PDA

View Full Version : Cool places in Florida

EGDR
11th Apr 2001, 01:38
I'm lucky enough to be hour building in Florida. Are there any airfields people out there can recommend to visit for the day , have a meal etc......

HellHole
11th Apr 2001, 03:09
I did some hour building in Florida a few (6)years back! 100hrs in 3 weeks. I didn't have much time to spend a whole day anywhere. I maxed about 13 hours flying some days!
Most airfields were very friendly & Cross City did a great bacon breakfast that you could order over the R/T! Any left overs given to the airport RazorBack. His name was Clarence!

Teroc
11th Apr 2001, 11:35
EGDR,
You'll be spoilt for choice. Get the little green book (i forget what its called but you'll find it in any FBO) with all the airport info in it and check out the facilities section...that'll tell you a lot, try and get a place with a large pilot shop on site as they have some great deals.
Some ones i'd recommend would be Occala(quiet enough, beautiful location and stinks of money), merrit island, west palm beach, clearwater, zephyr hills(purely for the girls in the fbo :) ) and of course you have to do the Shuttle tour, you wont be allowed land but you can do a direct approach to the shuttle landing runway down to 500 feet....excellent.
Have a great time over there and watch out for the military airspace..fecking Apache gunships. :)

Teroc

P.S. FBO stands for Fixed Base Operator - the people who look after the airport essentially, they usually have a little premises somewhere on the field

[This message has been edited by Teroc (edited 11 April 2001).]

juswonnafly
11th Apr 2001, 12:05
EGDR

Ft Pierce.........Tiki Restaurant.....good for lunch

Lakeland..........great for eve meal

Key West..........anywhere...great food....very nice open air place at the end of the high street overlooking the sea

Okeechobee........free coffee and very cheap fuel

Venice............nice restaurant (WW2 style) can't remember the name but they do get very busy!

Fill yer boots!

JWF :)

matelot
11th Apr 2001, 12:18
Try Kissimmee Municipal Airport (OFT) for hours building. The adjacent War Bird Museum is a very interesting tour, AND you can fly some (for a price!)

Cheers.

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

TipTop
11th Apr 2001, 17:57
You can get nice burgers in Titusville. Park your plane right outside.
You can also do the NASA tour from the air while you are there(long as you talk to them first of course).
Vero Beach has a restaurant.

Have fun...........

haamster
11th Apr 2001, 19:00
Cedar Key is a nice little spot. No facilities on the field, though. Call on the CTAF frequency and the local taxi will ask you if you need a ride into town. Park on the grass and the cab will pick you up at the plane. Go into town, have a bite, look at the trinkets and watch the pelicans fly. Quite relaxing.

BD

EDDNR
11th Apr 2001, 20:03
I second Cedar Key - great crab cakes. Shame they couldn't be washed down with a beer!

What happened to that wrinkly old woman that used to listen out for planes when you did a low circuit and drive up and collect you in her old car for small change?

Rod

ickle black box
11th Apr 2001, 20:05
Raytheon ramp at Tampa International, the best orange juice in the world, and it's free courtesy of their corporate hospitality.

ickle :)

EGDR
12th Apr 2001, 08:52
Cheers for those, I'll definately give them a quick buzz.

Anbody else got some more ??????

Captain Mainwaring
12th Apr 2001, 14:59
if you visit Okeechobee field, watch out when landing as the tyre marks on the runway have been known to move!
A 'friendly' alligator likes to sun himself on the runways!
Have fun !