PDA

View Full Version : Last chance to have a wander around the Ark Royal

NutLoose
13th Jan 2011, 22:50
Details here

Last chance to look around HMS Ark Royal - Portsmouth Today (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Last-chance-to-look-around.6688795.jp)

BOAC
24th Jan 2011, 07:49
Along with THOUSANDS of others I queued for hours in the bitter cold to see her yesterday. The ship was quite over-whelmed with the public response - one of the crew said they expected around 3000 on Saturday and got around 5000. I reckon Sunday must have been close to 6000. Queues everywhere on board for everything due to the numbers, but I hope SOMEONE in government takes note of the way we feel!

A sad day, but I'm glad I stuck it out. I never got to 'hoover' on board, but to stand on the strip at 300m looking up the ramp (and hoping no-one noticed my 'mental' accels etc:)) was good. The ship's Crew were brilliant in the cold and kept smiling. Thanks to all and farewell (temporarily) to a great name.

Not_a_boffin
24th Jan 2011, 09:44
Ditto - at least my two lads got to see the ship (and highly overexcited they were too!). Echo the sentiments on the crew & the weather - nothing too much trouble, even the poor b8gger showing off the firefighting kit on the flightdeck all morning with the ships bell getting rung every other minute by little uns. Also feel very sorry for the poor sods who probably missed out through late arrival, took us over an hour in the queue and we were there first thing (not good considering previous night's run ashore!)

Shame to see just how much had been stripped since return in December.

STANDTO
24th Jan 2011, 15:10
I can't believe that in my lifetime I have seen two Ark Royals decomissioned.

I am most definitely, getting old.