PDA

View Full Version : Become a pilot in Australia.

CX343
13th Jan 2011, 13:43
Hello everyone !

I am new here and eventhough I went through many interesting conversations, I haven't found any that could help me.

I'm just about to finish my theoretical ATPL in France, but in english. I was wondering if it was possible to pass all the flying licences in Australia with my french theoretical ATPL, in order to work in Australia in the future. I know the system isn't the same than in Europe, but I was asking myself if it was possible to ask for recognition of my qualifications.

I have the French and Australian nationalities so I won't have any problems working there.

I thank you in advance for your responses ! ;)

Happy landings !

redsnail
13th Jan 2011, 21:15
G'day,
You've got the major barrier out of the way. The right of abode. :ok:

You can only convert like for like. That is, theory exams only cannot be converted. So, if you have a CPL with EASA ATPL exams done, you can only convert your CPL. Not the ATPL exams. (so they will lapse eventually - unless you keep your IR (JAA one) current).

Any way, visit the CASA website for more specific (and accurate info).

Don't underestimate the CASA IR paper. It's not a box ticking exercise.

Being able to speak French will be a nice thing for if you end up flying scenics. :)

Good luck

CX343
14th Jan 2011, 08:49
Thank you so much for your time ! This was exactly the type response I was looking for :).
I will go and take a look at the CASA website.

Thanks again !

Piltdown Man
14th Jan 2011, 09:15
But I'm afraid that you'll find Australia probably has one of the greatest gluts of unemployed pilots in the World. So best of luck mate, you'll need it.

redsnail
14th Jan 2011, 10:09
This is true to a certain extent. However, I have seen bush/scenic pilot jobs advertised. This was unheard of "in my day".

Virgin Blue, Tiger and Jetstar are recruiting. That's going to make some space. :ok: