PDA

View Full Version : Smaller UK cargo companies

igarratt
11th Jan 2011, 00:25
Please could I ask if anyone has any info on smaller UK cargo freight companies or if the market is dominated by the big boys these days.

I've been looking for smaller companies that do UK trips / ireland / scotland / islands etc using small prop aircraft, there is a nice little twin otter that comes into liverpool every now and again but hard to find out who operates it.
Also interested in Ad hoc cargo outfits.

my question is based on I'd like to work for a small company like this one day when I have enough experience but only at cpl IR stage and I'd like to approach some companies to see if I can gain some experience in the work and how they operate until I get more hours and things pick up.

I'm based mcr liverpool but would travel any location. Looking at manchester there seems to be lots of handling companies but only big boys when it comes to aircraft and aoc's

any information very much appreciated on companies or how the cargo market is set up ie if such small companies exist in the UK and even more appreciative of any contacts or links or possible ideas to gain experience of the cargo world

Many Thanks for any time and effort taken to reply.

SloppyJoe
11th Jan 2011, 03:36
http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/operatorlist.php?reg=Europe

One has a liverpool base but expect you know about them already as live there.

igarratt
11th Jan 2011, 11:11
Hi Joe thank you for the link

Yes emerald would have been perfect especially liked their fleet but from what I can tell Emerald turned in to Janes Aviation and now both are defunct.

If anyone has any positive info on trans euro air still operating be good to hear.

Many Thanks

AircraftOperations
11th Jan 2011, 22:40
If you know there are aircraft landing in Liverpool or Manchester whose operators you'd like to speak to, then find the registrations (spotters' websites or blogs) and trace the operators. Really easy to do in 30 minutes as most operators have a website with contact details on.

Bear in mind that many ad-hoc cargo aircraft flying around Europe are not based in the country where many flights operate from/to. Some chase the work and don't bring the a/c and crews back to base for some time.

17th Jan 2011, 22:53
Not sure if you are aware of it but there is a spotterssite that is usually good for info, www.nwan.co.uk (http://www.nwan.co.uk)

Not saying all movements are accurate and 100% gospel of what happens at the airport, but the monthly newsletter is informative and does breakdown into various categories. It may help, if not, you may gain some useful contacts for going forward.:)

The AvgasDinosaur
20th Jan 2011, 12:26
When you have the registration of the aircraft you are interested in try here for ownership details
GINFO Database Search | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1)
Hope it helps.
Be lucky
David

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Jan 2011, 00:36
Good luck with your job hunting. Being an ex-Emerald person, then I can simply say that you didn't miss out on too much to be honest!

It was a great foot on the ladder, but nothing more than that.

N707ZS
22nd Jan 2011, 07:49
Skydrift Norwich is the only small UK cargo airline with one Bandit after that you have Atlantic at Coventry, Jet 2 and Titan but these two just operate the mail flights.

There are a number of aircraft about the Midlands and Southend but these are from European and Eastern block Countrys.