PDA

View Full Version : School witholding licence app form - help

ariel
11th Apr 2001, 01:29
Hope someone can give me some advice:

I've completed about half of my PPL course at one particular flying school. (Also done most of the written exams).

I've now decided to finish the PPL at another school, BUT find that my present school refuse to give me my licence application form, (with details of my exam passes on it).

My concern is; without this form, what proof have I got that I've passed these exams? How can I get the form?

I'm worried by this, hope somebody can help

Thanks all

PS Apologise if this post appears more than once - server crashed twice, so had to post it again.

TooHotToFly
11th Apr 2001, 01:39
Unless you have left some bad debts they have absolutely no right to hold on to your paperwork. Get in touch with the CAA - they don't look too kindly on this kind of thing.

Pielander
11th Apr 2001, 01:40
Promise them a bit of publicity :)

Sagey
11th Apr 2001, 03:09
Write them a friendly but strong letter stating why you want to leave the school, why you need your documents to continue your PPL at another school and cc it to the CAA.

If that don't work umm get a lawyer to write a stronger letter

Sagey

PFO
11th Apr 2001, 07:18
Ask them why not!!!

Don't forget this is a PUBLIC FORUM.

PFO

Sensible
11th Apr 2001, 09:55
Ask the boss man him/herself for the documentation, if they are still not forthcoming, get all your facts straight and then post them on this forum, then enlist the aid of the CAA. You will get your documentation eventually.

capt_kangeroo
11th Apr 2001, 13:02
Same thing happened to me with my IMC. I was working for an certain establishment in Cranfield and decided to leave their employ. Lo and behold my exam results and training record suddenly disappeared.... a solicitors letter soon sorted them out. It didn't cost much but if you don't have the cash or time to go through legal channels, go to the CAA and write to the flying magazines warning other students - of course, using your discretion and not naming the gulity.

I think you'll find your records in the post rather quickly!

GJB
11th Apr 2001, 14:35
I wouldn't stand for that - bunch of cowboys.

As has been previously suggested - write them a letter advising you will be contacting the CAA if you paperwork doesn't follow within, say 3-4 days.

ariel
11th Apr 2001, 18:03
Thanks guys/gals

Letter is being drafted at this moment - if it doesn't do the trick, I'll try some of the suggestions you made - cheers

'I' in the sky
14th Apr 2001, 13:17
I've known the CAA not to get involved in situations like this regardless of whether or not money is owed to the school.

Anyone from the CAA at liberty to say whether they can actually do anything in these situations ?

Grandad Flyer
14th Apr 2001, 13:23
If no money involved I would suggest going to the school in person and plan B) would be to send them a letter detailing your passes and when and asking why they are not giving you the application form and copy the letter to Flyer and Pilot and write "cc Pilot cc Flyer" on the bottom of the letter so they are completely aware.
I suspect you may then get an answer.
I think its appalling that they should try such a cheap trick.

StrateandLevel
15th Apr 2001, 22:01
All PPL examinations are conducted by an "examiner" appointed by the CAA. The examiner represents the CAA and conducts the examinations on their behalf. Get yourself a blank PPL applicaton form, then go to the examiner in person and ask him to sign for the examinations you have passed. If you failed any examinations you should have been given a F252 notice of failure.

If the examiner refuses, contact the CAA Standards Support and give them the examiners name. If you don't get any satisfaction mention the words Regualtion 6 Appeal on the grounds that the examinations were not conducted properly.