011, 08:55
Well, to begin with anxiety could be situational, like facing an exam, or in military aviation par lance, may be before the first solo. Or else, it could be a trait, kind of a mother fussing over her child, even if the child is now grown up.

As far as medication is concerned, it is best avoided since it may affect the performance in flight, and as far as being anxious or being affected by anxiety is concerned, if it is known as to what causes anxiety, may be there could be other therapies that could help.

I assume you are in India, you could send me a PM, and may be I could be of some help to you.

zero1
17th Jan 2011, 16:26
In the UK you can fly with this condition on the NPPL with or without taking SSRI type drugs. However, you cannot obtain a class 1 or 2 medical if you are taking this type of drug. With respect to the class 1 & 2 you will need to provide a medical report detailing the condition and time clear of the condition.

Having said this EASA may allow the use of the drug post April 2012 but this is to be confirmed in the new medical standards...

As the previous post mention it all depends on the type of illiness you have whether it is an reactive form (stress etc) or endogenous (chemical imbalance within the brain) The first form can ususal be treated by CBT and the latter requires drugs.

First thing to do is get a medical review of the condition then a treatment plan. Good luck :ok: