View Full Version : Text files not formatted properly in notepad

Tarq57
13th Jan 2011, 02:58
About 2 months ago I noticed a particular type of text file (Paychit) I receive as an attachment to an email every two weeks had changed its format: ie, the columns and normal spaces appear to have gone.

At the time I thought that maybe the employer had changed the layout of the chit, and did nothing.

They are hard to read, lacking the normal layout. Mrs Tarq's W7 computer has a normal view of them. Strange. Employer was phoned, and confirmed there had been no change.

Anyone know what might be the problem, or how to set notepad to its' default settings?

Ta very much.

Spitoon
13th Jan 2011, 05:03
There isn't much you can change in Notepad - it's really just a text editor. Use the full screen display area to avoid text flowing on to the next line. Change the word-wrap setting - there are only two options, on or off. (I would expect word-wrap off to be the best option.) If that doesn't work try changing to a simple and evenly spaced font so that spaces between characters doesn't change much. There's not much else to try.

Tarq57
13th Jan 2011, 05:14
Who'd have thought changing the font could un-fu## it so easily.
Now using Lucida Console, and the layout is as it should be.

Thanks muchly.:)

mixture
15th Jan 2011, 10:37
Tarq57,

One word.

Wordpad

Try that instead of Notepad, it's also pre-installed on your computer.

As spitoon said, notepad is plain text as simple as you get...... it's the Ryanair of the text editors. :E