PDA

View Full Version : Whether to become a pilot or not...?

MatthewCoakley
10th Jan 2011, 20:20
Hi, thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this thread.

I'm 15, and have (for as long as I can remember) wanted to become a pilot when I am older. I went on work experience to Manchester Airport in Oct. 2010 with Flybe airlines. I enjoyed every second of it, and it only reinforced my ambitions to become a pilot when I finish sixth form college.

I am aware of the economic and social damage that will occur, but after 4 hours in the air, I just want more. I have been looking through the forums for quite a while now, and have received a mixture of feelings throughout. Some people seem to think that, if they could, they would choose another career path, but others seem to adore their job and wouldn't swap it for the world!?

I know that the job will only suit certain personalities, and on my work experience every pilot that I spoke to in the briefing room claimed to love their job. I met a whole bunch of people and am now in contact with a few experienced pilots within the industry, from not only Flybe, but other major airlines and executives at flying schools. And I have often heard the phrase assosciated with the aviation industry; "It's not what you know, but who you know".

I have managed to secure myself a job at a local flying school starting in April of this year, working Saturdays and getting a discount on flying lessons. I will be refuelling aircraft, towing them in and out of the hangar, cleaning them, answering phones, tea/coffee making and other general office duties. I am extremely happy and lucky to have been able to get this job, as I think it will set me up nicely, and increase my confidence as I go into sixth form and then the world of work after that.

So my questions to you experienced people are:
Would you do it again? Do you enjoy your job? Would you rather be doing anything else? If so, why?

I've done my thorough research and know the costs and sacrifices that come with the role as an airline pilot, and just want some extra information from those who are in the industry, who have the first hand knowledge and who can honestly and anonymously say what they really think.

Thanks again for your time,
Matthew.

redsnail
10th Jan 2011, 21:23
Love my job.
Fly a bizjet all over the place.
It's been a hard slog but ultimately worth it.

Make the contacts, work hard, get the best grades you can get at school, save as much money as you can.
You're young, there's no rush.

Find out if you're colour blind/diabetic.
Protect your hearing.

NDW
10th Jan 2011, 21:32
Hi Matthew,

Firstly, good for you for making the effotr for gaining work experience at an Airport, half the scrotes at my school left it to the school itself to organise work ex. for them.

I did exactly the same as you when I was 15/16, I did work ex. at my local airport, but for a small flying company which involved; maintenance, answering phones and general duties etc.

I am currently a Operations Assistant (Volunteer) with another Flying School at present, in which I love every second of it, it's a fantastic trade to get into.

Now, for the Civilian Airline Pilot side of things, unfortunately I can't offer any advice as I am no expert in that field, as I was more interested in the Military Aviation side (I come from a military background, Father is Ex. RM Commando, Grandad was ex. Army).

The key areas though are to gain excellent academic qualifications e.g. 5 A*-C grades inc. Maths, English and a Science, but obviously aim for more than 5 GCSE's.
Then you will need a minimum of 2 'A' Levels in either Maths and/or Physics (But Ex./Current or in training Pilots can recommend those).

Last but no least, keep your motivation and determination up, keep fit and all that sort and gain the important PPL,CPL and ATPL licenses plus all the ratings (As stated above, the experts can help) that you can obtain and need.

All the very best with your future.

NDW.

wingisland
14th Jan 2011, 12:48
Same as first response, I fly corporate, go all over the place, met some great people along the way, and cant think of anything I'd rather be doing.

That said, it was (and still is) a long hard slog, social life takes a battering, along with your bank balance and possibly your parents/relatives bank balances!

To be brutally honest I probably wouldnt advise it to anyone. I've got friends who went to uni, are now lawyers, doctors etc, easily making double my income, but money isnt everything!

In my opinion you have really got to have a passion for this industry, and the sheer bloody mindedness to keep going when times are tough (as they have been recently).

My advice is speak to your flying school about who they use for medicals, and get yourself one. Its worth the £100 now, speak to the doctor and ask him if he can see anything that would stop you from getting a class 1 medical (issued at gatwick initially and very expensive!). If thats ok go to uni, get a degree, and if it appeals try to fly in the military, pay is great, and all training costs covered, plus a bloody good cv when you leave.

All the best

go around flaps15
14th Jan 2011, 18:12
Hello Matthew I got involved in aviation at your age and have never looked back. There are many pitfalls and many things I probably would have done differently but all in all the path to the here and now(B-737) was very enjoyable. I have a very nice quality of life at the moment and I dont mind getting up at 4am four days in a row.

My advice is network network network with as many people as you can. Try not to upset too many people as this industry is very small. Explore every single option if you do decide to train.

Would I do it all over again?

Absolutely.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Jan 2011, 20:10
Matt, as has been mentioned a very mature post from you, which is encouraging.

I am professional pilot and to answer your questions, yes, yes and no.

If you have the flare, passion and love for flying and aviation, you will love the job as a pilot.

All the best with your career sir.

MatthewCoakley
18th Jan 2011, 17:05
Thanks a lot for your very encouraging responses. They have helped to reinforce my ambitions to become a pilot, and I know that there's no rush, I don't need to get my license by the age of 20, I can go to University, start work, get some savings and then start to think about beginning training.

Thanks again,

Matthew.

Piltdown Man
19th Jan 2011, 15:27
Matthew, that looks like one of the best plans I've seen in ages. There are for too many idiots out there who will start flying training with neither a degree, funds nor any idea about how to get their first job. The result is that they end up unemployed, unemployable and hopelessly in debt (and whinging on this site). Your plan will allow you to mature at uni, become more employable, have a fallback option and have reduced debts together with a clearer understanding of your ambitions gained with maturity.

Well done, best of luck!

PM

JCBeadle
20th Jan 2011, 08:57
Matthew,

It is good to have a solid plan in place for the future, stick to it, and you should be fine. I wish you every success in the future!

Piltdown Man,

Yes, there are many people out there who start flying training without a degree, funds or doing the proper research. I will agree that not doing the proper research before flight training will make you a blind fool! But not all of these people are idiots. Everyone's situation is different, and we all make our own decisions. For example, I like quite a few other people left after A-Levels and didn't go on to do a degree. It was a personal choice (I really didn't know what to do with my life back then) but I have always wanted to be a pilot and have now stuck to this goal. I have been in full time employment ever since leaving college which was about three years ago now, and am saving for my pilot training. Like Matthew, I realise there is no rush, I can save money and not be in debt, and complete small chunks of training. And another thing to think about is, while getting a degree is a good thing to fall back on, you have to take into account that with tuition fees piling up (thanks to our new government) most students will come out from uni with a huge debt, and no guarantee of a job. I am not slating Matthew's choice at all, all I will say is plan carefully and budget for the costs ahead.

Happy Flying:cool:

J